Roland JC120 amp, 15 years old.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Roland JC120 amp, 15 years old.

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:34 pm

Found someone selling a JC120 for $350. It's 15 years old, mint condition...don't think it was used much, works perfect. Good deal? The guy would also take my Cube60 in trade...any comments suggestions? I noticed the new ones are about $900 new...I really don't know much about them, old or new. Thanks for you'alls insight! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:07 pm

I like those amps.

$350 sounds like a good deal.
grady
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks Grady! I'm probably going to go for it. I've been playing 100% electric banjo, using the JC amp model (clean) on my Cube60...well, my 6 string playing is finally catching up, and last weekend I got me a spankin new sunburst American Tele :D :D :D and I used it at practice Thursday...and the guys said the Tele is "in"...so now I gotta change between my banjo and tele for different songs...and if you knew our lead guitar/singer...you know he's there to play and not fuss around with settings and pluging and unplugging and stuff like that. Well, last night I tried working it out with the Cube, and it just aint happening with a one channel amp and such far apart instruments and amp settings. I'm really not into techno stuff, and boxes and eq's and all that...just a plug the chord in, crank a knob or two and play pretty much clean and simple kind of guy. I told him today I really needed an amp with independant channels, so I could have them both set up and ready. He though about it and said he had talked to a guy several weeks earlier trying to sell him the JC, but he passed on it. He made a call, the guy still has it, and wanted a smaller more portable amp with more options and effects. When he found out I had the cube 60, he offered a straight across trade. I'm going to pick up the amp on Monday, and probably use it next weekend, and if it works out I'll make the trade.
1four5
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 am

Dunno nuttin bout amps Dean but it sure sounds like yer growin in leaps and bounds musically! "You've come far Pilgrim"!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:14 am

Thanks Mickey 8)! I gotta admit I aint never had good times like I'm having now...and getting the Telecaster has been the highest point so far. The banjo sure is fun, and something thats kinda come natural...but it's not really my dream or anything. I poured the twang to the tele on some of our bluesy country stuff and Tom got this big ole smile and I could hear the extra coals he was pouring to his leads and vocals...it made my day when he said it was time I play some 6 string and to get some leads together :shock: 8) 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 am

I had a Roland JC80, (same amp as JC120, but with 1 speaker and only 80w).
It was one of my first ever amps, back in about 1976.
Very well made, great clean sound, but, they are really best as keyboard amps.
The JC120 has a fantastic chorus effect.
Also, they are certainly loud enough. I remember shattering mums glass lamp shade with mine.
The quality of those old Rolands is second to none, so if you like the sound, go for it.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:50 am

just don't EVER give in to the urge to use the "overdrive" on it, you'll be running and screaming for ages... I never figured out why, if they wanted to add overdrive to the amp, they didn't just put in the circuitry of their Boss SD-1 pedal - put one of those in front and it sounds just sweet...
jaybee
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:03 am

Thanks again you guys...man I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It's good to know the quality was there...I know I've owned two smaller modern Rolands, and they are both fantastic! 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Man...I almost had some blues over this. I'm gonna pick up the JC120...well, turns out the guys wife has a new keyboard... and now he might want to keep the JC for his wife's keyboard, and he him-hawed around and wasn't sure, and I'm like dude the cash or a trade or what?, and then he wanted to trade for the cube for a few weeks but only if he could renig if he didn't like it...yadda yadda...I said to hell with that, man what a wishywashy dude... and I aint messing with him...

Damn...knowing a new JC is about a grand, I went amp shopping anyways today. Ended up at Guitar Center...they didn't have one. I ask the guy when they gonna get some more...he says he didn't know, because they just closed them out for half price :shock: :shock: :shock: , cause there is some new upgraded model coming out or something (which there was no enlightenment on). Anyways I says man...I want one for half price!!! So he makes some calls and they got a few left at some warehouse...at $499...so, I payed him cash and a spankin new one is going to be drop-shipped to my front porch...hopefully in time for the weekend 8) :D 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:38 pm

I guess I'd consider that price to be a better deal than the used one, considering you got a warranty and an amp with 15 less years on it. Way to pull the trigger,Onefer!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Yeah, you did all right. I wouldn't want to deal with that guy who couldn't make up his mind.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 am

My gosh what an amp :shock: 8) Unlike some of you'all, I don't have a lot of electric experience...but I'm learning real quick how nice a little ultra clean headroom is. I should also build some impressive muscles hauling this baby around 8) I'm lovin it and should not want for more for a long time...right? :wink:
1four5
Regular

Postby straightblues » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Glad you like the amp. Those are really good amps for what they do. Clean baby clean!
straightblues
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues