Guess what I did ????( *hint* I went to the DARK SIDE)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Guess what I did ????( *hint* I went to the DARK SIDE)

Postby mrmega » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:46 am

As some of you know , I was on a quest for an old old crappy all tube amp for slide. I didn't want a "good amp", because I have a lot of those!!! I wanted a nasty, dirty (needs a cleaning dirty) old, all tube amp with an "edge"... somewhat lo-fi.... you know like the old crappy 60's Sears or Western Auto amps or something, that we used to make fun of a few years ago.

I almost bought one from of the members here, (he customizes old silvertones)and I still plan too, but it wasn't the right time for me. I will pick one of those up later in the spring prolly :)

So anyways..... after scouring Ebay for countless hours, filling up 1 1/2 watch lists (thats 150 items!!!)and getting frustrated, I decided that SOME people selling crappy old tube amps are crack smokers. I'm not going to pay $500 for a crappy amp, that isnt fully functional that 10 years ago you couldn't give away at a garage sale for 10 bucks!!!! I'm not even going to pay $300 for some of the smaller ones that actually have more than 2 knobs and "mostly" work.

You know, Ebay used to be a cool place to get A LOT of good deals. My wife and I spend a lot of time on Ebay and the deals are getting harder and harder to come by. Overall I believe Ebay is driving the prices up on most things, not keeping things in check like it used to.

Anyways....

After getting frustrated I decided to go to my local music store today where I loyally invest my local spending dollars to see if he had something old and dusty laying around in a corner.

He didn't, so I started trying out amp after amp after amp.

Now, what I am about to say is going to be a shock for people who really know me. I got..... yes..... I went to the dark side.

I GOT (not one, but two) FENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! Me! mrmega!

I got the 2x12" Hot Rod De Ville and also got the Pro Junior!

I really really liked the Hot Rod. I mean REALLY liked it. The pro junior I also liked for different reasons.

So there. I have joined the dark side minions of tone. Now don't you go a thinkin'that I have totally given in. I still love my Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifer. I still love my Marshall JCM 900. I still love my highly modified custom hi gain amp... and the rest of my metal beasts. :)

I still love 7 strings and my original WH1 Whammy and my noise boxes too.

;)
mrmega
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:33 am

Mr. Mega, kudo's to you on your latest additions to your music family. You might call it the dark side but I believe that tube tone is where its at. BRB has heaps of posts and threads both pro and con but for the most part, for guys that want smokin' tone with plug in and play capability, tubes once again are wassss hapnin'! I have not played those amps you bought but have heard alot about them. My personal darkside would be a 60's era Alamo tube amp. Good luck on ya...tweek em', crank em' and spank em'!
texas blues
Regular

Postby mrmega » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:39 am

Thanks! I plan on attempting to blow the speakers up in them tomorrow ;)

I have to say that the Hot Rod is a SMOKIN' amp. The clean sound is all there, the slightly gritty and warm sound is there.... and it gets really aggressive too.

For the record I only play tube amps too... always have... always will!

TUBES RULE!!!!!!!!!

Oh hey, I ALMOST bought an alamo the other day until a bidding war broke out in the last 5 minutes... then I passed... because it wasn't fully functional!

EGADS!
mrmega
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:23 pm

Enjoy the new tools,Mr.Mega! I'll pray for your neighbors,lol! It is fun to get new amps and other tools though,isn't it.... I'm a bit of a coveter,in that I have to admit that I occasionally jus' sit and stare at something real cool that I jus' bought.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 pm

Dark Side?! That could only mean going to SOLID STATE!

Want nasty, low fi sound? Find a cheap old solid state amp, preferably with a cracked speaker cone, and crank that SOB!
ricochet
Regular

Re: Guess what I did ????( *hint* I went to the DARK SIDE)

Postby 601blues » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm

mrmega wrote:As some of you know , I was on a quest for an old old crappy all tube amp for slide. I didn't want a "good amp", because I have a lot of those!!! I wanted a nasty, dirty (needs a cleaning dirty) old, all tube amp with an "edge"... somewhat lo-fi.... you know like the old crappy 60's Sears or Western Auto amps or something, that we used to make fun of a few years ago.

I almost bought one from of the members here, (he customizes old silvertones)and I still plan too, but it wasn't the right time for me. I will pick one of those up later in the spring prolly :)

So anyways..... after scouring Ebay for countless hours, filling up 1 1/2 watch lists (thats 150 items!!!)and getting frustrated, I decided that SOME people selling crappy old tube amps are crack smokers. I'm not going to pay $500 for a crappy amp, that isnt fully functional that 10 years ago you couldn't give away at a garage sale for 10 bucks!!!! I'm not even going to pay $300 for some of the smaller ones that actually have more than 2 knobs and "mostly" work.

You know, Ebay used to be a cool place to get A LOT of good deals. My wife and I spend a lot of time on Ebay and the deals are getting harder and harder to come by. Overall I believe Ebay is driving the prices up on most things, not keeping things in check like it used to.

Anyways....

After getting frustrated I decided to go to my local music store today where I loyally invest my local spending dollars to see if he had something old and dusty laying around in a corner.

He didn't, so I started trying out amp after amp after amp.

Now, what I am about to say is going to be a shock for people who really know me. I got..... yes..... I went to the dark side.

I GOT (not one, but two) FENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! Me! mrmega!

I got the 2x12" Hot Rod De Ville and also got the Pro Junior!

I really really liked the Hot Rod. I mean REALLY liked it. The pro junior I also liked for different reasons.

So there. I have joined the dark side minions of tone. Now don't you go a thinkin'that I have totally given in. I still love my Mesa Boogie Duel Rectifer. I still love my Marshall JCM 900. I still love my highly modified custom hi gain amp... and the rest of my metal beasts. :)

I still love 7 strings and my original WH1 Whammy and my noise boxes too.

;)
MR. Mega Isee you have a JCM 900, I as well have one of those Beasts!! But I never was happy with mine, I can't seem to find info On how to connect to the speaker cab correctly!!Sound dumb I know but There are 2 outs from the amp to speakers I use only 1 4/ 12 cab if I just run one speaker cable out I get a lota hum and will blow a fuse and burn a tube, but as long as I run 2 speaker cables every thing is cool, any suggestions or explain what Iam doin wrong!
601blues
Regular

Postby mrmega » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 pm

Wow, you have me stumped there.

You might want to check the impedance requirements of the cabinet and see if you have the correct impedance selected on your head that matches the cab.

Could be an issue with a bad speaker cable too.

Have you tried different cables?

I would check all of these, and if that didnt rectify the problem, I would have it looked at. Could be something wrong in the guts of it.

Let us know what happens!!
mrmega
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 pm

mrmega wrote:Wow, you have me stumped there.

You might want to check the impedance requirements of the cabinet and see if you have the correct impedance selected on your head that matches the cab.

Could be an issue with a bad speaker cable too.

Have you tried different cables?

I would check all of these, and if that didnt rectify the problem, I would have it looked at. Could be something wrong in the guts of it.

Let us know what happens!!
Would you mind givin me a step by step detail of the way you have yours set up????1cable or 2,selections on head etc.
601blues
Regular

Postby mrmega » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm

My setup changes every time I record because I have so many amps.

When I use the JCM 900 I almost never use 2 cabinets.

Sometimes I use a boutique 4x10 open back cab, sometimes I use a Laney 4x12 closed back cab, sometimes I use one side of a Marshall 1960 stereo cab (only 2x12 of the 4x12 available), sometimes I use a full blown Marshall 4x12 and sometimes I use a smaller sized Marshall 4x12 that used to be sold in the 90's (its the same size as the 4x10, just loaded with 12's.

Sometimes I run it at full power, and sometimes I select the half power option on the back.

I cant remember what the independence of the cabs are, and I am almost sure its usually 8 ohms.

Sometimes I plug straight in the front, sometimes I run through some stomp boxes, and other times I use effects through the loop.

I have never had any trouble with my JCM 900 and I am very careful to triple check all of my cables to make sure they are hooked up correctly, and to also select the correct impedance of the cabinets.
mrmega
Regular

re: 601blues amp

Postby slickcat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 pm

The JCM 900 should have two impedance settings. 8ohm and 16ohm. The standard 4x12 cab by Marshall is 16ohms . If you use a full stack (two 4x12 cabs) then the two cabs together are 8ohms. Set the selector to match your cabinet.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:43 pm

MrMega..
Congrats on two great amps...that pro junior should sound sweet cranked for slide! 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mrmega » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks!

I'm going to slam the front end of my pro junior with my King Of Tone, and a bunch of other boost/OD pedals and see what happens shortly .

:D
mrmega
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues