Good find!!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Good find!!

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:34 pm

I was on my way Back from New Orleans yesterday headed to Mississippi, and was going thru Sun Louisanna, and saw a litte flea Market,selling boiled crawfish, stoped to get a few lbs, and on a table I saw a guitar checked it out ,it was a Peavey Preditor, a Strat knock off, someone had written all over it with a black Magic Marker, it was a mess, Red with white pick guard,and Maple neck and fret board, and 2 strings on it, I asked what she would take for it, and the lady said ,give me 10 bucks!!! it was worth that, Last night I used purple Cleaner and the magic marker cqame right off no stains!! polished her up put a set of new strings on her, other than a few chips in the red paint here and there she looks purdy darn good!! pluged into my Marshall, and she sounded real nice as well!! needs new Head nut and a tone pot is bad other than that I got my 10 bucks worth, if I just hang it on the wall!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 pm

Things like that are fun. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:27 pm

Purple Cleaner?

Is that Meths?
Bournio
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:45 pm

:shock: The purple cleaner Iam refering to is a degreaser,Cleans the heck outta engine's and BBQ grills ,I put in into a spray bottle and soak greasy eq. I don't recommend it for good guitars, however in this case a 10 buck guitar with Magic Marker art on it I had nuttin to lose, and it took off that marker like it was nuttin, and didn't harm the finish, I followed up with a wipe down of clean water, dried it well,and the used Gibson polish on it and it shined like a new penny!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm

The original purple stuff is Castrol Super Clean. A competitor came out called Purple Power. Both are soap solutions with lye in them. High powered grease strippers for car engines and stuff. Eat up aluminum. My wife started stealing my Super Clean and using it as a bathroom cleaner. It sure works!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:40 pm

:shock: I buy mine at car quest,same stuff its called purple cleaner, works great!! I think I pay right at 5 bucks a gallon,
601blues
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:07 pm

We had a degreaser in the Navy that we called "Wunder Wiz" and it would cut through any kinda grease or grime, ruin aluminum as Ric said and a cup of it in a 55 gal drum that we had turned into a washing machine would not only get the grease outta our dungarees but would leave em nice and soft although too many washings would eat the stitching up! The purple cleaner they sell in auto stores is pretty much the same thing and is a must have for any home owner!
Congrats on yer find 601!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:11 am

:? GEZZ!! I shoulda took a few before pics!!! so you could see what a little cleanin will do!!but here is an after pic, I still need ta get a selector switch knob and a back cover plate,and 4 tremolo springs I ordered them from Stew Mac this afternoon 10.19 cents so now I have 20.19 invested, and she sounds darn good as well after puttin new strings on her lastnight and stickin a block of wood behind the tail piece to lock it I tuned her up,and she has a strat single coil sound, I pluged her in to the delta Blues,and sounded good then into the Marshall, and YES she came ta life! Image
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:20 am

:? Man this thing was marked up BAD, here is the only place I have had a problem,Look real close at the tip of the head stock you can still see a slight black stain on the tip !!The marker found a way thru the finish there But I am gonna hit it again with a little bleach and see if I can kill that stain! Image
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:25 am

:shock: PLUS!! I was putin her back together last night, after I had my Jamjam's on and my evening tottie, and restrung it backward at the tunin post,GEZZ! oh well if at first!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Hey, that's a nice looking axe!

Most modern inexpensive guitars are finished with some sort of polyurethane. Highly chemical resistant stuff. The lye in purple cleaner would strip shellac right off, and I'd be leery of it on nitrocellulose. (I suspect it would hydrolyze it.) Just saying this for folks who may be thinking about cleaning up old acoustic guitars and such. I'd use something milder, generally.

That purple stuff will take gobs of old dried cosmoline (and the original linseed oil finish) off of mothballed ancient military rifles.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues