Question on speaker replacement

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Question on speaker replacement

Postby sweetness » Fri May 05, 2006 2:19 pm

OK, I think I'm going to get a Peavey cab for my new Valve Junior Head. It's got a Peavey 10" speaker in it. How hard is it to replace the speaker? Is it something a reasonably non-mechanical person (like me) could do? I can follow directions and use hand tools, but I'm not your standard DIY'er.

TIA,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

RE: Question on speaker replacement

Postby ricochet » Sat May 06, 2006 3:14 am

Peavey makes good speakers. I wouldn't worry about replacing it till you give it a real good try like it came first.

As for replacing it, usually the wires to the speaker simply attch to the lugs on the speaker by sliding on and off. The speaker is bolted on, and you'll need an appropriately sized nut driver to unscrew the nuts and replace them. Not too big a job. Sometimes the wires are soldered to the lugs. Then you have to unsolder and resolder them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun May 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Then you have to unsolder and resolder them.

Just a quick tip.

This is a no brainer for vet like Rico, but be sure to stand the amp upright before soldering the wires and lugs if you've already exchanged the speaker. I've seen guys lay their amps on the face because it makes the back more accessable to work on them. It's real easy to drop a glob of hot solder and have it burn right through the back of the paper cone of your new speaker. With the amp upright, it will fall harmlessly into the bottom of the cab.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

ricochet
Regular

Re: RE: Question on speaker replacement

Postby sweetness » Wed May 24, 2006 12:49 am

ricochet wrote:Peavey makes good speakers. I wouldn't worry about replacing it till you give it a real good try like it came first.

As for replacing it, usually the wires to the speaker simply attch to the lugs on the speaker by sliding on and off. The speaker is bolted on, and you'll need an appropriately sized nut driver to unscrew the nuts and replace them. Not too big a job. Sometimes the wires are soldered to the lugs. Then you have to unsolder and resolder them.

Well, Ric, I finally got the whole rig put together and guess what? I really like the Peavey speaker! You was right. In fact, I love the combo of the Valve Jr Head and the Peavey speaker so much that I actually unplugged my Keeley modded Blues Driver cause I don't want to mess with the tone I'm getting.

Yeah baby!

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 3:34 pm

I've owned a couple Peavey amps and my PA speakers are Peavey. Never been dissapointed.
trguitar
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed May 24, 2006 4:12 pm

I have and love 2 peavey classic 50s 1 has 4/10s and the other 2/12s my 4/10 was purchased in 89 I believe, We were doin a gig for the weekend in new orleans a fri and sat night ,when we left the first night the place caught fire,and burned heavely the stage sec was not burned but had heavy smoke and water damage on all our eq, I had takin my guitars with me the only thing I left there was my classic 50, we found out the next day and went ta see what we could salvage, I found my 50, Totaly cover in Black soot, I poured water outta it and almost cried, I payed a lotta money for that amp and I loved it,Well I took it home and set up 2 saw horses in the back yard layed it down on its back on the horses all weekend and the next week turned it over face down and left it like that in the sun for several weeks!! Then I took ajax and started cleanin the tweed the best I could to this day I still have soot deep inda tweed grain,After I cleaned it I took it into da garage and plugged it in, I took a stick so I didn't get shocked, and turned it on I heard the fans and it seemed ok! I got muh guitar and pluged it in!! And ive been playin her ever sience!!The biggest thing is smoke smell, one night I had a drummer tell me my amp is burnin he ca smell smoke!!I told him da fire was put out 20yrs ago!! Ive never changed tubes or speakers ,have had ta fix a broken wire in da foot switch 2 times, My 2/12 was a couple months old and I was leaving a gig in Jackson Ms, put her in da back of my pickup,and I had a few gin and tonic's after the show,and forgot to close my tailgate and she fell out I was goin about 45 I headr somphin and looked in my mirror and saw her slidin down da road matal corners throwin sparks!! looked kinda cool!! I did replace the corners, but she wails, so my peaveys deserve ta play da Blues!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 pm

Now those are amps!

There's a player here who did the same thing with a Peavey solid state amp. Fell out of the back of his pickup zooming down the highway. He picked it up, went on and played it at his gig. Beat it up all ugly, but it works fine.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed May 24, 2006 6:18 pm

Peavey stuff is tough and dependable!!! and sounds purdy good as well, I had ta have a Marshall so I buy a full stack Jcm 900, sounds great when it works!! always beakin down,I ve had ta replace the tubes 2 times in it, I still don't know how ta hook up the speakers correct on it can't get anybody at Marshall that can help with anything, I have spent enough money on repairs on that Marshall I coulda bought a new classic 50 and had lunch!! Everytime I take the Marshall to a gig I have one of my beatup peaveys standin by!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Those are some great amp stories,601. Maybe those disasters imparted some more mojo to the amps. I guess I won't worry so much about how I lay my amps on the carpet in the back of my van anymore,lol! My main harp giggin' amp is a Peavey 30 Classic,with the pre-amp powered down,and I haven't had any problems with that,but I don't gig alot either,and I'm never more than 50 miles outa town.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed May 24, 2006 6:57 pm

:shock: Jeff I mess around with the harp as well, I play bushmans,soul voice natural minor, and delta frost major, anyway splain, what cha talkin bout preamp powered down!! Iam interested, not up much on harp amplification?
601blues
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Wed May 24, 2006 8:30 pm

Im almost sure he means tube swapped from a hi output 12AX7 tube to a 12AU7 or a 12AT7.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 24, 2006 8:43 pm

THEBLUESBOX wrote:Im almost sure he means tube swapped from a hi output 12AX7 tube to a 12AU7 or a 12AT7.
You got it,Bluesbox. Goin' with lower gain pre-amp tubes (the first one in the line of pre-amp tubes) allows you to overdrive the signal (turn it up) and get a dirtier harp sound. See http://www.thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues