P90 style pickup adjustment? Help

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

P90 style pickup adjustment? Help

Postby TC90 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Plugged in my guitar for the first time last night. Noticed that the B and high E strings sound muted compared to the D and G strings. I've never played the P90 style single coil before (these are Seymour Duncan American made P90 style, not Duncan Designed) and wondered if there was any kind of adjustment to bring the two high strings in balance with the other four. The D and G sound killer, great response and punchy, while the high E and B sound muted. Wanted some advice from the experts before I started tinkerin' with 'em. Pot issue? and no, i'm not smokin' it. :D

thanks in advance and keep on Bluesin'! 8)
TC90
Regular

Postby straightblues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm

P90's have adjustable pole pieces you can raise or lower them.

In general, the closer you get the body of the pickup to the strings, the more full sounding it will be. If you get the pickup body away from the strings and screw out the pole pieces they will sound thinner and more treble.

In your case, it sounds like you ar happy with your tone on D and G. So you need to raise the pole pieces on the B and E so they meet the out put of the other strings.
straightblues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:17 pm

All pole pieces screwed all the way in and the height adjusted so the neck pickup's 3/16" below the strings and the bridge pickup's 1/8" under works for me. That's the old Gibson factory setup. If any individual string is weak, you can raise that pole piece a little. A little goes a long way.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues