Fender Super Champ XD

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Fender Super Champ XD

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:08 pm

So has anybody played through this new little amp yet...? My music store failed to order out of the first supplies, and now they're waiting for their backordered units. I'm anxious to try it for harp, since it's "tuck under your arm" size...perfect for luggin' to rehearsal or small jams. I checked the schematics a while back, and they look fine for harp, ignoring the fx.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fender Super Champ XD

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:05 am

Where are all those rich harp players with GAS when you need them to go and test drive an amp?

In Oz, the Johnson T25R is almost half the price of the Super Champ XD. It has a 2 x 12AX7 preamp (there seems to be some debate as to the role of the 1 x 12AX7 in the Super Champ XD), a 'real' reverb tank and 25W RMS. Yet it has almost identical dimensions (inc weight). No fancy DSP, but it does have an effects loop with wet/dry control. Both use SS rectifiers and have an external speaker output, but no line out.

Bangs for buck, the Johnson T25R is a better potential harp amp - in Oz anyway.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:07 pm

OK, I give up, what the heck does "GAS" mean? *something* Amp Syndrome?
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:00 pm

GAS = Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. It can develop on its own through continued exposure to large assortments of gear/guitars, or it can be caught from consorting with gear/guitar whores and addicts who are happy to spread the infection. 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Luckily for me, I only have a mild case. In the past 3-4 years I've bought two vintage amps, a signal splitter (only $30) and a pre-amp (Harp Commander Jr.)

I recently sent one of my mics to be modded and reapired, and I'll probably buy some kind of delay/reverb pedal in the near future. But I have pretty much all of the gear I'll need for a while.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. See my "I broke my no new guitars promise" thread under Electric Blues. 8)
Now I want to try out one of the new Blackheart 5w stacks to go with it. Luckily, they aren't in stock at the on-line megastores (and I'm unlikely to buy one on-line, having never heard one in person) and I don't live anywhere near a dealer.
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:01 pm

I finally got a chance to blow some harp through one of these little 15 watters, and I wasn't plugged in long. It was way tinnier than even my old Silverface Champ, lacking any semblance of bottom end response, even with the bass dimed and the treble & mids off. They did have a nice old Valco 1X10 sittin' there, but at $750.00 (U.S.) I just gave it a lookover and left. I gained even more appreciation for my Epi Valve Special for harpin' after playin' the new little Fender. I'm startin' to think that the Epi's bigger 15 Watt brother (I think it's the Valve Standard) might be a very good harp amp for even small gigs; Anybody ever harp through one of those...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby frobozz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 pm

I tried a friend's model this weekend. It sounds mighty good with guitar (perhaps a couple of modes are a bit boxy, but hey...) but it's just not a harp amp. It's got a single input that's pretty hot, and even though I could probably calm it down a bit with a different pre-amp tube, the amp sounded very "shreddy" on the modes that were usable at all -- and most were not usable.

My preferred mode was the base Channel One mode, which (I was told) was based on a blackface Princeton. I still didn't think that much of it for harp.
frobozz
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:07 am

:twisted: I THINK I found the hidden message... :roll: :lol: :lol:

frobozz wrote:I tried a friend's model this weekend...perhaps a couple of modes are a bit boxy, but hey.....It's got a single input that's pretty hot, and even though I could probably calm it down a bit ...My preferred mode was base One, which I still didn't think that much of ...

ok, ok, I'll go take my pills :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues