Guitar Multi-Effects Processors

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Guitar Multi-Effects Processors

Postby grady » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 am

I'm looking for something to plug my Electric Guitars into my Computer with for late-night fooling around & recording while the Wife is asleep.

I have a Zoom 505 II and would like something a little nicer than that.

I'm thinking about the Behringer V-Amp.
for $99.00 it looks like a bargain.

Here's other models available,,

Line 6 Guitar Port (kinda worry about Latency issues with that thing)
M-Audio Black Box

and those Digitech RP- "thingys"

for those of you wondering about what I've been doing well,
I'm still playing 2-4 gigs a week, every week.
I bought a Drum Machine that I'm having a blast with.
a truckload of Computer recording software (Cakewalk Sonar 4 & 6 Producer Edition. Sony Acid 6.0 & Vegas 7.0 and all the Plug-ins a man could want)

I'm having a blast with this stuff.

My next CD that I'm working on right now will be much more than just a man & his Acoustic guitar.
I'm looking to go as far as I can with it.

Anyway, if any of you guys have tried any of these little Modelling do-hickeys, let me know what you think about them.

Thanks,
grady
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:39 am

Grady, if decide on Behringer, go for the V-amp pro.Just a few more bucks,but built stronger ,and offers more in/out patching options. Great for re-amping! All these gadgets do their job (not waking the wife) and sound pretty cool, but the thing they do best is, remind you how good tube amps are! I like my V-amp pro, but my only gripe is that the tone does not change when you adjust the volume pot on the guitar.Same tone, just less loud.
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 pm

.I just realized , the tone /volume pot thing is not true. It was only on my settings , and not the factory presets :oops: I have not really used the factory settings, but recently i replaced the internal battery , and am back to all factory pre sets. They got a bunch of good ones on there already,for any style of playing.Some cases ,too much effect on preset, then a simple tweak, and all is good.
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:07 pm

I've heard some good things about the Digitech GNX3 and GNX4, which both have 8-track recorders built right in. They have a lot of different amp models, effects, and other goodies. Plus, you can select two different amp models and "warp" them together using the treadle. And you can hook them up to your computer for editing and the like.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby mrmega » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:03 pm

The GNX2 has almost every amp model the gnx3 and 4 have, has a ton of effects and I use it all the time for direct recording when I dont need to screw with micing up my tube stacks or combos.

As long as you aren't dealing with super high gain, the GNX's are awesome.

It has SPDIF out too.

(I edited this because of a typo ;) )
Last edited by mrmega on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmega
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:23 am

Thanks Guys !

Looks like the V-Amp is gonna be the one I get.
grady
Regular

Postby JLynn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:54 am

Grady,
I'm biased sure but I have to say that I truly believe the GuitarPort would be your best bet. If you have any questions you can email or PM me directly about it. BTW, I'll add you on myspace tonight as well so you can find me there too....
cheers,
-jason
JLynn
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:02 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Guitar Port hooks up to the Computer thru a USB port. I worry about Latency issues with anything that uses a USB connection.
grady
Regular

Postby JLynn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:41 pm

My experience with it has been fine. I'm not good at the tech speak but as I understand it all of the monitoring of your sound is done post recording so you don't get that huge lag.

If you get it the Musician's Friend route you'd have the 30 day return policy as your insurance if the latency was indeed an issue. Someone else on here recently posted a favorable report with clips of their TonePort UX2 perhaps they'll chime in. The hardware is different but the function/performance between it and GuitarPort are identical.
JLynn
Regular

Postby slickcat » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Grady I have a toneport UX-1 yes its usb however latency issues are usually related more to inferior drivers then usb speed. (especially now most computers have usb2) Line 6 has great drivers and I havent seen any latency issues. Best of all it acts as a sound card/recording interface/effects unit/amp modeler you can even download pre-set favorite amp models for many bands and songs. I like how the amp comes up as a picture...then you adjust the controls just like on a real amp; same with effects. I use Audacity with it.
I believe the UX-2 model even has phantom power for mic's.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby teiscomaniac » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 am

I bought a GuitarPort a couple of years ago from my Friendly Neighborhood Guitar Center Initially, I was very excited about it. But I kept getting occasional bursts of white noise that resulted in me back at the beginning, having to go back through and get back to the tones that I'd saved. (I had come up with some patches that sounded great to me--at least through my headphones . . .)

I took it back and traded it for something else--what, I can no longer remember. I'd like to try something like that again, but I'm feeling a bit burned by the prior experience.

Maybe the GuitarPort just couldn't handle what my Teisco Spectrum 5 was putting out . . .
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 am

This Behringer V-Amp 2 kicks major ass !!!

I get better recorded tones than if I were to stick a SM-57 in front of one of my good Tube amps.
I thought this unit was gonna be a fun "toy" but, it's not.
It's a SERIOUS Tone Machine !!

I've been messing with it for 2 days and it's unbelievable.

I can dial in a "Bluesy" Jimi Hendrix tone (think Red House) and it's great !!

At $99.00 this is the deal of the Century !!
grady
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues