New Delphi in the Blues Kitchen

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Delphi in the Blues Kitchen

Postby texas blues » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 am

Hey ya'll from the big dry ditch in Las Vegas. I purchased a new National Delphi from my good friends Dan Gessner and Sarah Lopez of Crossroads music back in Port Townsend,WA. The Delphi arrived from National earlier than the August quoted date. Cheers to moi. Dan and Sarah are nothing but Class A and second to none in service. Check 'em out at http://www.crossroadsmusic.com Their luthier and guitar tech George, is the shiznet as well. I can't say enough about them.
The Delphi in taupe plays like a dream and sounds like sex in a metal cage! I have never played a National that was not set up ready to gig. While pricey, the guitar is a pro's guitar and worth every penny. The beauty is that I didn't have to hide the thing under the spare bedroom bed to gather dust....then later proclaim..."honey I have been looking for this guitar forever...don't stash my things under the bed please.." (it worked once) As I have bought two V's and a Delphi and a couple of amps this last year, I'll be pulling in the reigns for a spell. Heres a couple pics of the new Delphi...Note Lefty's Champ 600 in the right corner. Thanks Lefty.
Cheers ya'll, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Re: New Delphi in the Blues Kitchen

Postby deltablues57 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:03 am

The guy I play with has that exact guitar. This guitar has the look, the feel, the sound, the vibe. It sounds and plays like a dream. Enjoy it.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:25 pm

I had one exactly like that one.
Enjoy it !!
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:18 am

texas blues wrote:The Delphi in taupe plays like a dream and sounds like sex in a metal cage!

Like sex in a metal cage. You never cease to amaze me with your very vivid descriptions.

texas blues wrote:Note Lefty's Champ 600 in the right corner. Thanks Lefty.

No, thank you for taking it off my hands. I'm glad you're getting some use out of it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:40 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Like sex in a metal cage. You never cease to amaze me with your very vivid descriptions.

He's just comparing it to what he knows from experience.
ricochet
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:56 am

Haven't had sex in a metal cage ...but then..women just want romance...men just need a place. Cage will do!
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:41 pm

I just bought that exact same guitar.
Mine is a 1999 model that apparently sat in a closet at National.
A new National Guitars endorsee bought it and had a Hot Rod cone/new biscuit installed at National.
Unfortunately (for him), he had to raise $$$ to get his new CD printed.
Worked out well for me; I got a great guitar, almost unused at a ridiculously-good price.
Next up - a National Hotplate pickup..

National guitars - ain't they cool???

Peace,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 am

Troubleman, congrats on a great deal. I think that the Delphi is one of the best investments in guitars I have ever made. I've played em all and it is rock solid and has absolute sweet tone and a fantastic player.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:14 am

Did you get that from the guy in PT?

I'm bummed I never got to go to that guitar store in PT that you told me about TB.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 pm

texas blues wrote:Troubleman, congrats on a great deal. I think that the Delphi is one of the best investments in guitars I have ever made. I've played em all and it is rock solid and has absolute sweet tone and a fantastic player.

Cheers, TB.

Thanks, and I completely agree. I can't stop playing the thing. I sat on my bed when I got home from work yesterday, and just played.... for hours. Didn't watch the VeePee debates, baseball playoffs - nuthin'. Just sliding on the Delphi, trying to decide whether I like brass, bronze, or ceramic slides better (ceramic so far). I thought I'd put it down, then I changed from open D to open G tuning..... It started all over again.

I'm getting a National Hotplate pickup for it. I have a Lace Ultrathin I was gonna install, but then there'd be the issue of where to install the input jack (don't wanna cut holes in my delphi), and I'd be forced to use a volume pedal onstage to control volume and feedback. Hotplate - jack is there, volume knob is there, AND tone control is there. I was kinda hopin' to bribe the guys at National to make a taupe coverplate for my Hotplate so that it would match. Alas, they won't...
As well - the brushed silver doesn't look too bad...

Ya know - I've a Republic 14-fret Style0. It is a really cool guitar. Dang good for the price. I bought a Goldtone/Beard Sig Model and the Republic, looking for that sound I was hearing inside my head. They were in the ballpark sorta, but not there. I started considering bone nuts, a National Hot Rod cone, etc.. Then I had a conversation with a friend who owns a National. He told me (and begrudgingly i must admit - he was right) - you're not gonna be happy until you pony-up and buy a National. A buddy of mine owns a neato car - a turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse. He's tweaked it out with a better suspension, suped and rechipped the engine, change gear boxes, and added tricked-out paint. It looks good, it handles really well, and it's greased-lightning fast. His comment on his wundercar - it's not a Ferrari, which is what he really wants. Having driven one, I'd have to agree. The Eclipse goes fast, but there's nothing it does better than a Ferrari (except cost) - nothing. Additionally, in driving a Ferrari (my former boss owns a ferrari 328; id did get to drive it), it does things that only those with really great driving skills can appreciate and take advantage of. It is supremely balanced - if you've the driving skills you can use drop-throttle over-steer to kick the rear wheels out on a curve and essentially use the rear wheels to "steer" the car. If you don't have those type of driving chops, all of that engineering wonder and balance is lost on you, but you still have a beautiful, stupid-fast car. So to true with National guitars. They are a clear league-up on other resos. Those with Brozman-type chops can really take advantage off the instument's design. There are very prominent overtones and ghost-like reverb notes from my Delphi that just don't happen with the Goldtone/Beard or Republic (not to mention sheer tone). The dynamic range of the Delphi is twice that of Goldtone/Beard or Republic. I can make the National whisper in an almost wooden-bodied sweet tone, or dig in and make the cone "hollar", and at VOLUME. I'm constantly amazed at some of the tones I'm getting out of it.

I can't wait until I've John Campbell-like chops on this thing.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3hkRAw0n4&feature=related[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_3hkRAw0n4&feature=related

I'm getting better, but I wanna rule on slide reso

Peace,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Congrats on your newfound-reso happiness!!

The dynamic range of the Delphi is twice that of Goldtone/Beard or Republic.

Are you comparing a wood-bodied Beard or the slim-line steel-bodied electrified Beard?
bignick
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:04 pm

bignick wrote:Congrats on your newfound-reso happiness!!

The dynamic range of the Delphi is twice that of Goldtone/Beard or Republic.

Are you comparing a wood-bodied Beard or the slim-line steel-bodied electrified Beard?

Brass-bodied, slope-shoulder, 12 fretter Beard. Pretty much the Goldtone/Beard equivalent of a Delphi, except it has a brass body and weighs a metic ton.. Decent guitars. Of the three (Beard/Goldtone, Republic, and Nat Delphi), the Beard/Goldtone's body contributes the least to the instrument's tone. Don't get me wrong - it's still a pretty dang cool reso and gig-worthy, but to my ears its body is prety much an amplifier of the cone (and Beard's cones are pretty dang good). I think if you swapped the cone you'd change the tonality of the guitar entirely. The body of my Republic adds a lot to the signature tone of the instrument. National Delphi - heck, I can control the amount of body-tone vs cone just by varying where and how I pick....

Peace,

jb

ps: FYI - that Goldtone/Beard is gonna be up for sale at a reasonable price pretty soon....
Troubleman
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Yeah, I have found the steel-bodied Beard's to be pretty gimmicky. They aren't known for that. It's hard to top a Beard Spider-bridge reso for dynamics IMO.
bignick
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:10 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Did you get that from the guy in PT?

I'm bummed I never got to go to that guitar store in PT that you told me about TB.

Yeah Lefty....Crossroads Music. Dan and Sarah over there are the best folks I have ever dealt with. After I got down here in the big dry ditch, I called Dan up and had him order the Delphi. I had him ask National to ship to him, let him go over it, make sure it was good to go and set up and then shipped to me. I asked him to charge me for the trouble and he very graciously said no.
I recommend them to everyone. Google Crossroads Music and go to their site and check out the miracles that George Reziendez does to broken Martins. The best!

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:43 pm

bignick wrote:Yeah, I have found the steel-bodied Beard's to be pretty gimmicky. They aren't known for that. It's hard to top a Beard Spider-bridge reso for dynamics IMO.

Honestly, it's a decent guitar. If Paul Beard puts his name on it a a signature model, its not gonna be a slouch. Such is true with this instrument. It is loud, it looks great, it sounds like a reso. Those Beard cones are pretty dang good - between a Continental cone and a National Hot Rod cone, and leaning more towards the National camp. The sound of the guitar is different than my Republic and different than my Delphi - neither good nor bad, just different. I put one of those slide guitar extension nuts (stewartmacdonald) to raise the action WAY UP - perfect for lap steel. If I wasn't jonesin' (REALLY, REALLY HARD) for a National Hot-plate for my Delphi, I'd probably keep it. It's biggest detractor (only *real* detractor in my book) - its weight. It's significantly heavier than either my Republic or my Delphi.

Peace,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues