Active pickup blues: EMG content.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Active pickup blues: EMG content.

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:31 pm

When I was a 17 year old guitar player I thought EMG's were the greatest pickups since sliced bread. I had a strat loaded with an EMG 81 Humbucker and two SA Single Coils. My Uncle had an American Standard loaded with EMG single coils ala David Gilmour. They sounded amazing.

When I was unhappy with the GFS P90s in my V I switched them with the EMG Zakk Wylde set in one of my LP copies. This includes both wiring harnesses because EMGs take different pots. I thought they would kick my V in the ass, they KILLED it instead. The GFS P90s sound smoking in the LP copy now and as a result, I never play my V which is my best feeling guitar.

I have created a wonderful combination with the settings of my tube amp and effects. Each guitar can be plugged straight into my setup without touching the knobs on either effect or amp and each guitar only modifies the tone slightly in a POSITIVE way. My V requires complete "knob overhaul" to sound good. It only shines with a lot of distortion and I don't use more than a touch of Overdrive now.

What happend to my ears? I think I have the Active Pickup blues boys. I may need me some magnets again. Maybe I am just finding out that MY tone requires passive pickups.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Sell those suckers to some other sucker and put P-90s back in your V. Can't beat 'em.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:34 pm

I might go Retrotron. :)
bignick
Regular

re:EMG's

Postby slickcat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:57 pm

I had replaced a set of PAF's in my Les Paul with some EMG 91's
The EMG's were LOUD and Noiseless however they just didnt have any soul. Great for metal...not so great for Blues. I really tried to like them...but :cry:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:53 pm

Got a set of these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsrehotnaov1.html

Hot Nashville Ceramic in the bridge, Hot Alnico Liverpool in the neck. I think they are right up my alley.

Ric, I figured I had one guitar with the P90s in it, why get the same pickups in another? I want to play them all, this gives me a reason.

Slick, I agree with you. Good pickups, not enough soul. It's like playing Chess against the computer versus real person....if that makes any sense. Like all my GFS purchases, I know these won't let me down. The EMGs are going on Evil-Bay tonight for about $130. I just want them gone. It only cost me $90 for both GFS pickups and all new wiring components.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm liking your new choice. Those should look quite nice in a V.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:27 pm

I figure P-90s are enough. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:56 am

Yeah I can't wait to get them in. I even paid the extra to have it 2 day shipped so they would arrive Saturday. I emailed Jay at the site and said that if there was no way that they could get here on Saturday to please change my order to normal ground shipping.

They changed my order, but I don't see how (if they are shipped out tomorrow like they say) that they wouldn't get here by Saturday if it is 2 day shipping? I won't have any time to install them next Monday or Tuesday and I am IMPATIENT. I want them Saturday. I emailed them back and told them to change it back to two day if they could make it.

I don't think they read my email carefully. I hope I get them.
bignick
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 am

I have been shopping around for a V for the last month. Let us know when you reload the P90's. Maybe a pic or two?
texas blues
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:22 am

The P90s aren't going into this guitar. The Retrotrons are. The P90s went into my LP copy.
bignick
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:33 am

"I thought EMG's were the greatest pickups since sliced bread."

Man, and I thought sliced bread wouldn't induce a current no matter what I did.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby slickcat » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm

GFS pickups get pretty good reviews and the price cant be beat. Nick...let us know how those new ones sound. 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:17 pm

I haven't had a bad experience with them yet Slick. I've tried their hot rails, lipstick single coils, 64 stagger single coils, Dream 90, Dream 180, and purchased all of my soldering stuff and components from them too.

It is all good stuff.
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues