Fun With Old Friends

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Fun With Old Friends

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:05 pm

Last night I plugged my Agile AS-820 into my old Pignose G40V that hasn't been turned on in a long while. Dang! I don't remember it ever sounding THAT good!

After a while of playing, doing a lot of fretting in Open D and experiencing the two (minor) downsides of my lovely red crystal Diamond slide (tying up one finger from fretting, and its slick interior that can let it slide off when I'm concentrating on fretting with the other fingers), I remembered my JetSlide. Man, that thing's the cat's meow for mixing in a bit of slide with a lot of fretting, and not just in standard tuning, either! I got discouraged with it when I was using those goshawful heavy strings on the reso, but on .012-.052" strings tuned to Open D it's great.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 pm

Amazing sometimes how an old guitar you haven't played in awhile can give you a new sound or new perspective. Always refreshing
stratman_27
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:38 am

Kinda like buying something new, only a lot cheaper!

What was "new" to me as a result of long disuse wasn't really the guitar, but the amp and the JetSlide. It all makes for a nice combination, anyway!
ricochet
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:01 pm

I have one of those Jet Slides...great for playing slide lines and instantly switching to fretting. I never could do it as well as the guy in their video tho :?
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:47 am

I gotta have a bottle. Those things look foreign to me. I only fret with my first 3 fingers anyway. The pinky was always just for hard to reach intervals...don't need that in Open E.
bignick
Regular

Postby slickcat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 pm

I think the Jet Slide was designed for electric players who mainly played in standard tuning. It doesnt sustain very well on acoustic or resonators.
I'll take my Diamond over it anyday 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 pm

Did I in any way compare the JetSlide and the Diamond?

NO! They're two different things.

I love my Diamond slide. The JetSlide, however, works for something that the Diamond is absolutely incapable of. And it's not lacking in tone or sustain as long as you use light strings. It sucks with heavy strings, as I've previously said.

I just tried out something that I'd given up on and left in a drawer for a long time, the JetSlide, and found that I can put it to good use. Sometimes it's fun to try something different.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues