Silly toy?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Silly toy?

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 am

I soldered a lead to an Epiphone humbucker pickup. I just rested it on the cheapo kiddie's electronic drum machine I have. It picks up not the sound of the crappy speaker, but the coil itself. It's not a great piece of technology, but it's a way to improve the performance of the thing, and you don't have the inconvenience of fitting a plug socket. Handy for using as a stomp box (except you don't stomp hard as it'll break the plastic).

I might try it on a plasic or ally plate as a clip on/stick on pickup on a guitar one day.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Silly toy?

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:06 pm

A single coil will work better for that purpose, as a humbucker's specifically designed not to respond to an external magnetic field. As you're proving, they're usually not perfectly balanced, and the magnetic field near a voice coil is far from uniform so it works. But a single coil pickup doesn't have the field cancellation of the reverse wound coils in the humbucker.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 am

Small fly in the ointment. I don't have a spare single coil. One day perhaps.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

You gotta use what you got. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby michelle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:05 am

I tried an oyster pickup on a few bits of wood for a stomp box once. It depended on what shoes i was wearing as to how it sounded. Another good toy you need two hands for is two plastic bags rubbed together, sounds just like brushes on a snare. Maybe if you taped one to your foot and the other on the floor you could play guitar aswell. hmmmm. Just came up with that then, going to go try it out.
michelle
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I'd guessed correctly what you meant by an "oyster pickup," but had never seen that term. There are all sorts of cheap microphone and even piezoelectric buzzer elements that can be used that way, too. I picked up a bunch of cheap ceramic mics from "The Electronics Goldmine" to experiment with for my melodica, maybe homemade harp mics, stompboxes, CBG and diddley bow pickups...
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 am

michelle wrote: Another good toy you need two hands for is two plastic bags rubbed together,

I have seen your rather attractive picture, seen your post about rubbing plastic bags together :wha: and had to take a walk. That's walk with an l.

Stomp box - somebody threw out an old Tupperware flat box, same length as my foot but wider. As an experiment, I taped the pickup to the underside of the lid and placed a 2" dia tin lid on the top. Vairy interestink! Stamp on the box lid, there's a wooly sort of whump to it, stamp on the tin lid and it's more of a "crump". Much more robust than the drum machine and lighter, smaller. Further experimentation follows.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michelle » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:40 am

Why Maxx, i do believe i'm blushing. Who would have known plastic bags could be so exciting. Photos can be decieving, (note the very soft focus). I am about to raid my tupperware collection...hmmm wonder what tupperware sounds like when its rubbed together. Havent learnt how to post links, just started a new my space site " michelle mabelle". Only got one song up so far. Not really happy with the mix. Whoops should posting this in recording not silly toys, but then again
michelle
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:13 pm

The pickup sits in one corner, in line with the long axis of the box, self tapping screws come up through the underside of the box to hold the pickup down and it has a small sponge wedged in underneath it to limit movement. The lid now has 3 x 6mm short roofing bolts, penny washers and nuts in a line above the pickup. Once the pickup was at the right height the sound was a deep soft whoump, I'll try a piece of thin ply I have on the top face of the lid next and see if that sharpens it up. But first:

Tonight I take Mk.1 to a Marie Curie charity open mic, see what it does to the p.a..

Useful addition: there is still space when the lead is packed away to put my sandwiches in. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:31 am

The ply is in place, there are longer bolts now going through the lid and they have captive washers free to shake/rattle (not roll though). The sound is lighter, more of a crash than a whump. Next step is either to make a second box that gives a hihat "tschh" sound or add something to this one. Second box would be better, so you can separate the rhythms. The future awaits.....
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 pm

..chance of a picture Maxx...?

...hey, I'm going to be in Coleshill near Birmingham 25th/26th July...any tunes in that area...?
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 am

4 miles up the road, where you staying, want to jam or find a gig + consume liquids?

I'll see about putting pictures in Photobucket. Still trying to figure out how to get the "tsch" sound added to the crack/crash noise. Strips of Meccano or nails in a cloth bag hung next to the pickup perhaps?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michelle » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:34 am

how about two tin can lids suspended above the pickup from a screw on the top.
michelle
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 pm

I think I'll rip the little cymbal things out of a kiddie's tambourine or something like that.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Bottle caps.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues