Its all Eq. Take care of it!!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby 601blues » Tue May 29, 2007 3:17 pm

jeffl wrote:Hey Panhead, congrats on the life change! I really admire that kinda willpower. I've been contemplating knocking alcohol outa my diet after drinking a little more than moderately since I was in high school. I've never had any problems at work with it, 'cuz I only drink recreationally, but it used to cause problems at home about 10-15 years ago; and, now, I've been carrying about 30 pounds too much,greatly due to continual caloric intake via alcohol. I weigh about 210, and I'm 5'6". The main prob is that I have high blood pressure and I'm sure that nearly or totally eliminating alcohol and excercising regularly would retard the advancement of those BP issues.
:shock: Jeff, Iam in the same boat as you,with my drinking, it runs in my family,my mom died of alcohol related issues as my grandmother and my Brother, so Iam very careful of that fact!!When I quit music in the 70s to raise my family, I laid down a lotta stuff Pot,coke, and Alcohol, and felt it was part of my music life style, when I picked up my music once again in the late 80,s my wife was not at all happy,she thought I would go back to my old ways, But I found that I could play better without all that neg influnces, I still drink now and then, but I will not keep Beer or other stuff at my house,cause if its there I will drink it!! I have no control, but if its not there I don't get the urge!! Good Thinkin hope you will follow thru!! :wink:
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 29, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks 601.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue May 29, 2007 3:49 pm

:shock: Hi!whats yer name?? TEX!! where ya from?? Mississippi!! why they call ya TEX??? cause when they called me MISS, I would punch em in da nose!!! :lol:
601blues
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 29, 2007 6:18 pm

CONGRATS to ALL you achievers!
I no longer drink (since 1987) and don't have a weight problem HOWEVER I smoke like a chimney! I have tried to quit many times over the years and had success in stayin off for 8 months several years ago (also gained a fair amount of weight) but I convinced myself one night while camping that havin one cigar at the campfire would be okay............ WRONG! Been smoking again ever since! I will be 50 in Sept. and I've decided that quitting again will be my gift to myself not only for the health aspect but with a 10 dollar a day habit thats a hellava savings plan! I have already told my MD that I'm a sissy when it comes to discomfort and I plan to use any and all drugs (prescribed) to assist in the process. Since I've made the decision to do this and I have an actual date picked, I'm actually excited about it!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 pm

:D GREAT!!!GREAT!!! man it is a difficult thing to dump fo sho!!a couple of friends used zyban, its a prescrip, drug, no nico, from what I understand it was first a anti depressant, but didn't work but everyone stoped smokin anyway!!haha! thats a 300 buck a month savings!! just think of all the new gear you can get!!!YEAH BABY!!
601blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 pm

We're back from our travels, and it's time to make good on my promises - looking for a good "Primary Care" physician here in Portland to discuss my joint pain with, get a clear idea what kind of exercise I should be doing, and all that jazz.

Ate way too much all month, of course. Between the good cooks of Italy - and the good Italian cooking in Philly...lets just say I've gone up a belt hole for a little while.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Nice to have ya back Dan! Hope all goes well w/ the Doc and that it turns out to be a relatively easy fix!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue May 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Welcome back Dan!

Since we are on the topic of alcohol... I dont know if you guys know how bad alcohol is in today's highschools. Two kids I know showed up to my first period class today hungover and still somewhat drunk from the night before. It seems as if thats all a lot of high schoolers do is drink. I hate alcohol (except wine) so I dont drink. That and my dad's whole side of the family including himself are big time drinkers so I tend to stay away from it. Congrats to all of you guys who stopped drinking and smoking. It's always good to hear that kinda stuff.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 pm

>>>zyban

YUP, wunnerful drug! Used it last time and plan to use it again along with patches, gum and whatever mind altering chems that will get me thru the withdrawals in a partial coma! :roll:
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 29, 2007 11:46 pm

In case you don't know, Zyban = Wellbutrin SR (in equivalent doses), and there is a generic equivalent. This can be helpful in getting it through insurance plans or just getting it a bit more affordably. (Maybe you also have been fighting depression lately?)

I've been getting good reports back from patients who've been using the recently introduced Chantix to help them quit. Blocks the buzz of nicotine as well as the withdrawal symptoms. Main side effect seems to be nausea. And transient poverty, of course.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 30, 2007 2:21 am

I can't possibly apologize for my social drinking this month.

I met my brother in law with a bottle of Duty Free 'Woodford Reserve" and a few days later, it's Preseco in the afternoon.

Every place we ate, there were drinks served between courses. Basically, it's impossible to arrive to late to eat, or have a cocktail.

In Philly, ir's just not that different. It's still Red Wine with the Pastafaggioli - as good as any of the food in Italy - and a Cheesesteak at a local bar in the afternoon.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed May 30, 2007 2:50 am

>>>In case you don't know, Zyban = Wellbutrin SR

I did know that and I am VERY fortunate to be married to a teacher who has AWESOME health bene's w/ script coverage!
Rico, Here's a good line for yer male patients who worry about the possible side effect of Zyban causing "ED"........ My Doc said that the side effects would be temporary w/ the drug but could be permanent if I continued to smoke!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 30, 2007 10:19 am

Yep. If you want to take the lead out of your pencil, smoke lots!
ricochet
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 am

ricochet wrote:Yep. If you want to take the lead out of your pencil, smoke lots!

Well, I never had that exact problem, though I'm sure that the wheezing, rattling chest, and stinking smell couldn't be described as terribly appealing to m'lady. Nonetheless, I'm glad to have quit BEFORE I found myself needing a little blue pill.

I'm also convinced that my excess tonnage is directly related to my fondness for beer.

Dan, there is nothing quite like a cheesesteak and a brew, eh?
panhead74
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 30, 2007 11:49 am

Now this thread is having the opposite effect on me than the effect it started with: after listening to 601 I wanted to lose weight and seriously reduce my alcohol intake; after listening to Dan, I'm hankerin' for good rich food, wine, and maybe a cigar, lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues