Silly toy?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Silly toy?

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 pm

...thanks for the testimonial Dan...I won't make Swanage either, as I have weddings to fiddle at in inverurie that weekend...(we should be glad they're still getting married in Inverurie..!)

...that's a nice relaxed set up you have there with Moss and Clive...I think Wayne will fit in grand..Dunno about the Beefheart vocals...used a slapback delay on the harp mic though... :)

..you should think about getting a form in to the dundee blues bonanza...biggest free blues event in Europe..!

http://www.dundeebluesbonanza.com
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

Fishfeathersmacteeth wrote:...thanks for the testimonial Dan...I won't make Swanage either, as I have weddings to fiddle at in inverurie that weekend...(we should be glad they're still getting married in Inverurie..!)

...that's a nice relaxed set up you have there with Moss and Clive...I think Wayne will fit in grand..Dunno about the Beefheart vocals...used a slapback delay on the harp mic though... :)

..you should think about getting a form in to the dundee blues bonanza...biggest free blues event in Europe..!

http://www.dundeebluesbonanza.com

Vairry interreshtinck! Are there interpreters available? :mrgreen: Got to find a cramp site or cheap digs though, and getting the Strat & My Beloved on a plane looks expensive, so it's roads all the way. Perhaps I can factor it in with a holiday with She Who Wishes To Be Obeyed, provided it doesn't clash with racing.

Back to the sound: what's the mic, is it low or hgh impedance? All I can remember is that it was shiny.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 pm

...Hi Dan,

...beware...Dundee is the only place in the world where they think Jazz is a film about a shark...!!

..the mic I used at Kingsgate House was an Electrovice EV605..High impedance job with the original dynamic element...

..yeah, nice and shiny...!! 8)
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 am

You know how a small speaker will make a substandard mic? Went to Poundland, got a stereo pair. I have some small alcohol related wooden boxes in the house; swearing and muttering will take place soon and at the end of it will be born 2 smaller and lighter devices than the Maxxboxx. But not as Heath Robinson classy.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:09 pm

2 boxes now made from old wooden drink samples boxes capped with an off cut of hardboard. The jack is in the top left corner, pointing upwards next to the volume control. They have more of a clapping sound than anything else. One is the about size of a housebrick, the other is a third of the thickness but the same l/w.

The MaxxBoxx had annoying click, I found out one of the bolts was hiiting the pickup, so that's adjusted out now and the box just gives a big fat satisfying "crash".

Next on the list is a box made from 4" x 2" electrical clip together plastic trunking. Wonder what that sounds like?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michelle » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 am

There is a guy in Byron Bay making a stomp box called a BIGFOOT , hes got a myspace site and is selling them at around the $200 mark. Could be a career in it for you maxx, well atleast a day job. On one of the other threads ( think it was in Accoustic Blues ) someone was talking about tapping a tamborine with their foot, Good high hat sound i thought.
michelle
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:34 am

$200!?

His name's not Robin Gitt is it?

The "Vietnam" plastic model is in development, very smart and quite good tone but alarming feedback on it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michelle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 am

He gets away with the $200by " hand crafting" his stomp box's out of recycled rain forest timbers and carving a cute little paw mark in the top of them. They do that kinda stuff in Byron Bay. A pot of beer in my local pub is $3.20. In a pub in Byron Bay you would pay double that because it is usually handed over a counter that has been handcrafted from recycled rainforest timbers.
michelle
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Ah yes, the famous Bill Shutt. At least that's what it sounded like.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 am

I have a bunch of offcuts in white plastic, so I'm going to run up a few boxes and see if I can flog them around open mics and down in Swanage. I can cure the feedback easily enough, and they look really smart. Think I'll have to get my confuser booted up and take some pictures of the collection to post.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm

..I'd be up for one of them Dan...! :D
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:35 am

Maxx you've inspired me.

I'm working on a song with the younger two kids (harp/guitar/bass), and the youngest is very new to the bass, so we're lacking a bit of rhythm firepower. I thought a stomp box might help. The only pickup I've got laying around is a 'Pure Western' passive system for steel string guitar, with three pickup heads and an endpin jack. It is a transducer system only and doesn't include a battery or on-board electronics. How do you think that would go inside a stomp box?

Can't afford one of those $200 certified organic Byron Bay jobbers!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:12 am

I just wired up a single humbucker (single coil should be OK too), earthed it and the jangly metalwork, straight out to an old lead I had. All you have to do is make sure the metal is a, close enough to the pickup to make a noise, b, not so close it goes click instead of clomp. The later versions use a jack and have a volume control.

Jackplug out or fixed cable is up to you. A closed box is best to avoid feedback if you use some sort of mic, although you can get away with a small clearance on a lid fixed at it's corners for more movement and tone. The only physical requirements are that it's big enough and strong enough to stand up to being repeatedly and enthusiastically belted so almost anything at all will do as the box. I'm seriously thinking about using an old 10l plastic water container for the bass response.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm

The Little Shop Of Horrors:

maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues