A question for you Tube Screamer owners

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: A question for you Tube Screamer owners

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 am

No, it's not. And it's in a really cheap flimsy plastic pedal. But it's a pretty good sounding overdrive/mild distortion pedal. It was really killer when MF had it on sale at $10.99! (Or maybe it was $9.99.) I can't personally attest to its close similarity to the TS (which I don't have), I'm taking the word of a pedal freak over on another board who took his apart and analyzed the circuit. But I can definitely say it works well through a Valve Junior.
ricochet
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:01 am

Can't say I have used the TS-9. I have a BD-2 which is okay for the music room at low level but lacking for gigging I think. For that its the Deluxe or Champ on 6 and a Micro Amp for boost. Jacked up tube balls to the wall babeee! Let us know how that Tubyamulator grooves for you. Cheers TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 pm

I went to GC today, and ran a Tele and an LP through a small Fender Frontman amp with a bunch of different pedals. I tried out the TS9 and the TS9 deluxe, and I like the regular TS9 better. They didn't have a TS808 though. I also played through a Holy Grail reverb (I gotta get me one of them) and a Big Muff Pi pedal. I liked the Big Muff so much that I bought it. I just plugged it in to my Classic 50 with my Agile (that has P90s) and man oh man it is an amazing fuzzy distortion.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep lookin around for some more of those Tube Screamer type pedals and give them all a shot. I really liked the TS9, a lot. So we'll see.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm

I have a Holy Grail Reverb Pedal.
I love it.
grady
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:15 am

hey lefty! congrats on the good choice.Big Muff. If your still on a quest for tone , you can always grab just about ANY other O.D. or distortion pedal and put it in front or behind that BigMuff. Tweaking the controls on both can find you a sweet spot or two. There are so many choices out there. I'd love to indulge myself some boutique pedals ,but I don't play out anymore and I tend to keep levels pretty low around the homefront.Nothing fancy around here(pedal wise) all i got is a Danelectro Daddy-O distortion and sometimes an MXR distortion + in front of that... enjoy that new pedal.
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 am

I just picked up a Barber LTD on Ebay.
Can't wait to try that baby out.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17 am

+1 for the SD-1 - I've had one since they first came out in the early 80's, bought a "new" one some time ago "just in case" the old one decides to call it quits... no mods, straight from the shop to the pedalboard - I've had loads of "boutique" pedals and always ended up selling them, but this one stayed - says enough I guess

another (more TS-9 like) pedal I like a lot is my VoodooLab Sparkledrive, basically a TS-9, but you can dial in how much of the overdrive you want to use vs how much of your clean you want to keep = going from clean boost to overdrive only with all stages in between...

on my pedalboard I use these 2 = gtr --> VoodooLab --> SD-1

VoodooLab alone = more of a clean boost with a little edge
SD-1 on it's own = just overdrive (which is pretty well controlable with gtr volume)

both = liquid sustain (think Santana)
jaybee
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Jay I also really liked the SD-1 stock.

See I tried to mod mine so I could change chips in and out...I messed it up bad, the iron was too hot 30watts...I didn't know better at the time.

I missed it so much I sent it to Moho mods and they fixed it for me and modded it at the same time. I loved the way it sounded stock, but I love it even more now that I can change between the TI chip and the famous tubescreamer chip. I'm currently using the TI, and it sounds great. These are the most versatile pedal Boss makes IMO.
bignick
Regular

Postby Dave_CO » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:41 pm

MJM Blues Devil for me, though I also have the MI Audio Blues Pro and MI Crunch Box on my board. To my ears the MJM gets the most convincing vintage 808 tone but is also a bit more versatile. At the risk of sounding like a snob, I'll never go back to using any "production" pedals after using boutique stuff.
Dave_CO
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 pm

My cousin (who plays Bass and Flamenco guitar, and used to play electric) bought me a Boss DS-1 pedal. I played through it last night, and it has a pretty good overdriven sound. I still am looking around for a good deal on a Tube Screamer or other pedal that was recommended here. But since I've had to take 2 weeks off work because I hurt myself, money is a little short.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 62strat » Tue May 20, 2008 4:28 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:Which Tube Screamer pedal is the best one? In your opinions, and why. I own no pedals, and would like to start getting some. I've been reading up on Tube Screamers, but I have yet to play through one since I can't seem to find any around here. So which version is the best? The TS-9, the TS808, or the TS9DX?

Take a look at http://www.effectspedalboutique.com -- not cheap, but not outrageous either -- I got their SRB808+ and I'm very happy with it -- it does a very smooth TS sound, and you can switch it for "Marshall" and "Dumble" sounds too -- I put those in parens because I don't know if the box really sounds like those amps, but at least you get three useable and distinct tones instead of just one. I've got a really nice modded TS-9, but I like the SRB808 a bit more. The place is really just a guy named Dave Wireman and his wife, but he's very responsive to emails and he'll tweak the box for you if you like.
62strat
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed May 21, 2008 1:33 pm

I use Tube Screamers and had them redone by this guy......

http://www.aramateffects.com/

I had my Fuzzface's re-done by them also and I've got to tell ya, they sound better than any of the stock ones I've evr tried out. They guy is really fast with his turnaround time too. I sent 'em out on a Monday and had them back for a show on Friday. I'm definately glad that I have two of each because I wouldn't want to be without either of these. I also have a Dano FabTone. Sometimes I just use it instead of setting up the whole chain (of effects).

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 am

The TS 7 is very good!!!
MOJOE
Regular

Postby johntuggle » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:04 pm

I use the Ts9 DX I believe the turbo tubescreamer. It's pretty good, but lately I've been digging the OCD by Fulltone. I highly recommend you check it out. It's a little different than the tube screamer though.
johntuggle
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues