"Purists be Damned"

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Sometimes it is fun to just let 'er rip! :D

Nothing succeeds like success, and nothing exceeds like excess.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:06 pm

You'll prob'ly get alot more compliments about how great you're playin' too,lol, 'cuz yer playin' out of a stack. You'll prob'ly get more volume complaints outa the owner too, even if you play at lower volumes. I agree with Rico,too...there prob'ly isn't one of us who hasn't grabbed our biggest amp to play in our own house, and cranked it up to warp 12 when there's nobody around, jus' to hear the joists buzz in the attic.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:39 pm

I've made things fall down and crash by stepping on the expression pedal of my Hammond. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm

I think this might do the same job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Naw, there've been bigger guitar amps than 600W I'm sure.

Here's one with two channels of 300W each, all tube: http://ken-gilbert.com/techstuff/bigamp1.html
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm

I played in a 50's band in college with a lead guitarist who used a 700W Kern stack. We'd occasionally walk over to his amp during a tune and turn down the master; he got used to it; not the best ear in the world.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Them big amps, wow, they've made some huge ones over the years.

I had a chance to buy a Vintage Marshall single channel Head a few years ago.
It had a lot of problems and the guy kept saying "I fixed it" every time I went by to look at it but, every time I plugged into it, it still wasn't right.

He wanted about a thousand bucks for it too.
grady
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:16 pm

I've been blowin' harp almost exclusively through my Champ since I haven't been giggin' for the last year. Yesterday I pulled the cover off my Classic 30 for the first time in months. I didn't play through it, but I'm a gonna.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:49 pm

:o INSPERATION!!!! Lastnight ,I revisted a tune I have been workin on, I call it, Facin da Monster!! has a heck of a groove to it ,and I have just not been able to nail it the way it is soundin in muh Head!! But I tried it thru That Marshall on channel b with just enough over drive to growl a little !!!and ther it was !!I was facin dat Monster!! the tune feel in place YEAHH!! I came direct out to the KORG recorder and captured it head on!!!!Iam sorry but it did excite me!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm

That's great, 601!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm

:shock: Well this is a great example of expression, Friends don't understand why I have 30 guitars and 7 amps!! well its cause not one will produce the sound and passion you look for in different songs, And you have to search for that right sound!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I sometimes think that it's easier for guitarists to hear what their tone sounds like to others,'cuz as a harper,when you're playing, alot of your tone is generated inside your head and body (much like singing), and it sounds slightly different to others than it does inside your head. It's not much of a handicap for a harper, but I think it's a factor. One of the reasons I like going to acoustic jams is that it gives me a whole night to work on my tone without amplification,but within the confines of a band.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:22 pm

jeffl wrote:I've been blowin' harp almost exclusively through my Champ since I haven't been giggin' for the last year. Yesterday I pulled the cover off my Classic 30 for the first time in months. I didn't play through it, but I'm a gonna.
I work with Harps as well, not as much as I used too, But Iam startin to get back too em, I use Delta Frost,mostly, and just ordered a set of natural minors, anyway what do you suggest for me to do ta get that mellow honk, Ihave tried different amps, what mic do you use?? any effects?
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 pm

I use a new ( 5 year old ) Shure 520DX green bullet through a Peavey Classic 30 when I gig. The Peavey actually is a little too clean for some,but I like it for cut in the stage mix (I've downtubed the first pre-amp tube to a 12AT7, to push the amp more for early breakup) . Alot of that fatter tone comes from eq'ing the treble and mids mostly out. On the Peavey, I turn the bass all the way up, provide just a hair of mid ( like 1 or 1 and a half ), and treble all the way down. It's the classic amp setting for blues harp, unless you only have a tone control, like on older amps, and then I jus' turn the tone jus' about all the way down to the bass side. Some guys feed no mids at all. I use a Danelectro BLT slap echo to give it jus' a little depth, and I set the controls on the depth and repeat at jus' above 1, or jus' enough to give it a little depth and a little fat (I believe Bosco is still using the cheap little Dano as well). I have a DigiTech Digital Delay that I use as well, but I don't think it sounds any better and it's twice the size and weight, and 3 times the cost. I have a Holmes Harp Commander pre-amp for use when playin' straight into the Mains. That's a pricey little box (about the price of a small amp) but it allows you to pre-amp the signal and prevent feedback at the same time, getting a tone even through a vocal mic that'll be fine with the crowd. Honestly though, alotta times when I'm sittin' in with bands, I play straight thru their 58s and use a cup that gets awful close to the mic without actually touchin' it much. Most of the tone comes from inside your body cavities, so it's a matter of workin' with the equipment you're born with. (BTW,601, if yer playin' racked, I recommend that you give a listen to Walter Tore's one man band stuff to see what can be accomplished in terms of intensity and tone while playing with a rack )
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:46 pm

jeffl wrote: Yesterday I pulled the cover off my Classic 30 for the first time in months. I didn't play through it, but I'm a gonna.

No one home but me and the cat last night, so the comments on this thread prompted me to get my Pro Junior out and plugged in. Normally I just practice my Tele on my Micro Cube or the even smaller Pignose, so as not to shake up the house too much. So it had been sometime since the tubes had been glowing. While it is no Marshall stack, even 15 good watts of tube volume was quite a change; the thing is remarkably loud for its size and I never got it over 4 on the knob. What a lot of mental adjustment required, too, as I worked with the simple controls of that amp, and those of my DOD Mystic Blues overdrive pedal, to find tones. I'd really forgotten what my Tele sounded like with some power behind it -- the neck pickup that always seems pretty weak on the practice amps was much more robust through the tubes. Following your comments about turning the tone knob all the way down for harp, I did the same with that neck pickup and got this rich, bassy rhythm texture I hadn't found before.

Wife is gone for another night, so it's a good thing the house nearest our living room is empty at the moment. It may get noisy tonight.
bluejay
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues