People need to stop selling cool stuff! New Guit!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

People need to stop selling cool stuff! New Guit!

Postby bignick » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Sorry for the pic, can't seem to get anything in complete focus with this camera! Guy wanted $400 with case. I ended up with it for $300, which was my squareneck reso and a cab.

1984-85 G&L Invader. I had to do some pup swapping though, had some improperly mounted pickups in it with white covers. Put the stock pickup back in the neck and covered the middle SC up with a black cover instead of the white one. It has a Jeff Beck humbucker in the bridge and someone installed a coil tap. Original Kahler tremelo, but I just ordered a new Kahler fixed-tail version. They drop right in so I can go back and forth with the two units. I couldn't pass it up. G&L's were so cool and my early guitar hero Jerry Cantrell used a Rampage, which is a version of this guitar with only one Humbucker. Reallly collectible and probably the best feeling guitar I have now.

Coolest feature? Instead of a standard switch, each pickup has an on/off toggle. The more you turn on, the more combinations you get.

bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:38 pm

Love G&L guitars !!

You can also get a set of heavier springs for the Kahler.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:17 pm

That oughta be fun!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:29 pm

That should be a GREAT axe, Nick! I love those unusual finds. It should play faster than greased whale snot! Does it...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:05 am

It has unusually wide string spacing than the guitars I have. This can be easilly adjusted but I'm starting to like it.

Grady, I went ahead and ordered the new fixed-tail version. I will keep both. I'm not really a tremelo guy. Too hard to tune.

To tell you the truth jeff I haven't had a whole lot of time to do anything with it. The wife and I are headed to Lake Tahoe and I am tied down with work, a paper for my Master's course, etc. The bridge will be here Monday and it is an exact drop in. I took work off that day so I will be able to play with it a bit.
bignick
Regular

Postby slickcat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:58 pm

I love G&L guitars...I hate Floyd Rose trems....you need a setup guy just to keep the dang thing balanced right. You will spend more time tuning than playing :shock:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:18 pm

Very cool guitar.

About Kahlers and Floyds...they can be fun but a proper set-up is quite necessary. But if I'm not mistaken, the hard-tail Kahler and the vibrato on there now are interchangeable, so you can always switch back and forth depending on your preference any given jam.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 pm

That is very true, but you need to buy the Kahler Hybrid model. It has a set screw that locks the cam to the back. Those are more money.

I figured that the fixed-tail Kahler is fine for what I do and it was $50 cheaper than the Hybrid. If I want a tremelo, I'll just put the other one back on. I hate messing with the balancing and tuning thing though.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:25 pm

I cant wait to see it. I'm at school and they block 99% of the websites online, and included are photo hosting sites, so I cant see it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Well I already caught the tinkering bug and decided to do some work on my G&L. Why? To bring it back to stock. Imagine that. I figure Leo Fender and George Fullerton knew what they were doing when they were making G&L in the 80s, why change it?

I swapped out that Jeff Beck Duncan humbucker out of the bridge and put in the stock German made Schaller one. It was not 4-conductor so I removed the homemade coil tap, which left a small hole in the body, but I don't mind. I shouldn't say it is completely stock though because I removed the Kahler trem for a Kahler fixed tail bridge and had to leave the Seymour Duncan SL-4 in the middle. I would love to find the stock magnetic field pickup to match the one in the neck, but unfortunately it seems to be very rare to find just one G&L magnetic field pickup.

bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues