"Purists be Damned"

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby grady » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about !!!!

Funny thing, I play "Piano Man" too....LOL !!

Way to go Mickey and Jeff !!!
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:24 pm

If you read and believe Escaping The Delta, Robert Johnson wasn't a bluesman, either. He was a musician. What we have recorded from him is mostly blues. That's what the record company wanted at the time, and RJ played what got him paid.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm

That's Exactly right Ric.

RJ played what made him the Money and it wasn't always Blues.

There are way too many accounts of RJ performing the hit songs of the day from too many people.
grady
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 am

That and people do not understand progression. Wasn't it Joe Walsh that said "If someone would have told me I would be playing Rocky Mountain Way for the rest of my life, I would have picked a different song."

Hell look at R.L. Burnside. The music at the end of his life was nothing like it was when he started. Blues is imbedded in everything. Mike Mcready admittedly copied every SRV lick in the book when recording Pearl Jam's 10 album and I think that he did it better and more original than 80% of the so called "Purists" out there. I bet he took a lot of crap for it too.

The only logical argument that I somewhat agree with involving vintage instruments other than the QC issue that Grady mentions is based on the theory that vintage instruments open up more over time and become easier to play. Frets wear thinner. The finish slowly fades. The alnico magnets mellow a bit, etc.
Last edited by bignick on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:15 am

I've always thought it somewhat hypocritical of hobbyist musicians to criticize professional musicians for "selling out" on a form of music, since alotta hobbyists would give anything to be able to play for a living. I guess its the age old dilemma of many artists: what are you gonna allow yourself to do in order to keep bread on the table? Everybody has different standards and some artists just have to be "true to themselves" and won't cross certain barriers. I'm more of a pragmatist who believes that selling out in some ways allows you to continue doing the thing you love. I've known good painters,potters,sculptors,etc., who had to get regular jobs cuz they wouldn't allow themselves to replicate their popular stuff that sold,because it bored them to take an assembly line approach and was below their standards. I say, knock out as many of 'em as you can in as tasteful a manner as possible and save your real good stuff for the people who wanna pay real good money for it. Now if you're an extremely different and immensely talented artist,with a chance to be great and historically significant, you may have some real serious decisions to make. I've got a buddy who's a multi-talented painter,sculptor,illustrator,etc.,but he's never made any kind of living at art 'cuz he won't "sell out". As a result,the world has been deprived of seeing his stuff: congratulations!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:37 am

Meh.

If an artist can be accused of "Selling Out", someone is taking them too seriously.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:29 am

I'm sitting here right now putting a 1981 Stratocaster back to original specs for a good friend of mine.
He got it in a Pawn Shop.
Evidently, some Kid had it before him.
It had a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks in it and someone had put one of those God-awful Washurn Wonderbar Tremelos on it.

I did a fret job on it, replaced the nut, put a set of vintage Strat Pickups in it, am currently putting one of those Wilkinson Vintage Tremelos on it trying to get it back to original specs (or as close as possible).
Of course, this Guitar has absolutely no Collector's value to it however,
when I'm finished with it, it'll be a great player.

The thing with Vintage Guitars is that, not all of them are treasures,
however, that doesn't stop them all from having a very high price tag.
Most of the time, you're dragging home a very expensive piece of crap.

There are very few of them that are true gems.
Those are the ones worth the money.
The rest of them are a rip-off.

This Strat is nice but, my G&L is a helluva lot better Guitar.
I've yet to play a old Strat (and I've owned a couple original '62 models)
that compare to the G&L I have.
I like the way the newer guitars feel.
They play so much better.

and sound ??
Put the right pickups in 'em and they're great.

The vintage SD Hot Stacks I took out of this Strat are in my G&L in the Neck & Middle positions.
I have a new Hot Rails in the Bridge.
grady
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 am

The most overused words on ebay "vintage" and "very rare".
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby savage » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:03 pm

allanlummox wrote:Meh.

If an artist can be accused of "Selling Out", someone is taking them too seriously.

i agree. thanks for brining this up grady. i like it.

trends, groups, classifications.... dammit if yer a musician, that means you are a human being. you are entitled to express every aspect you got in yer noodle, regardless of what others may think. when it comes to making money on record deals, yes, sometimes you are pressured towards certain veins, but its your music... yours, not the record deals... even though they say they own you once you sign. machines dont make music, machines do what people tell them to do...
savage
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:44 am

NEONMOONY wrote:The most overused words on ebay "vintage" and "very rare".

Check out this beauty!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:53 am

OMG! That's frikkin hilarious! To many great lines to quote!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:27 pm

Grady, I agree with everything you said in your "rant." (which I put in quotes cause I didn't think it was a rant) But I don't think the attitudes you're complaining about are exclusive to blues music at all.
And Behringer stuff is great, isn't it? I've got the UB802 mixer and a couple of their C2 mics.. I love the stuff. And you can't argue with the price either..
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:28 pm

I agree with the V-Amp review. They sound like hell through an amp though. I wouldn't use those units for anything but headphone play and recording. You cannot beat them in that area.
bignick
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:05 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:
NEONMOONY wrote:The most overused words on ebay "vintage" and "very rare".

Check out this beauty!

Brilliant, I'll have two!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Cleans yer innards!!

Postby 601blues » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:57 am

:D Being brought to my senses by The Purist Be Damned thread, I did somphin I haven't done in several years,and as a matter of fact I was considering selling it! My JCM900 full stack with 1960a&b cabs, after the new wave of vintage amps and 15 watter"s and such everybody wanted you to feel guilty haveing a monster Marshall, Yes it is a hell of a lot of amp, so I fired he up saturday afternoon!!! ta hell with tone!!give me POWER!! I had her switched to the 100watt mode and let it rip, man It felt good to Have power cords penatrating your body its like the sound it going thru you!!man it Loosened up my whole body YEAH!!I should start a body spa and Just Blast people with Marshall Power!! Its Definatly the Hummer of amps!!
But really I can switch it too Half power 50 watts, and its right there with my Classic 50, and I do love the tone and response of the Marshall at 50 watts and lower volume, I guess we all get caught up at times with tryin to stay with what everybody else is playin , but I do love that Marshall sound and just fer the hell of it Iam packin her for the Gig this Saturday night The 24th!!Iam gonna use both cabs up on stage and only connect to 1 at 50 watt,but just ta have a full stack Marshall standing there is exciting for sho!! the owner will freak out when I set it up!! he AQlways complains about our volumn!!! HEHE!!And I will have my little Delta Blues tucked away right next ta her!!!
601blues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues