Need Advice: Gibson or Epiphone?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need Advice: Gibson or Epiphone?

Postby herb_ransburg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:37 am

Sorry for such a question to this post, but I need some "real opinions" and not those from the guys selling the gear (know what I mean?).

I have been playing (at the stores) Standards, Studios, and Classics. I played a collection of Gibsons and Epiphones. I think I played too many over the past few days, and now I am totaly confused.

Bottom line, are the $1000-$1700 Gibsons THAT much better than the $500-$1000 Epiphones? I tried to be consistent and play them through a Tweed Fender '59 Bassman or Tweed Blues Junior. Of my five amps, these are the two that I use 98% of the time. Any commentary would be great.

Still learning and taking medication for G.A.S,

Herb
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:02 am

Ok Herb,

I've been playing Guitars for 21 years now, the majority of those years, I've played Professionally.
I've owned Gibson Les Pauls,SG's,Flying V's...both Vintage and New models.
In fact, a 1970 LP Custom was my one of my favorite guitars until the neck started "twisting" on it. NOT "Bowing" which can be corrected with a Truss Rod adjustment, it actually twisted.
I've had other LP Guitars from the 70's and I've played every LP that has come thru my local shops.

I'm currently thinking of purchasing a Epiphone Les Paul Classic that was just traded in at my local store.

I like Epiphone Guitars,, I think they're great.

I do not care for the newer LP models from Gibson.
They don't feel like the older ones did.

While at my local store the other day, the Manager who is a good friend of mine called Gibson about a new Gibson Chet Atkins model that he sold a week ago.
The Customer brought it back for repairs because the nut was cut wrong.
You couldn't play the Guitar without the High E slipping off of the side of the Fretboard.
Now, it was no big deal for Ted to replace the nut.
The reason for him calling was to see what Gibson would say or do.
The people at Gibson told him that it wasn't their problem.
Even though the Guitar was new and sold by a Gibson Dealer and covered under Warranty.

So, I ask you, "What is all that Money that you'll spend on a Gibson for?"

The Warranty obviously isn't worth a damn.

The answer is simple, the name "Gibson" on the headstock.
The people at Gibson feel that you are paying for the privilege of owning a Gibson guitar.

Save yourself a bunch of money and get a great Guitar, Buy the Epiphone.

I would definitely choose Epiphone over Gibson anyday.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:08 am

Well, I prefer Epiphone. I myself have never owned a Gibson, mostly because I'm only 16 and I've been playing for only a year and a half. But, out of all of the Gibsons I've played, the similar Epiphones play better. The only thing I hate about Epis, are the horrible pots on them. They are scratchy and only half-ass work. But that isnt a big deal. If they're set up right, and if the frets have a little work done, they are amazing and better than Gibson IMO.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 am

I own the Epi LP Classic and the Epi Dot and not only do I like em but have been told by professional musicians that they both excellent gits!
My son did a set on the Dot but the LP was perfect to my liking right outta the store!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:53 am

I've had both. I do prefer my 72 Deluxe soundwise to my current Epi Standard Plus but I'm in the process of doing an electronics upgrade and that will cure that problem. After the upgrade I'll still be at a third of the price that I would have paid for a sunburst standard in the Gibson line. Way overpriced in my opinion
stratman_27
Regular

Postby herb_ransburg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks for the commentary. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your impressions of both brands. I am in constant search of my own tone and will try the Epi on for size!

Thanks again,

Herb
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:29 pm

I agree that Gibson's had some quality problems. And they are overpriced IMO. Not to say that they don't have some nice guitars.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:11 pm

herb_ransburg wrote:Thanks for the commentary. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to share your impressions of both brands. I am in constant search of my own tone and will try the Epi on for size!

Thanks again,

Herb
I have a thing about fake anything, I just always think playing a gibson copy or a fender copy looks cheap and I would not do that, Now Epi makes some very nice guitars in there own org line Take the Sheraton for instance I have one and its a great guitar!! perfact action and I do gig with it, and its not a copy of anything!! That I don't mind!! Now as far as epi compared to Gibson Yes I think Gibson is getting really stupid with there prices, But I have played an Epi LP Standard and Had a Gibson Standard right there , Unpluged the Epi PLuged in the Gibson not changing Amp settings, and no doulbt the Gibson Blew it away, But there are plenty of great Guitars Out there a great prices, if I had some extra cash on had I would love to have, an Ibanez,I can;t remember the modle right now but a friend has one and man it sound a plays great!! any way Like I said the only thing I have against epi is if its a gibson copy!
601blues
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 pm

The last bunch of Gibson's I've played felt cheap. I really do like my Gibson, but I can't help but feel that it's a fluke based on the others I've played.

I would check out the Epiphone Elitist models if you want a step up from the standard Epiphone models (which are pretty good already).

Someday I'm going to get a Tokai or Edwards from Japan; I've been so impressed with my Japanese Fender.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby demo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:10 am

my epiphone junior with one pickup is as good as my les paul studio. but i once played someones 1951(or 61 i forget) les paul and NOTHING compared to that...
demo
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:22 am

I've played a few new Gibsons in my time and have always been left with the feeling that they never should have left the factory in the condition they were in. Nothing seriously wrong but at the price you pay there's no excuse for having to fix the nut, frets, truss et. al. before you get a giggable axe.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:16 am

I have a couple of Gibsons that are fantastic axes - an acoustic from the early 40's, an electric from the early 60's. Both have also had a lot done to them over the years.

Newer Gibson's I've played are often kind of dissapointing.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Looks like a beat up on Gibson thread. I think there a good and bad to most guitar brands. Of course, the comments about customer/dealer service would apply to Epiphone also as it is essentially the same company with the instruments manufactured overseas. It is pretty much a given these days that there are lots of great quality import guitars on the market. Some brands you might not of heard of. The pre 1985 Gibsons, and there are still plenty of those out there, were known for inconsistent quality control and they also sold "seconds" with the Gibson name on them.

I have an Epiphone jumbo from the 70's that I've had for years. It is great for Delta slide as the harmonics for a pawn shop guitar are fabulous. Also, pawn shop or NOS GUILDs are usually great bang for the buck guitars.

Are Gibson vs Epiphone the only options/considerations?
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I don't think anybody's beating up on Gibson in this thread. I've seen only reasonably stated observations.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Yeah, I'm reading both pro and con to both Gibson and Epi just like the majority of the converstions on BRB. As always, I feel this is the greatest bunch of guys and gals I've ever encountered on forums through out the internet!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues