Harmony H400A amp?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Harmony H400A amp?

Postby sweetness » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:27 am

I'm looking at buying one of these. Do any guitarists have any experience with one?

Sound is nice and warm. But of breakup at 11 (no kidding, volume goes to 12). Not very loud,though, but I could use my Blues Driver pedal to boost it.

Thanks,
Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

RE: Harmony H400A amp?

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:57 pm

I've never played one but I have heard very nice things about those old Harmony amps. I've never met a little amp like that that I didn't like.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby djflash » Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 am

I have a H400A the sweatest small amp my man! I play blues harp with it not guitar, its not very loud no but sounds great and can be mic-ed to be an awesome sounding unit ! I crank it up to max and can jam with any mic on it. Wouldnt part with it at almost any cost :-)
djflash
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Wed May 03, 2006 4:51 pm

I'd be careful with it though. Did you know this uses line voltage to power the tubes? If it shorts out you get the full amount right on the lips!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby sweetness » Wed May 03, 2006 6:08 pm

I posted on a Harmony forum and was told the same -- these things are major safety hazards (as in, you could get electrocuted). I'm not an electrician and as much as I loved the sound, it wasn't to die for (nyuk nyuk).

I went ahead and got the Valve Junior Head instead and am now looking for a cab to go through.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby djflash » Wed May 03, 2006 7:24 pm

well Im aware of this fact and there is a fix for any old tube amps with a 2 prong plug. You can or can get a 3 prong grounded plug installed installed. I am yet to do it but have been thinking of getting it done the more I think about it. If I could find the instructions to doing it online I would do it myself.

For the present I have a danelectro solid state that will arive at my door tomorrow this is a new experiment for me to try it with harp, the reviews say its the sweatest to tube tone in a solid state out of all the solids out there. So Im going to give it a wack, that'll keep me busy until I get the harmony gounded :-)
djflash
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Fri May 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Regrettably it's not a fix for ANY old tube amps with a 2 prong plug, it only works if you have a mains transformer for the HT B+ line, which the Harmony doesn't. The Harmony only has the transformer for 6.3V heaters and the output transformer. You could install a 1:1 isolation transformer but it's probably going to be expensive....
I'd suggest using a RCD circuit breaker (the type you use with electric garden tools) while playing this amp if it's not modified.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby sweetness » Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 pm

That's what someone on the Harmony forum said. Again, is the tone really to die for?

I really LOVED the sound. But I didn't want that on my tombstone -- "He died searching for the perfect tone." At least not just yet.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat May 06, 2006 7:58 am

Hey dj, is that the Danelectro Nifty Fifty you're getting? They're a nice little harp amp for a solid state one. I put a review on harmony central last year when I got one - I'm a harp player too. I've made the change to tubes this year, and built my own amp, but I'm keeping the nifty fifty too, as it's small and easily carried and I can use it for guitar to get an overdriven sound at a lower volume than my 5 watt tube amp. Just don't touch that dirty/sweet knob for harp though!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby djflash » Sat May 06, 2006 11:43 pm

yeah its the nifty fifty got it a few days ago, sweet as pie for harp and no I dont touch that knob either lol ..... Hey for a non tube amp its a great small amp.

Now about the harmony your telling I cant install a 3 prong plug? I got a schematic from a guy showing me how to do it, just ground the chassis and putting a fuse in the hot line.
djflash
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sun May 07, 2006 3:31 pm

Glad you like the Nifty Fifty, they're a good fun amp.
I'm not saying you can't make the Harmony safe, just making it safe is different than the grounding modifications for something like a fender or kalamazoo.
The schematic for your amp is here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/bargainb ... y_400a.pdf
I used schematic heaven to get the schmatic and layout for the fender champ/princeton hybrid I build for myself.
Hopefully this bit- http://www.triodeel.com/otherfaq.html should answer some of the questions on making the Harmony safe. My experience is in making an amp using transformers for HT voltage, so I'd strongly recommend taking your harmony to someone who really knows about these things and getting it grounded.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 7:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-07-06 AT 03:37 PM (EST)]Ooops! I just looked at that schematic. It's set up almost like an AC/DC amp, with one conductor of the mains line hooked to the chassis. You CAN'T ground that. You'd get an intense blue flash and pop when you plugged it in, then your circuit breaker would trip and your lights would go out. The only way to run that completely without risk of shock is to plug it into an isolation transformer. However, you can make it a lot safer by replacing the cord with a polarized two-prong one arranged so that the neutral wire of the socket is always connected to the chassis. As long as somebody didn't wire a socket backwards, you're OK with that.

You can identify these things at a glance by the half wave rectifier. (35W4)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues