Efects Pedals, etc

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Efects Pedals, etc

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:09 pm

boogiechillun85 wrote:No no... I agree with you on that. But what annoys me is when you get a guy who can barely play or write a good riff, but he'll dress it up with 18 different effects and his big ol' Zoom pedal and phase it and flange it and reverb it and delay it and turn it into something it's not. I just can't behind that.

But I'm not against effects pedals. How could I be such a staunch supporter of the Rev. Billy Gibbons if I was?
Yer right Jim...those pedals have held alotta wankers in the game until they can get their chops up. I remember the days when you'd see novices down at the park with their battery operated modelling amps cranked on flanger,or fuzz-- throwin' out their favorite 3 note licks..God bless 'em.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Perhaps it is from my "strange universe" college days long ago, but a good wah wah riff still transports me.

The only problem is that I can list the people who know how to use a wah wah effectively on the fingers of one hand. And a goodly number of them have done gone on. (RIP, Jimi)

I also used to have a cassette tape of a guy, long ago, who did remarkably creative and tasteful things with a loop machine (long before digital delays). I forget his name even now. But he was the only person I ever heard use one of those things where it didn't sound completely contrived.

A talented guitar player told me long ago that everyone should start on an acoustic guitar and not touch an electric until they had the basics of playing guitar down. When you move to electric, master the subtle touch of fine tuning guitar and raw amp settings before touching a single effect.

Then move to one effect at a time and learn your way around it. It must have worked for him because he was a real head turner. He also never used any more than was necessary for what he had to say at the moment. Most of his tone and drive came straight out of his fingers.

Personally, following his advice has meant I'm still messing about with acoustics.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:22 am

The Rev. knew how to play first before incorporating pedals. Just listen to the live side of Fandango..not a pedal one. Pearly Gates and a Marshall ..that's it. Tone like Godzilla. Billy G's use of pedals these days is rather inovative in my opinion. When he uses one, he's got somthing to say.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:40 am

I have a Danelectro slap echo , BLT, I have used it on occasion for harp, kinda fun. I use to use an overdrive pedal, then I got into tube amps. I gave the pedal to my son for guitar. I did like it though. I have a synthesizer for my bass, great toy, lot of fun to play with, but I must confess, I do not know how to use it properly, it was an Ebay compulsive buy. After reading this post I want to try a Wah pedal, sounds like fun for the harp and bass.
mike932
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:52 am

I carry a huge Pedal Board.
I use the effects sparingly.
It's mostly loaded with various types of OD/Distortion pedals.

RAT
Marshall Guv'nor Plus
Barber LTD
Maxon OD-808

BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Holy Grail Reverb
Digitech JAM MAN
Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine

I love it.
Everything I need, no Batteries and convenient to haul & set up.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:04 am

I use a pedalboard too - currently residing on it are (in order used)

Vox Wah - VoodooLab Sparkle Drive - BOSS SD-1 - BOSS volume pedal - "no name" delay

also on it: Ibanez Tuner (from tuner out on Volume pedal) and a power supply

looking for a place: BOSS Reverb pedal - until now, it's being placed on the amp, not really a problem, since it's on all the time anyway

I use the Volume pedal AFTER the overdrive pedals, because then I can have the same "amount" of overdrive, only quieter for rhythm/louder for solo - the overdrive itself I control from my guitar volume
jaybee
Regular

Postby TheDude » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:47 am

I'm not really an FX man. I've got a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and a Boss DD5 delay and that's it. With some reverb every now and then when it's called for. Of course used wisely FX can be great, I'm thinking of some classic use here... Hendrix with a wah-wah and a fuzz? Eddie Van Halen's flanger/phaser? Mike Stern's cool chorus sounds?

Tube vs transistor... and these days it's more like tube vs transistor vs digital. Tube amps turned up into power amp distortion is THE sound of rock'n'roll. Period.

Unfortunately they're heavy, not that versatile, high maintainance and to get "that sound" you have to turn them up so high that on some occasions you won't be able to get "that sound" just because it'll be too loud.

Transistors and modeling amps weigh less, are more versatile, are way cheaper and sound better at lower volumes. Unfortunately when you turn them up they have a much stiffer response which is often seen as harshness. They're not as open and "organic" as tube amps.

But basically if you only need one or two sounds and don't mind the extra maintainance, I'd say go for a 15-20W tube amp.

If you need more versatility and onboard FX, I'd say try out a digital modeling amp. My advice here would be to go for a combo with a bigger cab (like 2x12" speakers) and as high a wattage as you can get. My theory is the higher the wattage on a tranny amp, the louder you can get it before you get that harsh response from the speaker.
TheDude
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks for all the input folks! Decisions, Decisions! I solved my quest for an electric git, sold a rifle and GC had a pretty decent price on the Gibson LP Vintage. Got that and it's sweet, well, it's sweet to me.

Now, the next step is to sell some optics and then with those proceeds, I'll upgrade my amp. So, with that in mind, other than it appearing that the overwhelming opinions are to go with a tube amp, is anyone willing to suggest any particular one?
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Doc wrote:Thanks for all the input folks! Decisions, Decisions! I solved my quest for an electric git, sold a rifle and GC had a pretty decent price on the Gibson LP Vintage. Got that and it's sweet, well, it's sweet to me.

Now, the next step is to sell some optics and then with those proceeds, I'll upgrade my amp. So, with that in mind, other than it appearing that the overwhelming opinions are to go with a tube amp, is anyone willing to suggest any particular one?
I'll suggest two: double 601's money on the two he jus' picked up at that pawn shop,lol! You'd still be gettin' a deal if he'd sell 'em. I'd take the Vox, 'cuz I haven't had one since high school,ha!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:23 am

I used the advice of the pro's from this forum , took my harp and mic to the various retailers and played through a lot of amps until I found the one which was just right. My advice is to use their advice, take your LP and head to the stores.( Must of been a nice rifle you sold.)
mike932
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 am

Doc wrote:

I like Fender Tube amps.
My personal favorites are,
'59 Bassman Re-Issue
Pro Junior
Champion 600

I've been gigging with my Champion 600 for almost a year now and it has given me no problems whatsoever. and, the best thing is, they only cost around $200.00
grady
Regular

Postby TheDude » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 am

Same here, Fender amps are nice. Especially for roots music. I've got a Champion 600 as well and it sounds great with my SG, so my guess is it'll sound good with your LP as well.

Slightly bigger amps that are big sellers for Fender are the Pro Jr and the Blues Jr.

Tried a Laney LC15 and loved that too. Even more versatility, cuz it's got more gain. Sounds somewhere between a Fender and a Brit.

If you'd like to make a bit more ruckus, then perhaps try an Epi Valve Jr.

Thing is... They all sound different. So best way is indeed to take YOUR guitar to the store and try a couple of them out.
TheDude
Regular

Postby BlueFinn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 pm

I have only a few effects at the time but due to my enourmous saving spree in order to get a new amp I really can't buy any new ones. but anyway my effects at the moment are as follows: VOX wah -- BOSS sd-1 -- EHX little big muff -- Dunlop uni-vibe.

BTW what the best OD box that you have ro have had owned? I was wondering if you could recommend some thus I'm in need of one soon when I (hopefully) replace my VOX 15 watter with a non-master volume Marshall 50 watter
BlueFinn
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues