Dan Torres amp

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Dan Torres amp

Postby jaybee » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:24 pm

I know of a Dan Torres 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and would like to get some feedback on these amps. Anyone here have (had) one, and is there ANY reason at all NOT to bid on it? and how much would be a reasonable price?
jaybee
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:49 pm

I wouldn't bid too close to what you can get Torres to build you another one for; that's all. So,mebbe you should e-mail those guys and see what they want for a new one, unless they got the prices listed on their site. The alternative of course is getting a real vintage Fender, which should have a better chance of returning its cost to you if you try to sell it, and might even appreciate with time,but it won't come with a warranty.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:21 am

Jaybee, I don't have the Torres but I do have a Clark Beaufort which is a 5E3 Tweed. I have heard good stuff about Torres but do not know personally anyone who owns or has played one. The thing is, cats that have these amps, 99% of the time just love them and would rather sell their children to the government for scientific experiments before selling the amp. I would question why the buyer is selling. What tubes are in it? has it been ridden hard? If it were me, and I wanted one, I would look at other 5E3's as well. Weber makes a kit as well. Look here first....
http://www.clarkamplification.com
texas blues
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:10 am

I gave the amp a quick run in the shop where he was selling it, which told me I definitely wanted to hear more... so I took it to that evenings rehearsal and put it through it's paces all evening (it helps if the store owner is a friend, you get to try out stuff thoroughly before parting with your money) and am now the proud owner of a Dan Torres amp...

it's in "brand new" condition, looks like it's never left the living room at all, so I doubt it's been abused, I more or less know the seller, he's not a heavy gigger, but always buys top end stuff. I got it for slightly less than half of what he paid for it 3 years ago, not counting shipping and taxes.

as to the reason he's selling - didn't get a 'straight' answer to that one, but I suspect financial reasons, as he is selling 3 or 4 high(er) end amps at the moment

other 5E3's around here? wouldn't hold my breath until I run into one :? haven't seen more than 2 in the last 5 years! and a kit... let's just say I do NOT want to be responsible for a general power failure in the Benelux, so... :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:56 pm

I figured we'd soon be hearing you had that amp. Congratulations! :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:13 pm

Cool. The 5E3 is one of my favorite amps.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby songdog » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 pm

I like the 5E3 amps I've heard too. In fact I'm scrounging up the pieces to build one from scratch. I've already got the cabinet, chassis and transformers. Looking for a good 12 inch driver and slowly gathering all of the electronic parts.

You guys got any favs for 12 inchers? I'm pretty sure the original Tweeds used the Jensens but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll be playing a Strat thru the amp and possibly harp.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:20 pm

gigged it yesterday - QUIET gig, as in "volume on 3 and just put a mic in front to give some 'spread' to the sound"... it sounded great, reacted fine to my SD-1 when I needed more overdrive than the amp delivered itself.. nice warm sound, and that's with my Strat, wonder what it's going to sound like with my G&L - raunchy?
jaybee
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues