Distortion Pedal recommendations ??

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Distortion Pedal recommendations ??

Postby grady » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:36 am

I need a Distortion Pedal.
Something with a good Classic "CRUNCH" to it's tone.
It has to have a great attack.
Something very "Marshall" sounding.

I don't want anything with that super-scooped "Uber-Metal" tone.

I'm thinking Pro Co RAT.

What have you guys tried and what do you prefer ??
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 am

An original russian made Big Muff pedal. I like those.

That sounds a little dirty...
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:07 am

I have beat up 3 different Rat pedals, I played the crap out of em' ...that is and they are solid distortion stomp boxes. They can be a little on the fuzzy and treble side depending on the guitar and amp. I do not have one, but I have played an Ibanenez TS-9 Tubescreamer...another solid pedal. Nowadays I plug straight into the amp and crank it for my tone
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:34 am

I've had the original RAT and the Vintage RAT pedals before.

Alas, they were traded or sold.
Now, I'm smart enough to hang onto stuff like that.

I think I'll cruise on over to AMS & Musician's Friend and see what I can get one for.
grady
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:10 am

I like the late 70s block logo MXR Distortion+. It sounds quite nice through a slightly dirty amp.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:54 am

I think I'll cruise on over to AMS & Musician's Friend and see what I can get one for.

Hey Grady,

If it's not too late, Music 123 has one of those deals this weekend where if you call in and ask instead of buying on the internet, they'll give you a price lower than the advertised price of anybody out there. I've done a couple other times when they had a similar sale.

Mike
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Either a Bad Monkey or a Marshall Jackhammer. I think you'd really like the latter Grady. It isn't a Nu Metal pedal like some people thing either. On the OD setting with contour adjusted properly it sounds convincingly like a plexi. I use it on two of my recordings on myspace. If you want a Marshall sound...this is it. I hear the Guv'nor is good too.
bignick
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:32 am

I like the Daddy-O, by Danelectro. Sometimes I put an MXR Distortion+ , with the distort setting down pretty low,in front of that. that MXR worked real good in front of a BOSS OD pedal. Grady, you give any thought to the Line6 Distortion Modeler?
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 am

I haven't thought about the Line 6 Distortion Modeller.

Do you have one ??
What's it like ??
grady
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:26 pm

I just sold a Line 6 Distortion Modeller and I will try to give you a good review:

Pros: Tons of options. This thing will do it all and is fairly simple to use as long as you adjust the individual volume and EQ for every setting that you program. You dial them in a lot like the Spider II's banking system. Would be an easy pedal to gig with, and great for recording if you like to change tones on the fly.

Cons: There are really only 3 settings I used on the entire thing. The Compressor, Screamer, and Line 6 Distortion. The rest of them were all wayyyy to brittle. The fuzz settings are below par too IMO. You never stop dialing things in. You always feel the urge to tweak the settings to get a good tone. It also seemed to corrupt or saturate the sound of my guitars. I have 5 very different guitars, and they all seemed to sound the same on the OD and Distortion settings.

IMO, if you like the Rat sound, there is no substitute for a RAT. If you like a Screamer, get a Screamer. The Digital distortions all sound great at first, but bore you. I had a Digitech DF-7 and the same thing happend with that. All banks sounded okay, none compared to the original. Same with the Zoom 505.
bignick
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm

I don't own one,tried one once, (used it for a few hours at a rehearsal), and seemed to be very workable.Granted i did not spend as much time as Bignick did with his, but on the whole, I was satisfied. If I didn't have a couple of distortion pedals already ,I would probably buy one.That or a Fulltone Fulldrive2(which i have never tried, but my guitar hero uses one so thats good enough for me, considering Fulltone does not comp their pedals.No freebies, all the artists on their user roster , paid for the pedals. The way I see the Line 6, is you get a bunch of pedals to choose from, and put any four of your fav settings in memory.The guy who lent me his bought it in the U.S. for 129$ on sale at G.C.a year or so ago. edit. corrected fullerton to fulltone
Last edited by slideshowbob2 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby JLynn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:04 am

For Marshall sounding my bet would be on any of these...but some are priced rather up there a bit.

ZVex - Box of Rock
Fulltone - OCD
MI - Crunchbox
Radial - ToneBone Classic

I haven't tried the Zvex but the others were very good at nailing the 'Marshall' sound IMHO. Lot's of good pedals mentioned here but personally I don't see getting that sound from a Big Muff, Tube Screamer or Rat pedal (Allthough they are all great pedals in their own right). The Line 6 DM4 is a versatile pedal but again if 'Marshall' is what your going for I don't think you'd find it there either.
JLynn
Regular

Postby straightblues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:40 pm

The Marshall Guv'nor (GV-2) pedals do a very good job of it and they are cheap. $50 or $60 used.

The Keeley modified DS-1 does a great job for about $100

My favorite for this sound is a Maxon ROD-881. It is a real tube overdrive. I has two channels one for overdrive and one for distortion. There is also a boost for each channel. It can do Stevie Ray stuff and metal. These are going used for about $200 they sold for $300 new.
straightblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues