"Purists be Damned"

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm

TC90 wrote:I am not a purist for purist sake, it just forces me to become a better player because nothing is masked, and my music budget is $0, so I can't afford to buy any toys. :D When I get more comfortable with my ability, bring on the toys!
Keep on Bluesin'! 8)

And me!

But keep going, Grady.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Purism be danged!

Postby teiscomaniac » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:30 pm

I recently picked up a used Alesis Quadraverb GT, and I've been having a hoot finding strange tones in it. It was a whopping $50; I figured I couldn't go wrong for that price.

I've tried other digital effects, including a DigiTech RP100 and a Korg AX1500 (I think that's right) and ended up being disappointed in them. But I keep looking at toys!

Since the purchase of the Quadraverb, I've been putting together the World's Cheapest Rack System. So far, I have a B.K. Butler Tube Driver (nice sounding toy: 12AX7 in it), the Quadraverb, and a BBE Model 462 Sonic Maximizer. I've been running some of my old Teiscos through this mini-rack into my new/old Alamo Model 2525 and just having a hoot.

I bought a drum machine last fall, and I need to get it out again. It's sort of fun just playing over the various pre-set rhythms: working out stuff that will fit with things that I wouldn't normally play.

I'm 49. I've been playing quite a while, but I figured out that I'll never be good enough to gig. I'm just amusinig myself!
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:41 pm

I have a jammin' buddy I've played with off & on since we were 15 years old (over 40 years ago!); He's always been a marginally gifted pianist and guitar player,with way more knowledge than ability and chops,but we've done many gigs together,and he's gotten by jus' fine, partly due to having a great singing voice. We first started playin' the blues with him playin' a cheap Mexican gut string guitar and me playin' acoustic harp....very basic country blues,inspired by Rev. Gary Davis,Doc Watson, Koerner-Ray and Glover,Sonny Terry,etc. BUT,I WILL HAVE TO SAY THAT WHEN HE WENT ELECTRIC AND DISCOVERED EFFECTS,THERE WHERE MANY TIMES THAT FATTENING UP HIS SOUND WITH DISCRETE USE OF EFFECTS MADE HIS PLAYING AND OUR SOUND TOGETHER A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING,AND IN MANY CASES MORE BEAUTIFUL. For example,some times there's just no replacement for WAH,or Fuzz; you jus' gotta have it on some tunes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

The Ethics of Aesthetics

Postby teiscomaniac » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:28 am

Right and wrong: those are terms that apply to the sphere of morality, of ethics.

Beautiful, ugly: those are terms that apply to the sphere of aesthetics.

I tend to be a relativist. But when it comes to issues of ethics or morality, I think that it's clear that there are some things that are wrong: e.g., child abuse.

But music? Maybe it would be wrong to sing about wanting to boink a kid. (But see Elmore James's "Twelve Year Old Boy"--about a boy boinking the singer's woman, of course.) But it isn't "wrong" to use effects, or to play through a solid-state amp, or to play through a PRS rather than a Gibson--or an ESP rather than a Fender. (And, by the way, I'm jonesing for an ESP Viper LTD 400 with EMG active pickups . . .)

Good, bad; better, worse. Let's try this: "I find this tone/sound/song/phrase/lick more beautiful than that one . . ."

Let the world of ethics have its sphere. Let the world of aesthetics have its sphere. Let us not confuse ethics with aesthetics; the beautiful with the right.

(If anyone wants to talk about Keats, just let me know . . .)
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:45 am

Hey, I bought the cheapest of the cheap Digitech multi-effects a few months ago and had a ball of the time using the built in delay and drum machine to create some kind of crazy hip-hop blues. If I could only rap without sounding like I come form a small country town in Victoria I could make my fortune.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:28 am

"G'day ma homies listen wud I say,
I be J-Ro Baker and I'm her to stay" WORD!
Hell mate, it might work! :D
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:39 am

boogiechillun85 wrote:I want you to do all of this stuff you're talking about, then record it and post the results.

Be patient Grasshopper, I just turned the corner on this but, it's coming.
Oh yes, it's coming.
I just got a truckload of new toys (the last of which just arrived today via UPS) gimme time to learn how to program and use these things.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:43 am

Lookin fwd to it Grady!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am

Grady, do what you feel you need to do to make yourself happy and don't worry if anyone else is going to be (un)happy with it.

THAT is THEIR problem, you don't have one, you're happy, remember 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Shame I didn't know you wanted a guitar with a floyd rose trem on it I just traded an late 80's Yamaha in on my Super Reverb. It was a neat piece but just didn't fit my bill anymore.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Lol.. I didn't mean right then and there..
Just getting my opinion in bright and early is all.. take your time.. :D
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Thats why I like my Roland Micro-Cube and love the Line 6 Spider II. My Dad has the latter and I could play that thing for hours and not even realize how much time has passed. He also has an Ibanez RG Flame top with a Floyd. I LOVE that guitar.

It sounds like you are kind of depressed for being confined in a genre. You are an amazing blues guitarist and have been for awhile. You've established yourself as that, but that doesn't mean you stop there. Experimenting is a trip. Be Grady Musick the music man, not Grady Musick the blues guitarist. I think it would be cool to see a performer that changes musical colors like a chameleon. You would never know what each show would bring. A friend of mine from a local store usually plays blues rock and the other day decided that his band would cover Radiohead's OK Computer for New Years. It went over HUGE. They learned the whole album, and it was a trip for my friend to do something completely different.

Crank it up, whatever it is, and rip off the knob!
bignick
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement guys.

and yes, you're right. I am kinda depressed about being confined in one genre. Lately, I keep getting Emails & Phone calls from a couple different Blues Societies, some Club Owners etc. referring to me as a "Bluesman" and I really just want to be known as a "Musician".

You run into so much Bullcrap about "what is Blues and what isn't Blues"
It seems to me that with the exception of you guys here at BRB, there are
so many people who are so quick to judge on what is or isn't Blues and the whole thing of judging others based on what type of gear they have or how they look,etc.
and then, you go to some of those Blues "Purists" Websites and listen to their music and it's just dreadful.
90% of it is the same old re-hashed Bullshit that you've heard a million times from a million different people.

If you've heard one Electric Blues band, you've heard the other 75% of Blues Bands in this Country.

Another thing, who cares what you wear to a gig ??
That whole thing seems ridiculous to me.
Of course, you wanna look good, smell nice, etc.
But, the whole thing of dressing a certain way to play the Blues it just so freakin' ridiculous IMO.

Then, there's the ridiculous prices on vintage gear.
Especially Guitars.
I've always been very impressed with vintage Amps.
I love 'em.

However, vintage Guitars are something I've never been that impressed with. The only Vintage Guitars I've preferred over new ones are the ones who are made by Manufacturers that are turning out inferior guitars today compared to their Vintage ones.
Gibson immediately comes to mind however, you can have those old Fender guitars, those things are junk.

Gimme a new Jackson,Ibanez, or Epi any day or a G&L Legacy Strat.

for example, I picked up that old Gibson 1942 L-00 for about $174.00
did a little work to it and traded it even for a brand new Martin JC-16WE Premium.
The Martin is a 1000 times better guitar than that old Gibson Acoustic.

However, the Gibson is valued higher.
That's just ridiculous IMO.

My Behringer V-Amp 2 came yesterday so, when I got home from my gig last night, I recorded a riff with it and the tone from that thing was more realistic than anything I've heard from a pedal.
Heck, it sounds like a great tube amp.

In fact, I would say that you get a much more realistic "Tube" tone on a recording from that thing than you would if you stuck a Mic in front of one of my nice Tube amps.

Modern Technology is really something else. Quite impressive.

To heck with Genres, Labels, pigeon-holing,etc.

I just wanna play and have fun.

I apologize for the rant but, sometimes you just gotta get it off your chest.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:57 pm

I too want to be considered a "Musician" and not pigeon holed! In the last week I have played everything from Beatles, JLH, Neil Young, Johnny Cash and Jimi as well as a ton of my own stuff which varies from old school rock to Spanish sounding ballads about cowboys and horses (think "Caballo Diablo" by Charlie Daniels) then back around to stuff sounding like BB and a bunch of single chord blues type stuff!
I wanna be eclectic in my abilities and my hats off to those that can mix it up! My eldest son is famous for goin from some kinda death metal speed riff to Piano Man by Billy Joel in a medley! Purdy cool in my book!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:07 pm

I agree with you guys: there's alotta great music out there. I confess that my first love is the blues (not in the least due to the fact I play harp),but I really enjoy the opportunity to play most other genres of popular music. Last nite at the jam, everybody was comin' with blues tunes to set me up,but when it was all over I thought that the "tune of the night" was a straight cover of the Talking Heads "And She Was". I jus' sang harmony on the chorus on that one...no harp. When one of the guitarists pulled that tune out and got the groove jus' right on it (and I'd damn near forgot about that tune), I thought "Wow,that was a helluva tune."
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues