Guitar bass

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Guitar bass

Postby stiff » Wed May 10, 2006 1:52 pm

Hello people,

I thought I'd start record some stuff soon I've been writing the last couple of months. Looking at my bank account, I quickly saw I can't afford a bass anytime soon... I remembered hearing about bands using a guitar for this instead (and quickly thought of Hound Dog Taylor). My question is: How would one do this most effectively? Should I tune down the strings, and if so, how much? Should I use thicker strings than usual? Etc. etc.

I have an old electric guitar I almost never use, so permanent modifications on the guitar could be possible.

Thanks.
stiff
Regular

RE: Guitar bass

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 5:08 pm

We're talking electric, right?

Octave pedal.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 pm

Rondo Music..... Great basses for less than $140. I've purchased 3 already and all of 'em were great.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Wed May 10, 2006 7:47 pm

Your problem will be the scale length combined with the pitch of the notes you're tuning to. The strings on a 25.5 inch scale bass would be really floppy. That's why basses are usually 34" scale - even the short-scale ones don't go below 30".

Pete
(http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com)
Find out about Bushy's Big Wheel Blues Fest 2006 - http://www.bigwheelblues.com
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby stiff » Wed May 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Just to make things clear, I didn't mean to tune down one whole octave and translating my guitar to a bass. I meant to fill in with bassier notes so to speak.

As for octave pedals, never thought of that... Wouldn't the price be around the same as a low priced bass though?

Thanks again
stiff
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 pm

>As for octave pedals, never thought of that... Wouldn't the
>price be around the same as a low priced bass though?
>
>Thanks again

Not necessarily:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150512

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=151871
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby stiff » Wed May 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Thanks man, saw some octave pedals ging quite cheap. Anyone used them for this kind of thing?
stiff
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 pm

>Thanks man, saw some octave pedals ging quite cheap. Anyone
>used them for this kind of thing?

Jack White has.

Actually, if the recording is being done on a computer then it would be an easy task to shift the guitar sounds down an octave ino the bass register without needing to buy anything extra.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stiff » Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 pm

Yeah, you're probably right. I have a light version of Ableton Live lying here somewhere, that could probably work. But still, any recomendations on heavier strings or something?
stiff
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm

Not unless you want to tune down into an alternate tuning.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby telemonkey » Thu May 11, 2006 1:16 pm

off topic...sort of.
Octave pedal can work pretty well with some tweaking and especially if your "bass" is going to be way back in the mix when you record. (And yes, Jack White makes great use of one).
Anyway, awhile back I was trying to record some rockabilly type stuff, kind of the Sun records sound. Now, I tried my bass with some slapback, I tried various sampled bass sounds on my drum machine, but everything sounded weak for recording and not what I wanted.
My main guitar is a '52 reissue telecaster, which has the original tele wiring (meaning the three way switch gives you either bridge pup, neck pup, OR neck pup with no tone control..the infamous useless, mud sound). Modern Teles of course don't have this set up and instead have a position for both bridge and neck pups combined.
One reason Leo designed the original Teles to be wired like this was because electric basses were not around yet. It was a way for studio guys/ radio broadcasters to fake a bass sound in the advent an upright wasn't available.
Long story short, I tried it with a little slap back echo and wham! instant Sun Records bass.
Point is, simply try first using your neck pup with the tone rolled all the way down, maybe add a little reverb or slap echo to muddy it. Use a real clean amp setting (again roll off the treble, boost bass and mid to taste) and keep the "bass" line real simple and staccatto. Keep the "bass" low and in the back of your mix.
telemonkey
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues