Something "New" For My Organ

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Something "New" For My Organ

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:04 am

This is supposed to arrive at my office tomorrow, via FedEx Freight, on an 18-wheeler:

http://oldengine.org/members/culp/Series1095.jpg

I told 'em to just stop the 18-wheeler on the street out front, and I'll run out with a hand truck and wrestle the box down.

It's a Hammond Series 10 Tone Cabinet, a 10-95 to be specific. It's made as a complement to the H series organs, and the last two digits indicate the furniture style. The one that actually matches my H-182 would be a 10-82, but this is close enough for me. What it's got in it are two main channel amplifiers, one of which has reverb and one doesn't, and they have opposite phasing on the vibrato and celeste just as the internal amps in the organ do, and it has a center bass channel that's synthesized from low-pass filters combining the bass from both channels just as in the organ. Two 8" speakers and a 15", all nice '60s Jensen alnicos. No moving speakers as in a Leslie, this was made at the tail end of the period when Laurens Hammond still ruled at Hammond, and he hated Leslie. The H-100 organs and accompanying tone cabinets were supposed to be Leslie-proof, but Leslie had an adapter kit out in about a week. Leslies are out of my price range, though. This'll fatten up my sound a little, by doubling everything. (It already rattles and buzzes the pictures on the wall with the bass.)

The guy who got the organ with the cabinet is fixing it up to give to one of his students. :)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

RE: Something "New" For My Organ

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:22 am

Found a pic of the inside of one of these. (Yeah, it's solid state.)

http://oldengine.org/members/culp/Series10inside.jpg

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:34 am

That's COOL buddy! CONGRATS!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:40 am

Thanks! I'm hoping, of course, that it arrives more or less intact.

ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:04 am

Lovely piece, to boot.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby crowduck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:30 am

Those pictures remind me of church on Sunday's when I was a kid in the 50's, singing in the choir..........Ah, memories.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 am

You do realise that you are nothing but a power crazed acquisitive megalomaniac? The next thing is you'll live in an exponential house.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Dunno what you mean by an exponential house, but I do try to keep paths clear so I can move around in my space. Mrs. Rico, OTOH, likes to keep everything perfectly tidy, which occasionally causes minor domestic conflict.

ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Exponential house - speaker in a small (smallest?) room, ever expanding corridors/rooms/hallways, flared porch. Let's see you get this past herself.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Something

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:22 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-06 AT 09:23 AM (EST)]Ah, the exponential horn design. Interesting concept, but likely not going to fly. Where it is, though, the open entrance to the room connects through several pathways to the entire house, and the cabinet's going to end up in a corner over a hardwood floor, so the bass will really get a boost. Actually, I'd thought about setting it just outside the room, around the corner from the organ in the entrance foyer at the base of the stairs, but Mrs. R wants it back in the corner next to the organ. If the cable's long enough, I might snake it behind the big desk/bookcase I've got my home computer on, and put it on the other side of it, back in the corner next to the TV. I'd have to move some stuff there. I think a wide separation of the "Main" (organ console) and "Echo" (cabinet) units would probably sound best. But you can safely bet that when I get it home, it'll first go where Mrs. R is expecting it to.
:)

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:35 pm

Man..... Thats a pretty piece of musical history there friend and I know it'll put out some lovely tones!!!! A really good friend and jammin' buddy of mine is a Hammond nut also and has one of those in his collection that includes 4 more Leslie cabs!!! Thats a rockin machine there. Congradulations. I understand they are very hard to find.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby trguitar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:52 pm

Looks like a piece of furniture ... Mrs. Rico has to like that.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah, she first freaked about "Where are you going to put it? There's no space!" But I showed her the picture, and she thinks it's pretty. She likes to hear the organ, even with my hack playing, and the idea that it'll "richen up the tone" resonates with her. So I'm OK with it.

The EICO 666 tube tester that's also on the way may be a harder sell, but we'll see about that when it gets here.

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:48 pm

This thing is gorgeous. The picture's accurate, but doesn't really do it justice. Inside it's as clean as the day it was made, too, not a spiderweb, bit of dust, rust or tarnish. Those Jensen speakers are sweet looking things. I believe they're the same as the ones in the organ, just shinier. (This box hasn't had a mouse resort in it.)

The cabinet is lined with insulation and the back is closed. The large chamber in the bottom with the power supply, amps and 15" woofer in it is a ported enclosure with three ports about 1 1/4" in diameter. One is in the bottom right next to the speaker, and two go into the upper chamber with the 8" main speakers. All exterior openings are closed with grille cloth. It worked for keeping out bugs and spiders, unless of course they just don't have those things in Kansas. It's made, as is the organ, of plywood and particle board covered with pretty walnut veneer. It's very solid and sturdy, and quite pretty. I'll touch up a few little scratches with scratch-hide oil, but they're not prominent.

It has two controls in the back, for "Treble" and "Volume." They're three-position switches. They came set to "Brilliant" and "Loud." Those sound like the settings for me!

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:47 pm

I can't think of any bugs around here. Unless the Brown Recluse spiders, Black Widows and Scorpions are what you mean.

Looks great Rico. Would have been fun to load it in my truck and run it out to you.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues