Cheap Mics

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Cheap Mics

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Just got something I ordered off an MF Stupid Deal of the Day last week. Saw it just before midnight, or I'd've posted it. You've just got to watch the SDOTD. They had a complete pack with a dynamic mic, clip, 20' cable, and boom stand for $25. Got two. Mics look like SM58s, but they're cheap Chinese clones and I have no idea how they perform. Good looking, though. Come in a nice zipup pleather case. Stands look nice, seem reasonably sturdy and hold their positions. They have foldout tripod bases. It'll be a while before I get around to trying them out.
ricochet
Regular

Re: Cheap Mics

Postby MakaInOz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:11 am

Rico,

What brand are they? I picked up a pair of Bock BK 5.8 Chinese SM58 lookalikes. They are quite well made and I am pleased with their performance, particularly given that I paid 1/5th of the RRP of ONE SM58 for the PAIR of Bocks.

Shure mics are stupid prices in Australia - the local music shop has the current Shure Harp mic (520DX) at AUD$350. I paid US$81 (AUD$87) for the same mic through Music123. Some of the better quality Chinese look alikes are much better value for money.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:29 am

Mic brand is Audio Spectrum, model AS-400.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:35 pm

I picked up one of these kits about 6 months ago. I wanted the stand and mic clip so the mic, cord and pouch were gravy.
The pouch is in my harp case with tools and misc. The stand and mic clip are holding up well. The mic is in a box somewhere. I think it worked..OK, but I had a cheap Nady mic that I liked better for voice so I'm using that.
The stand and clip purchased individually were more expensive than the whole combo.
I love cheap.
Have I mentioned that before.

BTW I picked up the Nady instrument wireless that was yesterdays SDOTD. $30. Not that I really need one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=277103

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Here's one studio's description from a list of their on-hand gear that I just found:
"Audio Spectrum AS400 (Really cheap, lo fi mic for that classic radioshack sound)"
:mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 pm

One Arm, are you still plugging away at the guitar? Let us know how you're doing. Whatever standard you're up to, it's one in the eye for the NoCanDo tribe :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey Max

I'm still plugging away. It seems like it took a year to get somewhere. Actually it did take a year. I finally got my pick adapter at a length and angle that really works well. I was way too long, now it comes down right over the end of my residual limb (sorry I never have liked the term stump :lol: ).
I starting getting a good strum, still lap style, theres no way to strum Spanish style. After that I started working seriously on the open chords. I can move reasonably well through most of them.

I play harp and sing with the praise band at church so I started playing through the 3 and 4 chord songs in our book. After awhile you could even tell what I was playing. I may have to start playing some of those songs for service as our guitarist is planning to leave. Probably will be leading some of the singing also.
I'm not panicking much at all over that.

I wish some of you guys were around here, I'm sure that my progress would improve with some instruction. There aren't any teachers within 40 miles of me and I'm not sure if they would or could help me much.

Thanks for asking.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:22 pm

I got a Behringer copy of a shure SM58
Sounds really good.

Listen to a short clip I recorded with this mic and my resonator.
Old Friend
http://www.speedyshare.com/400606939.html
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:42 am

Shure sounds good!
:mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am

Some cheap mics sound ok at low volume. The real test is when you get up to stage volumes, like with a band. Sometimes they start to howl at a lower volume than better mics. However, I'm certain there are some lower priced chinese mics that match the 58's.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Weird. I just put these up on ebay and just checked out this thread. I was using these for recording but don't have a mixer or a port so I figured I'd just dump them. The AS400 is as expected. Not bad for what you pay. I really liked the DRGX1. I got it from a local studio and it worked pretty well for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120276882590&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues