Video for 1armbandit

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Video for 1armbandit

Postby slickcat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Hey 1armbandit,
I was thinking about you when I saw this video...check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_jMD9Vo5o
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Video for 1armbandit

Postby 1armbandit » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:45 am

That was cool.
What I wouldn't give for an elbow :D

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I hope that no one got the opinion that I don't respect what this guy has accomplished. I might have been too off the cuff.
I've seen several videos of guys with more or less than I have doing some great things and I'm impressed by them all. I don't know whether to be inspired by them or depressed that I'm not progressing any faster than I have been.
These people are obviuosly overcomers and that is the type of person that I strive to be. If you were around me for awhile I would hope that you wouldn't even think about me being handicapped. That's the way I live my life.
I was afraid my response might put someone off. Not my intension at all. And Slick thanks for the link.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Sorry Jack,
I wasnt sure how high your arm was amputated.
Have you found any solution for tackeling guitar?
All I could think of would be touch guitar similar to what Stanley Jordan does but with one hand and some type of stand to hold the guitar.
With the right action setup and amp you could do a lot with hammer-ons and pull-offs. :wink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Slick

My arm is amputed just above the elbow. Having that elbow makes a huge difference in what you can do with or without a prosthetic arm. But if I had an elbow I'd just want a "little" more forearm and then maybe a wrist. Whats a wrist without a couple of fingers. There's just no pleasing me is there. :lol:

Slick I need to get some pics up of the contraption that attaches to my arm. It is made from 3/32" brake tubing held on with one of those straps that people wear for tennis elbow. I started out with it stick out and angled to mirror my left arm. That length was just too unwieldy and responded too slowly. What I have now is just past the end of my arm. Around where the ball is in your elbow joint. It is much more natural feeling and I'm getting to where I can even hit individual notes occasionally.

I have a dozen or so open chords that I can play with a basic strum pattern, not having to look at my fretting hand much.

Here's a question for you and anyone else that might drop by. I can't figure out barre chords. If you lay the guitar on your lap, left hand fretting how would you play one. Spanish style the index finger is closet to the nut and you would basically have a moveable nut. But my way the index finger is furthest from the nut.

Any ideas? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:50 am

not tryin ta be rude, but have you considered the keyboards??? they are in demand and you could do a great job with one hand and a bassman......?????
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:43 pm

What about a Jeff Healey video? He played sort of like that.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 pm

six
You know chicks love the guitar player! :lol:
I can play some guitar now. The basic chords. Maybe 12-18 songs that we play at church, not well but passable. However some of my favorites have barre chords and I haven't found a way yet to play them. The lead guitaist uses a cut capo and plays around it. The capo is made to go on from the top though and is in the way for me. I could get a straight capo and cut it down to work the other way but I would prefer to learn a way that doesn't require another peice of gear to lug around, besides cutting up $20 is hard for me to swallow.

Maxx
I've checked out some videos on Youtube of Jeff but they tend to cut away from his fretting hand alot.

I'll keep working at it. I don't plan to go pro for another month or two. 8)

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:19 pm

yeah I know!!! :shock: I had a friend that lost his arm in a factory accident at Hobart, back in the early 70's right above the elbow!! years later he said he never had so many chicks, he said they loved what he did with his arm!! :D
one night a friend and I was at a party, and a couple guys was pickin on a one armed guy, and a fight broke out, we were gonna help the one armed guy against 3 others, but he didnt need any help!!he kick all 3 azz,s!!! so don't sell yer self short!! love 601
601blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues