Help!! Whats this Ebay Item worth???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Help!! Whats this Ebay Item worth???

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :DBS:US:13

I stumbled on this but don't know its value or what year it is. I looked through some Gibson serial #sites and can't really tell. The item is ending tonight so if any one can shed some light I'd really appreciate it. Everyone must be holding out on bidding. Looks to me like its about the same size as a 000-18 Martin. Not sure on that either.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 pm

That one would scare the heck outa me. I'm a little surprised that a pawn dealer wouldn't know what model it is,when there's lots of information available on Gibsons. It's hard to tell if it's a Gibson or a fake. I'd hate to buy it without playin' it, considering he notes it's damaged. With a little research though, it looks to me like it's a 1968 B-15; If you track the serial # through the vintage Gibson sites, and then google for B-15s you'll see there are some for sale. I would not use somebody else's "asking price" to determine the value of anything. There are guitar book values available. If you have a good dealer, he may share his book with you. Every time I try to get a book value online, they wanna charge me. Even book values are not always 100% accurate and do not reflect recent trends on limited items. A dealer who deals in vintage instruments is the best source, and they don't always like giving out free information. Apparently they were built as a student model, and they're not anything special.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:33 pm

At that price, I would think any older Gibson acoustic would be worth it. It has the thin head-stock that showed up on a lot of 60s Melody Maker's and it looks legit. Probably at least a $600 purchase.

If that is a copy, than it is a damn good one. It is weird that it would be coming out of a Pawn Shop though. Pawn-shops bluebook everything. As an ebay seller that really wants to sell something, this guy probably figured it would end up in a bidding war and he would make more than he asked for. Note that he is a power-seller to though, and has good feedback. From the looks of it, he sells a lot of guitars. If they were fakes, complaints would be visible. You hear about fakes a lot in vintage Gibson Electrics and old Marshall/Fender Amps, but I haven't heard much about acoustics, and why someone would want to copy that particular Gibson model is beyond me. If you could copy a guitar that well, wouldn't you want to put your own stamp on it? Especially if the boutique market is as popular as it is right now?

Email Froggy at Elderly on their Gear Exchange page. He can usually tell you what something is worth to a store. Personally, I would bid on it. It probably is a legit steal. It wouldn't hurt to at least ask him some questions and run that number.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:37 pm

I agree with BigNick that it's probably for real, and that the guy figured he'd benefit from a bidding war. I also would not be surprised if it's worth $600, but my question would be whether or not it plays as good as some other acoustics that can be bought for alot less. It's like the Silverface Champ I bought a few years ago: for the money I paid, I coulda had a number of amps that were better harp amps; I just wanted a Champ, and I was willin' to pay for it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 am

I did that with an 84 Gibson Explorer with the original Kahler tremelo. The pictures were kind of fuzz but it looked okay. The price was right at $400 and I really wanted an Explorer. I could have had a new Epiphone for that much.

The finished was cracked to all hell, someone tried a horrible Van Halen paint job, there was no locking nut for the Kahler, no truss-rod cover. Mismatched cracked knobs, etc. I had it repainted and it ended up being a nice guitar, but I did the same thing.

In this case, I haven't played a Gibson parlor that I didn't like, but I haven't played that many. You could probably make at least a couple hundred off this deal if you wanted to spin it.
bignick
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 am

I am no expert on guitars, and have no idea if this one is legit or not. I have found the kalamazoo's from the 30's to still be a good value. Here is mine. It is a 1938, and is a gibson without the bracing on the back, and no inlay or frills. It sounds killer. I paid $50 for it about 20 years ago. You can hear at my site. Walter

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:10 am

I think Walter has R.J.'s axe.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:43 am

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, I WANT one!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:53 am

The reason that Guitar on Ebay sold so cheap is that those adjustable height Saddles suck eggs.
They sound horrible and are the worst idea Gibson ever had.
Well, that and weight relief holes in Les Pauls.

If you passed onit then, good on you.
If you bought it, just try to pretend I never said anything.
grady
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:59 pm

yeah i passed it up i would have snapped it up if it had stayed under 275-300. Probably would have tried to resell. Thanks for all the advice.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues