How to set up a 2-guitar headphone output...?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

How to set up a 2-guitar headphone output...?

Postby homerd » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi Gang,

Here's the situation.....I want to be able to jam w/ my son and not run the wife out of the house at the same time.

How do you get output from two guitars/amps (and even add an MP3 player for a backing track) to a merged output line(s) for headphones...?

We are currently working with a cheap-o kit amp and a Behringer 256 EFX. The EFX has a CD input which is handy to run backing tracks through. I've tried running the headphone output from the small amp to this input but that isn't working (?)

I thought maybe a mixer like this http://www.behringer.com/MON800/?lang=ENG may work, but if running a headphone line to the EFX amp won't work, maybe that won't either...

Is there anything like a "summing headphone amp" out there...?

Thanks in advance.....
homerd
Regular

Re: How to set up a 2-guitar headphone output...?

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:12 am

I'm not quite sure of your layout, but if both amps have a headphones output, you can get a 2 into 1 plug for next to nothing at Jaycar or Tandy or a similar electronics outlet and just connect the dots. You might need a gender bender plug somewhere in the mix. Adaptor plugs usually only cost a couple of bucks.

I use a similar set up to run two vocal mics through one amp - works OK but you get the same amount of each in the mix.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:53 am

Behringer makes a 4 output headphone distribution amp/kinda thing for recording that is just what you're looking for. There are two models. A 4 output and an 8 output. I would think that the 4 would work well for your application. I think they run about $125 ....... I think they have two (A/B) inputs. Hook that up to a small board and you're in.

:D 8) :roll:
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby homerd » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for the replies..... I found out now why the setup didn't work, the male/male patch cord from amp #1 to #2 is mono. It was working with the MP3 player as input but not when used with amp #1. So now running a "Y" out of amp #1 and a stereo cable I can get the amp and the MP3 both running into amp #2. If I want two headphones I can run another splitter out.

As for the Behringer, I believe I know what you are talking about, the 502 or the MON800 are ones I was looking at. I still may use those if I want a better mix.....

Thanks
homerd
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues