Efects Pedals, etc

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Efects Pedals, etc

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 pm

OK, I'm going to show my complete lack of knowledge, but I need direction/advice on effects pedals, overdrive units, etc.!
Can anyone point me to a website, or other resource where I can educate myself on such thing? And, while I'm completely revealing my buttocks, I also am wanting further education on "why" a tube amp, versus a solid state!

Once you folks stop rolling in the floor and laughing, any and all feedback is most appreciated.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Efects Pedals, etc

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:21 am

ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 am

Hey Doc, there ain't no reason to be shy when asking questions.
If you don't ask, you don't learn.

and for what it's worth, tubes absolutely rule.
However, modelling will catch up someday soon.
grady
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:22 pm

That link Ric posted is a great site. I've spent many hours reading through articles there, and I've built a few of the pedals. Effects are a potentially dangerous thing to get into (see Harmony Central Effects forum to see what I mean—they'll be able to convince you that you need many pedals)...GAS applies to pedals, too, and when you start seeing all the possibilities, you can end up spending hundreds of dollars on different little noise boxes. If you have self-control, though, they can be very rewarding. They can be used to add lovely textures to songs, or just give a different tone when you want one. As far as places to research different kinds of pedals, youtube is great. There are a lot of demo videos of different pedals that will give you an idea of what each kind of effect is capable of. Tonefrenzy.com features a lot of audio demos of different pedals, too.

Definitely don't be afraid to ask. That's why we're here.

grady wrote:and for what it's worth, tubes absolutely rule.
However, modelling will catch up someday soon.

Tubes do indeed rule. However, there are some very nice solid state amps in existence, and the modelers are getting better with each new generation. But until they can make a digital modeling amp smell like an old tube amp turned all the way up, they won't win me over.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:11 pm

The real reason: You can't put on old fashioned hats, play old style guitars, play and sing old fashioned songs through transistors. Just isn't right.
:wink:
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:34 am

guitarslim101 wrote:Tubes do indeed rule. However, there are some very nice solid state amps in existence, and the modelers are getting better with each new generation. But until they can make a digital modeling amp smell like an old tube amp turned all the way up, they won't win me over.

My two favourite amps are solid state (though analog).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:55 am

Doc wrote: And, while I'm completely revealing my buttocks, I also am wanting further education on "why" a tube amp, versus a solid state!

Doc must be a real Doc, he used the term buttocks. I like tube amps, even though people tried to talk me out of buying a tube bass amp I did it anyway. The thing weighs a ton and only has about 50 watts, it sounds incredible. Those 50 watts are plenty for doing small gigs. I play harp through tube and my son plays an acoustic Martin through an Epi jr without a feedback problem. Tube amps are like owning a sports car, there are ways of making them go faster and farther. If you are a real Doc, do you do Internet calls? (just kidding)
mike932
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 am

No, I'm not a real Doc, I'm just a former Hospitalcorpsman and then Physician's Assistant, then firearms instructor at a major law enforcement training center. Rico is the REAL Doc!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Just throwing in another vote for tube amps.

I can't say too much about effects pedals. I've had a few over the years, but I've eventually sold them all off except for my phaser. Any distortion I use comes from the amp. The tube amp.. lol..
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm a harper, but imo everybody should have a wah pedal of some sort. There are some more modern blues tunes where it is an indispensable tool, if you play electric blues. Otherwise, effects pedals are much more necessary if you play rock, as opposed to blues. I always use a delay pedal for harp, unless i'm trapped in front of a vocal mic eq'd for voice, in which case there's usually some reverb on the patch.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:57 am

Everyone should have a wah? Tell that to Metallica. Wah should be use sparingly. Wah is the most overused pedal ever in my opinion. If it doesnt' sound good going straight in...then no matter the effect..fuzz, phaser, delay, wah..it will still sound like junk. Effects are meant to color sound...not cover it up.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:16 am

Doc wrote: Rico is the REAL Doc!

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear :( :( :(
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 pm

texas blues wrote:Everyone should have a wah? Tell that to Metallica. Wah should be use sparingly. Wah is the most overused pedal ever in my opinion. If it doesnt' sound good going straight in...then no matter the effect..fuzz, phaser, delay, wah..it will still sound like junk. Effects are meant to color sound...not cover it up.
Cheers, TB.

Agreed.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:10 pm

The use of effects does not dictate that the guy using 'em cannot make his guitar sound good without 'em. That is a common argument that holds no water. It's not part of the discussion. Many extremely talented musicians with great tone use lots of effects. I understand that some guys use none-- some a little, and some alot. I use delay nearly 100% of the time, and I know plenty of harpers who never thought of using delay. I'll bet most people don't even know I'm using it when they hear me. I agree though...you notice wah when it's being used,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:27 pm

No no... I agree with you on that. But what annoys me is when you get a guy who can barely play or write a good riff, but he'll dress it up with 18 different effects and his big ol' Zoom pedal and phase it and flange it and reverb it and delay it and turn it into something it's not. I just can't behind that.

But I'm not against effects pedals. How could I be such a staunch supporter of the Rev. Billy Gibbons if I was?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues