Shure 520D vs 520DX

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Shure 520D vs 520DX

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:00 am

Oh all-knowledgeable harp mic gurus,

I've got a Shure 520DX Green Bullet - one of the newer Mexican ones with a dynamic element and a volume control. I quite enjoy it and it was a good price (US$81 on special). I also have a few other mics, including an Eggstatic and a few variations on the SM-58 clone theme. Now I have an opportunity to pick up a Shure 520D with a CM element, assembled in Mexico. No volume control.

I know the CM elements are much respected by those pursuing the Chicago Blues sound. The question is, are the Mexican assembled CMs still as good as the 'classic' US assembled 520Ds? I can cope without the volume control (the DX is the only mic I have with it), but some advice on whether the CM is significantly better than the dynamic element would be appreciated.

Thanks
MakaInOz
Regular

Re: Shure 520D vs 520DX

Postby bottleneck » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:38 am

once you use the CM ,you probably won't use the dynamic again.in fact i'd shop for a CM/CR and gasket now for your current mic.you can buy a proper CR/CM gasket at http://www.harpmicgaskets.com and learn all about shure elements at http://www.greenbulletmics.com.

american vs. mexican CM: they sound almost exactly the same as do black label CR's.it would be nice to think that vintage cr"s and cm's sound better,or that american elements sound better,but they don't.people that say they do believe the the hype.as long as you have a good bassy shure element that is hi z or converted to it,it doesn't matter what year or country.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am

get a cm. you won't regret it. whether you buy a mic or swap a fresh element into your current bullet, i think you'll get excited by the low end of a cm. in fact, it may be a good idea to use the current mic with volume control.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bluesbros1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:58 pm

I recently had a lesson from one the area's best pro harp players and recording artists. I brought both my 520DX and my Mexican 520D with a CM element to the lesson. I had him play both--He liked the 520DX better. He said if you can play, you can make any mic sound good and mentioned that the amp is much more important than the mic. He said performers really like the ability to turn on or off their mic. I was really surprised because, I like many of you, have read through everything on the web that the 520DX has no reason to exist compared to the controlled magnetic or reluctance harp mics.
Well....chaulk one up for the 520DX
bluesbros1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I have had very limited exposure to mics, since I own just a 520DX and a Hohner Bluesblaster; If you want the dirtiest tone possible, then you should only go that direction, but I can also tell you that ALOT of my playin' has been when being asked up on stage when some of my buddies spot me in the crowd, and then I'm almost always playin' through a SM58 (or a clone of it) eq'd for voice, runnin' right into the mains. Since alot of bands who don't have a harper are used to guys gettin' up who can't play well, even blowin' thru a 58 is good enough to get the job done very well, if you know how to use the mic without gettin' feedback. So, I agree that you can sound very, very good with any decent mic. It's all a matter of taste. There is also the opinion that you can brown the tone so much that you turn the harp into an assault instrument. I love Jason Ricci and Rod Piazza, but those two guys are perfect examples of guys who have sought the dark tones and executed them to an extent that it can be overkill. It doesn't bother me at all, but I've sat with people who thought it was too much.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 am

bluesbros1 wrote:I recently had a lesson from one the area's best pro harp players and recording artists.

steve cohen?
bottleneck
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 am

Thanks guys,

I'll temper my GAS and only get it if its a real bargain price (i.e if I can convince the domestic management that it is necessary)
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 am

i just rewired my brown bullet w/cm. i am a happy camper! about to plug it into the new bassman. hold on...........

ahhhhhh YES, just like it should- nice bottom end, good mids, pretty hot at volume, gotta be careful to keep the volume just below feedback! nice.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:20 am

yeah man,if your not using an astatic 101,151,or 127 a CM/CR is the way to go.why mess around with any thing else in a bullet?

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues