Need Some Advice, RE: Amps/PA's

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need Some Advice, RE: Amps/PA's

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:45 pm

To begin with, my knowledge of amplifiers, etc, is deficient. I presently have a 25W Fender Frontman that I often use to amp my reso and it does everything I need.

My question is based on the following additional needs. I want to be able to set up a mic and also a porch board for casual playing and am wondering what would be the most efficient way to accomplish this, without shelling out a lot of money.

Any and all feedback is most appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

'pends...

Postby WeirdOlAndrew » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Dunno what a porch board is, but for a mic, you want cleans. Kinda depends where you are (big city or what) and time vs money.

If your in an urban area, some hunting should turn up an old church or school PA, or maybe a big old hi-fi amp. Might take awhile to find, but can be found cheap....might need a little tinkering to get running right...power supply caps, etc. You don't need tube stuff, SS is OK for cleans.

IF a hi-fi is what you've got, probably need a mixer to go in front, as it'll not have the inputs you need. Again in an urban area, Craiglist or a big music store with a used/consignment dept. might turn up some monitors---might even turn up a whole PA for that matter, else hunt for some LARGE high wattage stereo speakers. Watch the ohms, a lot of your chruch/school PAs want 16ohm speakers, hifi generally wants 8.

On the chruch/school stuff, look at the inputs, make sure they look like something you can jack into. A lot of the older ones had a very weird thing that actually put a fairly high voltage on the mic line. A lot of those look like theres a big hollow sort of screw with a carboard disc with metal lump in the middle. Its pain in the kazoo to try to cobble up something that'll fit those.

Hope this gives ya some ideas...good hunting!
WeirdOlAndrew
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:40 pm

two words Fender Passport. 4 inputs and plenty of power for a solo or duo. Check it out and not super expensive.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Bumping this back in hopes of more feedback. Electrics and the building of such just isn't my thing, so I'm looking at more of a plug and play option.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Sounds to me like what you're really looking for is a small PA rig. You can mic the amp if needed, and the PA will do your voice and porch board. (Board to stomp on.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback Rico, and to you and yours my sincere wishes for a joyous holiday season, from a sort of Doc to a real one! :lol:
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Re the Porch board:

I had been playing around with building one of these but after a couple attempts using different pick-ups, and one using an old mic, I was still unhappy with the result - couldn't get it to sound remotely like a bass drum!

I solved the problem by building my "Suitcase Bass" drum. I've got an old suitcase that I mounted to a heavy board (I use an old 2x6 that is actually 2x6). The board has been built so that a kick pedal can be mounted to it. VOILA! You have a pretty cool drum that actually sounds like a drum!! And it doesn't take up a channel. People at my gigs think it is pretty cool ...

If anyone is interested, I have an extra Ludwig kick pedal that I would sell for $15 plus cost shipping.

Mississippi John
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks, Doc! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Here's something that I learned the hard way.

I use a lot of percussion. Either with a Drum Machine or a Stomp Box (porch board). You're gonna need 15" PA Speakers with that thing.
I busted a brand new set of 12" PA Speakers.
grady
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues