OK, I'm Stupid, But I've Got To Know

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

OK, I'm Stupid, But I've Got To Know

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:26 pm

Why do some tube amps have a standby switch and others do not? Is there an inherent advantage for one or the other? I'm just trying to glean all the knowledge I can before I start my tube amp search seriously.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: OK, I'm Stupid, But I've Got To Know

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:15 pm

The only advantage of a standby switch is that it allows quick muting of the amp, and resuming without having to warm the tubes up. There's a myth that the standby switch prolongs tube life by not applying plate voltage until the cathode's fully warm (that is if the user understands how to work the switch this way), but that's never been demonstrated to be true with small receiving type vacuum tubes as found in guitar amps. No consumer equipment was made with standby switches in the tube era. You turned on your radio, TV, etc. and it all came up together.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Standby switches are nice if you're amp has a loud hum normally...the standby switch will normally knock that outa the loop. It's a small thing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:44 am

As related...on a 100 watt Marshall plugged into a Strat..a standby switch is a good thing.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:17 am

Live shows or in the studio I switch guitars a lot, for tunins..sound..tones..etc. standby is good for for this,not to get the snap crackle and pops, My delta 30 does not have a standby, so I use a circuit beaker cord for this, but now I use the circuit beaker cord for everything, so I don't have to go near the amp when swappin guitars
601blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues