My new girlfriend Paula

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

My new girlfriend Paula

Postby TheDude » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:02 am

Got me a new squeeze. Came in the mail yesterday. Been doing the wild thing with her all night long. I'm now trying to do some work, but that sexy vixen just keeps staring at me. 8)

It's a Les Paul clone, called Vintage Lemon Drop. Assembled in Vietnam, but designed by Trevor Wilkinson with all Wilkinson hardware and pickups. Reverse wiring a la Peter Green. And totally relic'd. Looks very nice, plays like a dream and sounds excellent. Supposedly the pickups are part-for-part copies of vintage PAFs.

Very sweet clean sounds and packs a real whallop when driven hard. Played some ZZ Top and Gary Moore and it works admirably for that. Middle position has a nice Freddie King sound to it.

I'm mucho proud of my new baby. Mrs Dude is still traveling for the next two weeks, which means I really don't have anything better to do at night. Guess I'll have to play Paula instead... :mrgreen:

Here's a picture. Hope it works... :wha: First time I'm uploading a pic on the forum.

Cheers guys!
Attachments
Vintage_Lemon_drop.jpg
TheDude
Regular

Re: My new girlfriend Paula

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Cool deal Dude! It sounds like the timing was perfect as well. It's pretty.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Cool! First Vietnamese guitar I've heard of.
ricochet
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:37 am

Beaucoup nicey nice G.I. Paula love you long time.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 am

texas blues wrote:Beaucoup nicey nice G.I. Paula love you long time.
Cheers, TB.

Ha !!!!

Good-looking Guitar there.
I would like to try one.
I'm currently in the market for another axe.
grady
Regular

Postby TheDude » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 am

According to the Mrs us guitar types are ALWAYS in the market for a new axe! :D

Yup, TB, she love me looong time. Multiple times. She wails and moans like a pro! 8)

Yeah, can't say I'd heard of Vietnamese guitars before either, but the workmanship is pretty good. I know they're excellent woodworkers though. The finish on the top isn't as orange as the picture, it's more yellowish.

Can't say much about the quality of the finish, cuz it's a relic. It's meant to have flaws. The way they did the ageing on the top is pretty good. They've got pick-scratches, a stain of where your forearm would lean on the body, small nicks here and there indicating it's been banged around and even drill-holes of where the supposed pickguard used to be. The faded, matt finish in my opinion also allows the wood to resonate more. The fretboard is a really dark rosewood, much nicer than my Epi SG. The relic-job on the back is a bit less successful. It's supposed to be faded from years of belt-buckle-rubbing, but you can tell they just stopped painting that bit. But it's on the back, so it's ok.

If you look on youtube and search for "vintage lemon drop" you'll get some clips. Check out the clips by Roy Fulton to get a good idea of what she sounds like.
TheDude
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm currently in the market for another axe.

What does that put you up to Grady? Do you still have my old LP?
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I have a few Guitars now.
Yep, still got it.

Now that I'm teaching guitar, I have the perfect excuse to buy more instruments.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:12 am

grady wrote:I have a few Guitars now.
Yep, still got it.

Now that I'm teaching guitar, I have the perfect excuse to buy more instruments.

I got another one, actually my girlfriend inadvertently gave me this one, telling me my guitar didn't match with my shirt... I was quick to point out buying a new guitar was the only solution, seeing as I've already got enough shirts and I can only wear one at the same time :lol: :lol:
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 am

TheDude wrote:Reverse wiring a la Peter Green. [...] Middle position has a nice Freddie King sound to it.

I have one of my LPs wired out-of-phase on a push-pull pot (so I can put it back in phase). This wiring only has an effect when using both pickups. I find it's a very BB King/T-Bone Walker sound (as well as the obvious Peter Green sound).

Here's a picture. Hope it works... :wha: First time I'm uploading a pic on the forum.

Looks like it worked! Very nice.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby goldbrick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:25 am

Looks kool and hope it plays well for you.

Just wouldn't personally buy anything from Viet Nam ( 58,000 reasons why )
goldbrick
Regular

Postby TheDude » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am

goldbrick wrote:Looks kool and hope it plays well for you.

Just wouldn't personally buy anything from Viet Nam ( 58,000 reasons why )

Well, that had me doubting for a while too, but the shop has a 30-day money back guarantee so I figured I could always send it back.

The wood is actually nicer than what you see on an Epi. Neck is straight, nut's cut correctly, frets are well dressed (no sharp edges). Of course, it's a relic which means the finish isn't perfect, but then it's made to have imperfections (convenient?). The low E and A strings have a slight buzz, but it's nothing disturbing and I like low action, so that's probably why.

So far the only "workmanship issue" I found is the inlays on the fretboard. Those are far from perfectly done. You can see traces (smudges) of woodfiller around most of the inlays and there's even a small nick which they didn't even bother to fill up. However, this is purely cosmetic. Fretboard's still smooth and it doesn't hinder playability at all.

For the same money as an Epi you have better wood, hardware and way better pickups. If you get the non-relic version with a glossy top and standard pickups it's even cheaper than a standard Epi.
TheDude
Regular

Postby roadkill46 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 pm

[quote="TheDude"]Got me a new squeeze. Came in the mail yesterday. Been doing the wild thing with her all night long. I'm now trying to do some work, but that sexy vixen just keeps staring at me. 8) "

Here's one of my Red Korean Whore for you also!!!!
red korean whore.jpg
roadkill46
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:01 am

Nice! In Jezebel red too! Hope you enjoy mucho bang bang with that plank! Spank it hard.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby roadkill46 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:08 am

yeah baby, she's got these great knobs too, i had to get her a knob job, but they look great
knob.gif
knob.gif (12.55 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Sorry "Dude" didn't mean to hijack your thread, you know, all them Ho's is the same!!!
roadkill46
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues