Take care of your Equipment!!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Take care of your Equipment!!

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:11 pm

We polish out instruments and retube out amps ,and restring our guitars to get them too look and sound there best, However the most important piece of eq. get over looked most of the time!!That is us, or I should speak for my self ,ME!! after my overseas tours a couple years ago, eating is 5 star resturants and really havin a good time really triggered a weight gain surge that I never really addressed, So In the post about live Pics, That someone took of my show a couple weeks ago I was shocked!! by how sloppy I had let my self become, and had been feeling sluggish and lazy, and not thinking as sharp as i wanted, Then I had a doc,s appointment on Feb 15/ 07 And weighed in at 270, !!!!!Not Good!! Now what does this have too do with music??? Well your apearence is very important when your in frount of a crowd, as much as you sound, and it is also hard work and can be very stressful doing live shows, you need to be mentally sharp and have good energy!! people come to live shows to be entertained!! You need to really work that show!!So your health and energy is the most important piece of eq.you have, and as we get older its more important as ever!! ANYWAY! I decided feb 15/07 that my EQ,needed attention, I sat down and wrote down a game plan of hoe to correct my EQ, 1st my diet and excerise, today is March 15/07 ,28 days later since My docs visit, I weighed in at 245 lbs this morning, thats a 25 lb weight loss in 28 days thats almost a lb a day!!!!!!and I feel great and alert, and feel I have more confidence in my self, my goal is 225,so Iam only 20lbs away!! I have went from my 44 waist pants to my 40 waist pants, and the next step at 225 I will be back into my 38 inch pants, I want to be playing for a long time yet, But you gotta take care of your EQ>
601blues
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:18 pm

I hear you. In my college football days, following injury I shot up to 285. I'm 6'4", but that is still pretty heavy. I was a big dude and it wasn't all muscle. As soon as football was over I gradually lost weight and am now 233, which is the lightest I have ever been. Mainly due to cutting back calorie intake.

My Mom doesn't exercise at all and dropped about 40lbs on that South Beach diet.

Congrats! It feels good when you start dropping those pant sizes. I went from a 42 - 36.
bignick
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Yeah nick Iam 6'4" myself,
I don't like the word Diet,I like the ideal That Iam not on something,just corrected the way I eat,and the things I eat, once you have recognized that things that are bad then just change it, and eat smart!!BUT yes its a great feeling
601blues
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Yup! me too. wondered why my guitar was getting further away from me when I played it! Must be all that relaxed muscle, I kept telling myself. Been watching my diet for the past fortnight, lost half a stone already, feeling brighter already. And it does seem easier to pick up that heavy old reso.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:54 pm

You got that right you got to take care of your body as well as your hardware. I just recently quit a 2 pack a day smoking habit and I feel better than I have in years and thats just after 2 weeks. I'm sure I'll probably pick up a little weight during the quitting process but most do. Now that springs on its way I'll be more active and get more exercise so the extra weight should fall off quickly.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby songdog » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm not much for hangin out in gyms so I usually ride my bike in the Summertime and at least try to walk a few times a week during the winter months otherwise I'd very easily creep over the 200lb mark.

John Popper is a good example of a musician that recently shed some weight. I think he's dropped over 180 lbs!!

Keep it up 601 and you'll definitely feel as good as you'll look.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Keep it going 601...it's worth every ounce 8) !!! Congrats Stratman on kicking the smoking! Man...it's a bitch for awhile, but I can't even begin to describe how good it feels at 7 months since I quite smoking and chewing. I'm with 601, I want to play as long as I can. I lift weights and ride a ski machine in my basement every morning. I'm 46 and went from feeling 90 to feeling ...oh...I'll go with about 25 or so :D

Drinking is a whole nother story...quit that 16 years ago...just about put my whole set up 6 foot under.
1four5
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:22 pm

GOOD FOR you!!!Stratman!!!Thats great!! as far as weight gain.Just look out for the sugars, and you'll be OK!! Man Iam glad ta see everyone with positive responce to this thread!! Iam very excited about my weight loss! Iam feeling great!! lotsa energy, I can look down as see my belt buckle!!!I fill sharper mentally and feel as if Iam in control!! Weighed in this morning at 242, Thats 28lbs lost since feb 15, Thats 29 days!!almost a Lb a day!!!!Like I said my goal is 225, at 6'4" that is a nice looking weight, should have a 38 waist at that weight!! Keep it up guys!!! take care of your EQ, and it will take care of you!!
601blues
Regular

Postby Bournio » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Don't go too far t'other way though, I'm 6ft ish, broad shouldered, my weight is somewhere between 12-13stone and that's alright for me, but earlier this year i lost a stone and a half... 10&1/2 is not good for me... my cheeks went hollow, i wasn't happy either... so now my target is unless i grow more(it ain't likely) i'm gonna keep between 12-13&1/2.

Just thought i'd mention it before we get a bunch of dangerously underweight bluesmen... it ain't healthy.
Bournio
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:50 pm

:shock: Thats true, Iam staying below 20 carbs a day right now, and as I approch my goal of 225, I will add 5-10 carbs a day til I level off, and stablize at my weight, and then maintain that diet .
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm one of life's light people but weight is still an issue, and since I've been off work with this broke leg, muscle has turned to fat. A lot of it is above the area of disc/bone damage in my spine (caused by too much hard work, not enough money for it), so I have to try to lose around half a stone or more otherwise the sciatica comes to stay. This is a visitor I do not wish on many people.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:45 pm

:shock: Same here MAXX!!I have been in construction all my life startin at 14, as a laborer, back then we didn't have all the fancy eq.like bobcats and such, a wheelbarrow was the main tool, so I had a lotta wear and tear on my body as well, not to mention being thrown off a 3rd floor by a steel worker when I was 16, cuz he didn't like long hair hippies, landed flat on my back in the mudd, couldn't walk for about 2 weeks, I was young and tough then!! now that would kill me!! But I have to keep active or I will start gittin stiff myself!
601blues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues