"Purists be Damned"

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

"Purists be Damned"

Postby grady » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:16 am

The Gibson vs Epiphone thread gave me the initiative to post this.

Now, before I get started, I want to make it absolutely clear that I do not begrudge anyone for what they prefer or what they own.
To each his own.
Different things work for different people.

After spending the last 6 years or so playing everything from a original '54 Tele to a excellent copy of SRV's #1 Strat thru everything from a original '59 Bassman to a Marshall Studio 15 a National Resophonic Delphi....using expensive Analog effects,,,,,,,,I've decided that I want to get back to using the stuff I use to use in my younger days.

I've gone back to using 10's on my Electrics,, I've a Multi-Effects Processor,, I now own a Drum Machine.

I want to have fun.
I want to make Music my way with no regard for "what is and what isn't Blues"

I hang out & listen to these Cats with all this Vintage gear and they aren't any better musically than anyone else.
They just own a bunch of expensive toys.

I want a Zillion tones at my Fingertips.
If I want my Guitar to sound like Laser-powered Chainsaw,, I'm gonna do it.
If I wanna rip off a Two-Handed Tapping lick all the way up the Fretboard,,by God,, I'm gonna do it.
If I want to play a set consisting of SRV, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Robert Johnson, Rolling Stones, I'm gonna do it.

I have a urge to buy a Guitar with a Floyd Rose on it.

I think I just hit my Mid-Life Crisis.

I want Music to be fun again.

P.S.- Notice I didn't say a word about my Martin JC-16WE Premium and Taylor 612 CE
They'll be with me til the day I die.
grady
Regular

Re: "Purists be Damned"

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:20 am

grady wrote:I think I just hit my Mid-Life Crisis.

Well, sounds like a good one. It's your life with your own instruments, so do as you please. Play whatever you damn well please! Thats what everyone should do!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:33 am

Geezzzz G-man, a PURIST is the last thing I've ever thought of you bro! Yer the man who turned me on to ES. I listened to Hillbilly Blues a million times. I've always admired yer style and flexibility musically and dig the fact that you've played so many styles. Same reason I like Zak, yer both diverse but passionate in each style and that's how I wanna play music!
Thanx for the influence!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 am

Right on couldn't been said any better.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Unt ven did you first have zis feeling dat you veren't having fun Grady? Sometimes ze guitar is just a guitar.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Put on your gold chains, unbutton your shirt to the xyphoid and enjoy your midlife crisis, Grady! :lol:

I'm with you, let the purists like it or leave it alone.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Bo Diddley used a digital effects pedal when I saw him.

How'd that ad go? "Bo knows."
rustyslide
Site Admin

Re: "Purists be Damned"

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 pm

grady wrote:The Gibson vs Epiphone thread gave me the initiative to post this.

Now, before I get started, I want to make it absolutely clear that I do not begrudge anyone for what they prefer or what they own.
To each his own.
Different things work for different people.

After spending the last 6 years or so playing everything from a original '54 Tele to a excellent copy of SRV's #1 Strat thru everything from a original '59 Bassman to a Marshall Studio 15 a National Resophonic Delphi....using expensive Analog effects,,,,,,,,I've decided that I want to get back to using the stuff I use to use in my younger days.

I've gone back to using 10's on my Electrics,, I've a Multi-Effects Processor,, I now own a Drum Machine.

I want to have fun.
I want to make Music my way with no regard for "what is and what isn't Blues"

I hang out & listen to these Cats with all this Vintage gear and they aren't any better musically than anyone else.
They just own a bunch of expensive toys.

I want a Zillion tones at my Fingertips.
If I want my Guitar to sound like Laser-powered Chainsaw,, I'm gonna do it.
If I wanna rip off a Two-Handed Tapping lick all the way up the Fretboard,,by God,, I'm gonna do it.
If I want to play a set consisting of SRV, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Robert Johnson, Rolling Stones, I'm gonna do it.

I have a urge to buy a Guitar with a Floyd Rose on it.

I think I just hit my Mid-Life Crisis.

I want Music to be fun again.

P.S.- Notice I didn't say a word about my Martin JC-16WE Premium and Taylor 612 CE
They'll be with me til the day I die.
Dats Da way I do it Grady!! I GOTTA BE ME!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:32 pm

:shock: I always think of this story!!!!
An Old farmer and his wife, was approched by a stranger,and said ,that sure is a nice looking Jackass you have in you pasture, Thanks said the Old Farmer!! Whatcha do with him??asked the stranger. Nuttin !..said the old man ...What !!Nuttin and you have ta feed him and take care of that Jackass!!If he ain't good fer nuttin why don't you get rid of him!!?? Your Right I never thought of that !!I will take him inta town and sell him TODAY!! So the Old man and old woman went walkin down the road leadin that Jackass, when they passed some people ,they said look at that old man,and old woman walkin they should ride that Jackass, so the old man jumped up on the Jackass, they passed some more people !!They said ..Look at that old man ridin that Jackass makin that old woman walk!!So the old man got off and put the old lady upon the Jackass, They passed some more people !!They said look at that woman on that Jaskass and makin that poor old man walk!!!So the old man tried ta climb up with the old lady, and the poor Jackass bucked em both off and ran out in frount of a truck and got smashed!! Now That proves if you listen to everything people Say!! you will loose your A$$!!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:04 pm

I know you don't need my endorsement Grady, but I vote that the way you're doin' it is the best way; I do think it's important to note that you've already done it the other ways, which does make a difference. You've put your payment down on the straight blues side, and the commercial rock side already, so you got a license to do any damn thing ya' want. You're in a great position to use your background for experimentation and comin' up with some stuff that should be interesting and entertaining. Isn't that the business yer in.....?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Heck, yeah! You can even do Ultimate Spinach covers, if you like.
ricochet
Regular

Postby TC90 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Sounds like you're in for some good times grady! I once played through a friend's amplifier (line 6, i think) that had a couple hundred different sounds in it. I was really impressed and could have played with that thing for a very long time.

I am not a purist for purist sake, it just forces me to become a better player because nothing is masked, and my music budget is $0, so I can't afford to buy any toys. :D When I get more comfortable with my ability, bring on the toys!

Keep on Bluesin'! 8)
TC90
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:08 am

ricochet wrote:Heck, yeah! You can even do Ultimate Spinach covers, if you like.

In order to do that, I would have to own a cheesy Casio Keyboard and have serious delusions of Grandeur.
Uh, not really my style. :D
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:15 am

LOL! :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm

I want you to do all of this stuff you're talking about, then record it and post the results.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues