RE: Electric strings on an acoustic guitar

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby allanlummox » Thu May 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Stiff fines may be incurred...

Sure, in fact there are those that prefer them.

I use Nickel (electric) strings on a resonator guitar - just in heavier guages than the "typical" electric set.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri May 12, 2006 12:10 am

I like 'em. I've got a bunch of bronze strings, and cheap as I am I'll be using 'em for years. But when I run out, nickel electric strings is all I'm going to buy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri May 12, 2006 5:33 am

>Is that allowed?

They didn't have bronze strings in the 20s or 30s.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby grady » Fri May 12, 2006 6:13 am

Every Acoustic guitar I've played with Nickel or Steel strings on it has seemed lifeless and severely lacking of any real "Acoustic" tone.

But, that's just my opinion.

I would never think of putting anything but Bronze strings on my Martin.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 pm

They've got a brighter tone with more high harmonics than bronze strings. Though that's adding something, some hear that as a loss of bass or "thin" sound.

They last a lot longer than bronze strings, which soon start sounding duller due to tarnishing of the bronze. Brass wound strings go flat even quicker.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Sat May 13, 2006 1:07 am

I use them exclusively,Resonator,archtop,flatop,all the same
15-56 nickels,prefably GHS,

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 am

I use bronze on my acoustics (Martin, Taylor 12 string) and dobros (Rogue, Regal,and Galveston). Steel on all the electrics.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby savage » Mon May 15, 2006 3:14 am

The bronze strings on my tricone had gone dull and today I slapped on the only strings I had. I tell ya, I had never put nickel strings on any of my acoustics... I really liked the sounds that I was getting. As mentioned, they seem to have a much brighter sound. I didnt notice any loss in bass. These strings seem to bring the cones to life. My johnson has always had this little hum in the cones when you really start bangin on it. Before I could only barely hear it, but now it comes through more clearly. Sounds like I'm playin through a blown speaker (the best way I can describe it). It may sound strange, but I actually like the way it sounds. Almost sounds like i've got some kind of scoustic distortion goin on. Also, the strings I put on it are a set of regular guage strings, allowin me do do a lot more finger-work... which I like. I'm sure I'll move back up to a heavier guage, but I like the brighter sounds I'm gettin with the nickels on. Wanted to thank you guys for bringin this up.
savage
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue May 16, 2006 8:48 pm

I use nickel on my reso because of the magnetic pick-up. On the flat-top I don't have a preference. Each have their (dis)advantages.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby savage » Wed May 17, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm startin to realize that I am more partial to lighter strings on my tricone. I still like to use medium/heavy strings, but I like the flexibilty of lighter strings. I don't like to limit my finger-work when I'm playin. I also have gotten used to slidin on lighter strings. Yes, you have to change yer touch a bit, but once you get it down its magic.
savage
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 17, 2006 11:19 pm

Being used to sliding on those dinky little 12s on my electric, I've been thinking about trying them on my tricone, too. If I like 'em, those monster strings I've got will work fine on my lap steel. However, I can really bang on 'em on the tricone, and that's what's really fun about 'em. Rock and roll!
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues