Fender '59 Bassman (reissue)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Fender '59 Bassman (reissue)

Postby BlueFinn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi all!

As you might have noticed I'm new in the forum and this is my first topic I've posted. As I'm not a pro or have played 35 years or so I have a question.

I'm sick of my tiny VOX 15W Valvetronix and I'm looking forward of gettin' a bassman reissue and I was wondering: is it worth the money? I've heard two kinds of comments about it some tellin' me to go for it and other tellin' me not to go for it. Which ones should I believe?

Any advice?

P.S. One more thing: how loud you'll have to crank the volume on bassman to get at least a bit of overdrive?
BlueFinn
Regular

Re: Fender '59 Bassman (reissue)

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:49 pm

It's a big, loud amp. If you're going to be gigging in medium sized clubs or small auditoriums, go for it. You'll have to have it cranked pretty much wide open to get output stage distortion. It works well with overdrive pedals on the front end, of course.
ricochet
Regular

Postby BlueFinn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:52 pm

thanks a lot!

i've heard stories that you can get it overdriveing by setting the volume somewhere past 7 o'clok is this true?
BlueFinn
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:57 pm

You'll start getting some as you approach full volume, of course. Depends on how hard you're pushing it on the input, the tubes you're using and how the bias is set, and what you want to hear. It's not the amp you want if you expect really heavy overdrive distortion. I think amps are risky to recommend to others, and risky to buy without playing yourself. Everyone has different ideas of what they like.
ricochet
Regular

Postby BlueFinn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:59 pm

ricochet wrote:Everyone has different ideas of what they like.

agreed
BlueFinn
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:57 pm

BlueFinn, the Bassman is a good solid amp and a good value for the buck. Alot of cats like them as is and quite a few change out the tubes right away to some NOS or JJ's etc. I almost bought one myself but took the money and put it down on a National Delphi. Within the next two years I will probably succumb and get one. The drawback is that it is a loud 45 watts. To get the tone I think you want you will indeed have to crank the 'thang and play with jumpering the channels. The amp takes pedals very well as Rico mentioned and lowering the volume in conjunction with a good dirt pedal should get you close. The overall look of the amp itself has a cool factor of 12 on a 1 to 10 if you ask me. Just look at all the copycats out there. Plug in as many as you can before buying. Good luck.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby BlueFinn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:23 pm

thanks Texas!

I think you just convinced me to buy one :D

do you recommend any specific OD pedals or should I just go for the tube screamers OCD and so on?
BlueFinn
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 pm

BlueFinn, nailing down the right dirt box is a rather tough one. A tubescreamer should do just fine. Seems there are armies of guitar players who use them, which is why I do not. In my rock days I was a stone ProCo Rat user. I found it too much hair for bluesier honking. With my little champ clone I just crank it up. The last two years I played a good while through a Boss Blues Driver unmodded but have since abandoned that and have gone on to two pedals. The first being an MXR Microamp, which is a straight, no dirt, boost pedal and the second being a Bixonic Expandora. It does dirt with just a little hair ala a womans "little hitler" to the full santa claus, complete with sucking in signals from mars. I am looking at picking up a Big Muff soon just for some added variety. Grady Music..whom you will see posting sooner or later digs on a Sparkle Drive. Rico is all about the Tubulator, as are many on this forum..I am sure others reading this thread will chime in and give you further ideas.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:43 pm

For such a cheap little plastic box, the Arion Tubulator sounds terrific!
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:35 am

The only bad thing about the Bassman , and it is trivial, is the weight. I almost bought one, but I found a vintage Bassman 10. The 10 was cheaper, but the bassman has a better sound.
mike932
Regular

Postby straightblues » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:39 am

You won't be able to get overdrive out of it unless it is a larger club. No way will you get overdrive out of it at your house. So, you will need to find the right pedal to go with it. If you are getting a tweed bassman, I suspect you are looking for tweed tones. The two best pedals for tweed tone are the Clark Gainster and the Greer Ghetto Stomp. I use them with my Fender Twin.

The bassman is very loud 45 watts. If you don't have a regular gig and only play at home, I would recommend something with lower wattage like the Fender Pro Jr.
straightblues
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:47 am

Dude,

The FullTone Fat Boost Pedal is what you're gonna need with that amp.
A Barber LTD Low OverDrive Pedal would be a nice addition.

With those two pedals and that amp, Jesus tap-dancin' Christ.
You could rule the World. (or a damn good chunk of it)
grady
Regular

Postby BlueFinn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:09 am

grady wrote:Dude,

The FullTone Fat Boost Pedal is what you're gonna need with that amp.
A Barber LTD Low OverDrive Pedal would be a nice addition.

With those two pedals and that amp, Jesus tap-dancin' Christ.
You could rule the World. (or a damn good chunk of it)

:D thanks! I almost bought FatBoost but i found it kinda week an lifeless. Maybe it was a bad piece or maybe I was goin' throug those Hendrix periods again.
I've heard that Fulltone OCD is king of OD boxes and I was goin' to check one out but I couldn'y find the time. Is the OCD worth the money?
BlueFinn
Regular

Postby Little Tina » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 am

Blue Finn, from Finland? Helsinki calling :lol:

Can't comment the bassman thing, wouldn't wanna carry it though...
Little Tina
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:00 pm

I have a JTM-45 clone, which is essentially the same circuit as the tweed Bassman, and I use a Prescription Electronics RX Overdriver. It's a clone of the old Colorsound Overdriver, and it works very well with the amp just starting to breathe (10 o'clock, or so on the volume knob). Jeff Tweedy from Wilco has called it "Neil Young in a box" and a "Girlfriend eliminator", which is why I tried it out. It has quite a range of dirt tones, and it can work as a great clean boost. It's a pricey box new, but they pop up used for around $100 every now and then.
guitarslim101
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues