Need Help w/ effects chain

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Need Help w/ effects chain

Postby houserocker » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi everyone, I have never really used many effects when playing other than a wah wah pedal, but I recently bought a pedal board for effects thru Nick here on the board so I figured I better get something to put on it. I bought one of the Arion Tubulaters (has not yet arrived) and also I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker distortion pedal, A Crybaby Wah Wah, an old phase shifter I found and a tuner. My question is what order do I put them in so they sound right? I've never used this many pedals and it is kind of an experiment to see if there worth the effort to use them. I'm excited about trying some new sounds! Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:39 pm

NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby houserocker » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:37 am

Thanks for the great links! Sure did help.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:31 am

Hey Charlie, ain't it interesting how you can get to this point in life and not know things like how to hook up fx boxes....? I mean, you're a guy with a daisy chain of gigs,at least one great CD that I've heard,etc., and yer startin' to mess around with boxes. I've played harp for almost 40 years, and I never used a delay until about 3 years ago. This is a good cheap education here,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JLynn » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:42 am

Yep those are some good links. My preference is generally wah first, then boosts and OD's, onto modulations & filters with Delay/reverb last.

Best Advice I can give though is to try several possible routing options first before you commit to custom cables. I had both of my boards how I thought I wanted them but ended up moving stuff around more than once. Something else I'd advise is to think about what you'll use the most and layout your board where it's easiest to access those the most. They don't have to be on the board in your routing order. That's what I did. It gets the cables running in some wierd areas, back and forthing and so on but if you do custom lengths and use some cable ties it will still look pretty nice. That's how the bottom board in the pic below is laid out. The board on top is still in flux so I'm just using some set length cables until I fall in love with the layout.

Have fun! Pedals are a gas once you get the feel for them.

JLynn
Regular

Postby houserocker » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:14 pm

Yeah Jeff your right, I've really never used much except for a Wah Wah pedal always used the amp for distortion. I always told those guys with the effects boards they looked like they were stomping roaches, so I guess I'm gonna go and stomp a few myself LOL. Sounds like maybe a new song Stomping Roaches! :D

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Charlie that board is in the mail. You will get it next week some time.

As for your chain:

It is usually-

Amp - Delay or Reverb - Overdrive - Phaser/Vibes - Wah - Guitar
bignick
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Yeah my best advice is follow the basic guidelines of putting wah in chain first then overdrive(s), then modulation effects, also experiment with where your wah goes in if you use any kind of fuzz. Fuzzes have a tendency to mess with your wah. Read up on it on Analogmans site.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues