My Flying V is complete!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

My Flying V is complete!

Postby bignick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Recieved a package from GFS yesterday and repotted and rewired the entire guitar last night. Now it is chock full of Retrotron goodness. An interesting look for sure, and I am happy with it. For $37 for the overwound Alnico Liverpool neck pickup and $35 for the overwound Nashville ceramic bridge pickup, these were a STEAL compared to the tone I get out of this guitar now. Sorry about the pic, I was tired and couldn't get the guitar in focus.

ImageThis is the 4th guitar I've put GFS pickups in and I've been happy with all of them.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Very,very nice Nick. Let's jam some blues!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm

Nice V Nick. Those p/u's and funky knobs sure give your guitar that funky personalized look. Good on ya!
texas blues
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:31 pm

I had red sparkle trim rings too, but I thought that maybe overdoing it.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:46 pm

It's a wise man who knows when he's trimmed somethin' out a little too much, me bucko! Congrats on that one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:25 pm

nice nick! I like it. Let us know when u got some clips up.

...I only wish my V was complete, lol. I just heard word from the guy at the guitar shop that the luthier has been jerkin him around and ended up not gettin anything done on my guitar. Never woulda wasted my time if I had known it was gonna be in the shop for 2 months (and not get anythin done). Wasnt the happiest of campers when he told me, but I know a guy that works on guitars who might even charge less than the shop. :shock:
savage
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 pm

That is nice looking, Nick!
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:52 am

Very cool. I love the look of filtertrons.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 am

Thanks Guys.

Savage, you could just do what you want to do yourself you know. In all honesty, I do not like Gibson's harnesses anyway. I noticed a huge difference when I switched to replacement Alpha pots. I've had legs die on 3 Gibson pots. Sometimes its better to just start over fresh with new parts. Especially when the whole harness should only run you about $20 total. Your switch should be fine.

Now, when it comes to pickups. You had mentioned that you wanted 57 Classics. I have been hearing that you cannot beat these for that kind of sound:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html

The whole setup would cost you about $100 for a set of pickups and complete wiring harness. They also throw in a very easy to follow diagram. If you know how to use a soldering iron, you can do it. It only took me a couple trys to figure my first wiring project out, once you get it you don't lose it and you don't have to pay someone to overcharge you on setting your stuff up. I was as mechanically naive and clumy as you could get and I figured it out.

Just my .02 though man. It will work out regardless but I see people swapping out Gibson pickups for GFS and Dimarzios all the time.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:45 am

Way to go Nick.

Glad to see it's all done.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:14 am

Looks great !!

Give us a SoundClip when you get a chance.
grady
Regular

Postby bluejay » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm

bignick wrote:I had red sparkle trim rings too, but I thought that maybe overdoing it.

As a guy who plays a pink paisley Tele, I can assure you that the sparkle trim rings are not overdoing it! 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby slickcat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:46 pm

Those pickups look cool in your "V" 8)
clips...clips... :lol:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 pm

nick, do you know if there are any soundclips of those pickups anywhere? The reason why I wanted the 57's is because most all the V's I've played had those in them, and I found them pretty satisfying. I wouldnt want to trade any quality in sound for a cheaper priced PU. Ive heard some fenders with dimarzio PUs and I really thought it sounded too thin. Im not sayin that those GFS ones arent as good as the gibson ones (heck, they could be better), but I've never tried them before. That'll be somethin for me to look into.
savage
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:55 pm

Very good point Sav. If you have liked the sound of those 57s in all of those Vs, maybe you should get them.

I have heard nothing but good things about them on HC and I can honestly say that these GFS are really what they are hyped up to be. I have tried the Dream 90, 180, lil' killer, 64 staggers, Nashville Retrotron, and Liverpool Retrotron. They are some of the best pickups I have tried. Also, if you do buy them and dislike them, you can unload them on ebay really quick.

However, I have not tried the GFS 59s because I opted for the Dreams. I can tell you that the best vintage PAF sound I have ever heard comes from the Dimarzio P.A.F Pro I have in the neck of my Epiphone LP copy. The Seymour Duncan 59 is supposed to be an almost exact replica and the PAF PRO simply blows it away. It has the best lead tone I have ever heard and I compare all pickups to it as my standard for what a PAF should sound like.

There is a guy on Harmony Central selling a set of those 59s in black for $30 shipped. If you are interested I can get his email.
bignick
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues