Need Advice: Gibson or Epiphone?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:14 am

:shock: Sounds as if someone been eatin magic mushrooms,
601blues
Regular

Postby herb_ransburg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone to say THANKS. Duty (the job) called me out for several days of money earning ventures!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. I have decided to keep playing as many as I can to get one that 'talks' to me. I have been in KC, Denver, Atlanta, and Dallas since posting the original inquiry, and have ran across some total babes and some major dogs. The great ones have been in both camps, but the Gibsons are much much pricer. Many of the Epis and Gibsons were used, but most were new.

Sorry to say that I have been hitting up the TGC and the Ash stores searching. I would love to get to some of the pawn shops, but time did not permit the roaming around type of shopping. The journey is great! Let's hope the final destination is just as rewarding!

Herb
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:53 am

:shock: Herb, I have found pawn shops are a waste of time for a high end axe, most of the time when you find one ,The have it way over price, Ihave seen them askin more that a new axe would cost because they think all gibsons are collectors!! And Be cautious, They have a line of conterfiet Gibsons out the I have ran accross 2 in pawn shops and the pawn shops thought I was BS'in em when I told them They were not gibsons!!
601blues
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:10 am

If you are going to buy new, visit the Les Paul forum. There are serveral dealers that advertise on that site that specialize in Les Pauls. Their prices are much better than those you see at Guitar Center. They know Les Pauls and by all reports get the good ones.
straightblues
Regular

Postby TheDude » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:37 pm

There are 2 music stores where I live and both of 'em stopped carrying Gibson years ago.

I like Epiphone. They've really upped their game the last couple of years. 10 years ago perhaps Korean guitars were questionnable, but not in 2007! Another really good LP copy for about the price of an Epi is Swing Guitars. The model is called Classic II and it's a real looker! 6/10inch maple cap, set neck, grover tuners, decent hardware.

Gibson make really nice guitars, but my principle is there's no good enough reason to spend more than 1,000$ on a guitar. I believe anything over that price and you're paying for air and/or bullcrap you don't really need.

I'm in Europe and the cheapest LP Standard is about 2,400$. For that same price I can get two upgraded Epis (each with hardshell case) and a nice tube amp.
TheDude
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:28 pm

Man! let me say this I recently toured the Peavey Plant in merdian Miss. and the Artist Relations people were showin me the FJ1 series kinda along the 335 style I played this guitar and I was so blown away by it I bought a sunburst,one 299.00 and it is an awe some playin and soundin and great lookin as well Check them out can't go wrong!!
601blues
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:54 pm

I must say I have been a Fender snob. I have never owned anything except Strats. I just bought(EBay) a 2006 limited edition (custom Shop) ES 135 by Epiphone. Beautiful Blueburst with Grovers and PAF 57's. Very nice!!!! AT GC the other day I played a Gibson ES 335 reissue that was stunning in every respect. Would have bought, but $2600 can make you stall. I payed $600 for my Epiphone. The epiphone Elitist line is suppose to be tremendous buy.
MOJOE
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm

MOJOE wrote:Would have bought, but $2600 can make you stall.

Stall? That'd make me choke, splutter and turn several different colors.
ricochet
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:11 pm

:lol:
MOJOE
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:17 pm

601blues wrote::shock: Herb, I have found pawn shops are a waste of time for a high end axe, most of the time when you find one ,The have it way over price, Ihave seen them askin more that a new axe would cost because they think all gibsons are collectors!! And Be cautious, They have a line of conterfiet Gibsons out the I have ran accross 2 in pawn shops and the pawn shops thought I was BS'in em when I told them They were not gibsons!!
I agree!! How can you tell a phony?
MOJOE
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:21 pm

MOJOE wrote:
601blues wrote::shock: Herb, I have found pawn shops are a waste of time for a high end axe, most of the time when you find one ,The have it way over price, Ihave seen them askin more that a new axe would cost because they think all gibsons are collectors!! And Be cautious, They have a line of conterfiet Gibsons out the I have ran accross 2 in pawn shops and the pawn shops thought I was BS'in em when I told them They were not gibsons!!
I agree!! How can you tell a phony?
Well the phony ones I have seen, Say Gibson on the head stock,looks just like a Gibson!! but 1. Thease were hollow bodies like a 175 single cutaway. But no ID sticker inside the F hole,as you would expect to find or if missing you would see glue residue where it had been,and the Serial Number was on a sticker on the back of the head stock instead of engraved into the wood, I have never seen a phony solid body as yet ,but have heard there out there!!
601blues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 pm

A lot of times, they'll have 3-screw truss rod covers instead of 2, the knobs will be in the wrong place, the headstock won't be shaped right, or the logo won't be right. If you see one and aren't sure about it, just hop over to the Harmony Central forums and ask them there. They're pretty good at spotting fake ones.
guitarslim101
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues