Rogue Single Cutaway Reso-no volume

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Rogue Single Cutaway Reso-no volume

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 pm

I have stolen my old mans Rogue wood body round neck resonator. It's been in it's bag for at least a year now. So I pulled the strings and cover, cleaned all the dust bunnies out and cleaned and oiled it all. Natual finish, mahogany I think.
Put on new strings and tuned it up. Sounds good with the slide in open G, but it has a lipstick pickup with tone and volume. There is almost no sound from the electrics. If I mute the strings quickly I can hear the amp over my shoulder as it dies out.
Any thoughts? I wouldn't hesitate to swap out everything for new but could it be just the tone cap? Mabye a bad solder joint.
I'm pretty sure that he picked this up at MF clearance center, maybe that's why it was there.

It looks like this Fender without the Fender f holes and its natural finish not sunburst.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=511561
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:49 pm

I'm sure Rico will have a better answer but I'd sure think it's a loose connection somewhere!
I'm REALLY stoked that yer gettin into all this Bandit! I often think about how much my life would change if I lost my arm and the scariest would be inability to do my job but the heart breakin part would be whether or not I could play guitar! You are a true inspiration my friend!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:04 pm

Yep, a connection's broken somewhere. First thing I'd check is the jack. If that's not it, you've just got to work back through the circuit and check all the connections. It's unlikely to be a shorted tone capacitor. A bad solder joint is a good possibility.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 pm

I hate to ask a stupid obvious question,but have you checked the amp? Have you plugged another guitar into it, jus' to make sure the problem's in the guitar. And,you can screw the jack covers off the cord to make sure the cord's connections are good,or try it with another guitar. I guess I'm jus' checkin' to make sure you've isolated the problem to the guitar's electronics.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:07 pm

Oh yeah, and try another cable. Those things go out all the time.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:06 am

The amp works fine with the '51, the accustic and all of my mics. Same with the cable.
This is something I noticed before I brought it home and I'm guessing it was a returned item due to the low signal.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:45 pm

:shock: Let me ask another stupid question, my wife sez Iam a master at those!!! Is you pickup active??when my batteries,are gone ,my national will act the same way, the sound falls off instantly?? checked for battery cover anywhere???
601blues
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:44 pm

I believe this has the passive style pickup. No batteries anywhere. It has always had a low signal. We AB'd it with a Dean that was identical and the electronics were just weak in comparison. It is putting out enough signal for my pedal tuner to read, just not enough to get anything out of the amp.
I think I'll open it up and replace the pots and jack and the wiring. If that doesn't help I'll look at a new pickup for it.
remember 601 there are no stupid questions. Unless you ask me, "are you going to eat that?"
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:28 pm

It is a Rogue RR-350EL. Accoustic electric. I found a half a dozen reviews on Harmony Central and there were some complaints about little or no sound from the pickup. I took the nut extention off and raised the pickup height and got just a fraction more sound from the amp. I think if I want to use the electrics for anything but tuning I will just replace it all (pickup, pots, cap and jack) it's probably all suspect. It was made in Korea though.

I spent most of the day yesterday playing melodies on it. Just using the steel to tap out notes. Damn this is alot of fun.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues