Fender '59 Bassman (reissue)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Fender '59 Bassman (reissue)

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:16 pm

mike932 wrote:The only bad thing about the Bassman , and it is trivial, is the weight.

That's why, when I had mine modded for harp, I also had wheels put on it.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:02 pm

Ain't it funny though...when us older guys ( I'm 57 ) were 22 years old, we felt cool haulin' our huge amps and PA cabs into places... the bigger the gear, the better. We never thought about the weight at all. When we shopped, we often looked for the biggest stuff we could find. Now we want the littlest gear with the most headroom for the size,lol! I actually threw a Farfisa Mini Compact Duo electric organ in the dumpster about 7-8 years ago, 'cuz it weighed about 85 pounds and I jus' couldn't see haulin' a one trick pony that size to gigs. The keyboard I play now prob'lly weighs 11 pounds.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 am

I'll be 38 in a month and I've had some re-occuring back problems for about 7 years. Light equipment (and heavy stuff with wheels) rules. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:49 am

My amp search settled to 3 finalists. Fender Bassman, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall Bluesbreaker. I disqualified the marshall as it was out of my price range. I actually preferred the bassman tone, but found the super to fit more needs with reverb and tremolo. I got a super sweet deal on a vintage 1967 Super Reverb in near mint condition as opposed to a reissue of a classic. I really did the bassman though hard to beat the simplicity
stratman_27
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:51 am

I have a Clark Beaufort which is a Deluxe Tweed clone...more or less a Mini-Bassman...but for a bit more jing. Sounds like Angelina Jolie in a thong...Shwing!!
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 pm

texas blues wrote:Sounds like Angelina Jolie in a thong...Shwing!!
Cheers, TB.

This discussion is useless without pictures. :lol:
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm

stratman_27 wrote:My amp search settled to 3 finalists. Fender Bassman, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall Bluesbreaker. I disqualified the marshall as it was out of my price range. I actually preferred the bassman tone, but found the super to fit more needs with reverb and tremolo. I got a super sweet deal on a vintage 1967 Super Reverb in near mint condition as opposed to a reissue of a classic. I really did the bassman though hard to beat the simplicity
Stratman, other than the fact that I'm 57 years old, I'm not a vintage amp expert, but my guess is that you can't do much better than that Super Reverb. I think I'd even have to try one with my harp mic if I ran across a good deal on one. I passed on a sweet deal on a '63 Ampeg Reverb Rocket for $450 a coupla years ago, and that's my last memorable regret on that topic.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

jeffl
"Ain't it funny though...when us older guys ( I'm 57 ) were 22 years old, we felt cool haulin' our huge amps and PA cabs into places... the bigger the gear, the better. We never thought about the weight at all."

I used to go to gigs with at least one Twin Reverb, more often 2 of them... now - at 49 - I "haul" a Dan Torres Tweed Deluxe - 18W, weighs next to nothing, I actually manage to take the amp, 2 guitars and a bag with my pedal board an cables all in one go from the car into the venue, if I can park close enough... o, I cheat (a bit), the guitars and pedal board are in bags I can carry on my shoulder, no cases - but still...
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 am

guitarslim101 wrote:Jeff Tweedy from Wilco has called it [...] a "Girlfriend eliminator", which is why I tried it out.

Paul Simon obviously overlooked a few when he penned "There must be 50 ways to leave your lover".

"Crank that Marshall, Herschel"
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby texas blues » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 am

Jimi had no shortage of girlfriends with his Plexis and Supers though. Course, he never had to lug them himself I am reckoning.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Sat May 03, 2008 1:11 pm

I've had a Bassman Reissue since 1990. If you keep the stock tube compliment and jumper the channels, you get some nice breakup with the volume on 4. Like most players looking for more clean, I replaced the rectifier with a 5AR4 tube and a 12AY7 in V1. Good clean sound and I dirt it up with a TS.
Last edited by MOJOE on Sun May 04, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOJOE
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 03, 2008 2:30 pm

I think that is the original 1959 tube arrangement.

Lots easier to get new 5U4s and 12AX7s now, but they aren't the same.

More sag with a 5U4, and way more preamp gain with a 12AX7.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri May 16, 2008 1:37 am

I have a Bassman tweed reissue and I love it..... I put 2 10 inch EV speakers in it on the bottom to round out the sound a bit. I use it as my 'clean' amp in a 2 amp rig with either a tweed Peavey Classic 4x10 (I have the 15 inch tweed extension cab also..... but that looks like too much tweed sometimes..... Naaaa.... can't have too much tweed now that I think about it.....) or a Fender Pro Reverb II (internal 12 inch or a cute little Marshall 4x10 cab) for the dirty side (effects TS9, Fuzzface, Dano Fabtone, Octave). I run into a wah pedal 1st. Then into a splitter. You just can't get some of those really cool tones without having a two amp rig. I can't say anything bad about a tweed Bassman 4x10 thats for sure.

:D 8) :roll:
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 am

Tweed rules. A person cannot have enough tweed, or amplifiers, or guitars, or pedals, or mics, or porkpie hats. That is my philosophy and I am sticking with it. :mrgreen:
mike932
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:18 am

i don't know what a reissue bassman is retailing for these days but check out steve clark's stuff at sligo amps dot com. he does hand built fender amps. great sound clips of his work there and he's easy to talk with on the phone. he does 2 or 3 levels of bassman amp depending on what you want and can afford. i'm willing to be his prices are fairly competitive with fender, and you get hand built and point to point wiring, very good components, plus way above average customer service from all i've read at harmony central. worth a look!
jbone1
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues