Which effects/Pedals are best for the BLUES?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Which effects/Pedals are best for the BLUES?

Postby bluescontrol » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:32 am

I play a GRETSCH Electromatic and use a Fender Blues Deuxe amp...
But what should I get in the way of Pedals???? and which brands?
WAH....Crybaby....screamer....

Any help here would be great...

BLUESCONTROL
bluescontrol
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:54 am

I like the Classic Crybaby with the Fasel inductor for a wah unless you can afford a Teese. I like the Sparkle Drive from Voodoo Lab rather than the tubescreamer. The Keeley Java Boost is also a great pedal for blues.
But remember effects won't make up for the shortcomings of amp and guitar. Make sure you have a good clean or slightly dirty tone to begin with just your guitar and amp. I have 7 effects on my board (Java Boost, Boss Rotary ensemble, Microvibe, Sparkle Drive, Superfuzz, Classic Crybaby, and an Ernie Ball Volume) but 90% of the time I'm using just amp and guitar. I set my clean channel to where its overdriving a bit with the guitar volume on full and then back it down until it cleans up (about 6-7 on strat 5-6 on Paul). You can do an awful lot with a volume and tone knobs on your guitar. Effects pedals just add new colors to your base palette.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:32 pm

I usually play straight in. Turn your amp controls to the loudest, dirtiest, trebliest settings you might ever want to use, then turn down the volume and tone as desired at the guitar. Turn 'em back up when you want to.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:28 pm

stratman_27 wrote:I like the Classic Crybaby with the Fasel inductor for a wah unless you can afford a Teese. I like the Sparkle Drive from Voodoo Lab rather than the tubescreamer. The Keeley Java Boost is also a great pedal for blues.
But remember effects won't make up for the shortcomings of amp and guitar. Make sure you have a good clean or slightly dirty tone to begin with just your guitar and amp. I have 7 effects on my board (Java Boost, Boss Rotary ensemble, Microvibe, Sparkle Drive, Superfuzz, Classic Crybaby, and an Ernie Ball Volume) but 90% of the time I'm using just amp and guitar. I set my clean channel to where its overdriving a bit with the guitar volume on full and then back it down until it cleans up (about 6-7 on strat 5-6 on Paul). You can do an awful lot with a volume and tone knobs on your guitar. Effects pedals just add new colors to your base palette.
I have never been one for effects as well, I depend on my amp and hands and a good guitar, I have used a crybaby now and then, but just perfer my over drive on my amps!!Thats why Iam really excited about this new Delta classic I just got, it really responds well to the touch of my hands on tones and volume, With my Classic 4/10s and 2/12s I was and maybe still might consider tha BBE sonic stomper to mellow the 50s out
601blues
Regular

Postby blues power » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 pm

you wont need much with that amp. like stratman already said control it all with the guitar.

i learned that trick while watching buddy guy form the 2nd row about 15 years ago.

I use an OCD once in a while to pintch the amp in the butt.
you may want to check out http://www.fulltone.com

I also tend to use an EQ pedal for a clean boost
blues power
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:01 am

A Bad Monkey will do real well for you. I like the Marshall Jackhammer for that 70s sound. A good boutique fuzz is always nice.

Personally I use two pedals for the majority of the time: my MXR Dynacomp and a Phaser of some kind for a rotary sound. Phase 90 or Small Stone work well. I would get a Uni-Vibe if I could afford it.
bignick
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am

When and if I play electric I too go straight thru my amp (Fender Blues Jr) and if any pedal, I have a Dunlop Crybaby that fit all my needs! My sons have a rack full of pedals and I have tried most of atleast once and never found anythang that rang my bell!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Burkie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:13 am

I sometimes use a phaser. Years ago I was able to play through a Leslie Speaker. I get kinda' the same effect. 8)
Burkie
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Nuffin™.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby TC90 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Plug 'er in and play. I piggyback my two amps, a princeton reverb II and a music man RP112. (I'd trade 'em both for your blues deluxe- way cool 8) ) The music man has the phaser, which I use occasionally, and reverb which is usually at 0, then I'll sometimes run the lead channel on the princeton for a little extra bite, but usually just the cranked up rhythm channel, with reverb on one or two. The music man is usally tuned toward the bass side, while I let the princeton take most of the mid and highs. The music man has a tinny sound that I don't care for much, but I like the phaser at times. The reverb is all tube and has a thicker full sound. I have a tubescreamer and a danalectro overdrive, but I never use them.

Having independent gain and master controls on your blues deluxe, you should be able to dial in a whole range of tones, and then add in the different drive channels, you should be set, especially with a nice guitar like the Gretsch
Keep on Bluesin'! 8)
TC90
Regular

Postby straightblues » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 am

The best way to get overdrive is to crank up your amp really loud. If your amp is too big for the room, you will then need overdrive. Overdrive is always a second choice but I always have one in the bag. I have three. I use a Keeley Java boost if I only need a little boost. If the amp is really just too loud I use a Clark Gainster (fender tweed sound) or a Keeley modified Boss Blues Driver (also a tweed sorta sound but a lot more gain and crunch available.)

Never liked a wah. I have bought a few but I just never use them.

I also have an outboard Fender reverb that I use for my tweed amp and I also occasionaly use an Arion Chorus for that Leslie sorta vibe sounds.
straightblues
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Like everyone is saying....A good guitar through a good amp is the first choice in every chain. Effects should only add color to your tone, not totally alter it. I try to find effects that do that and Electro Harmonix seems to get it done for me. I'd love to try some Keeley stuff.

I am finding that MXR pedals are a little too invasive and they almost always boost your signal.
bignick
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 pm

I went through a "Buying Effects Pedals" phase back in the mid eighties - but luckily, it passed.

Never really used them onstage, except for this one show...I was the music and sound effects for a kid's school production of "Alladin and his Lamp". Used a Boss Digital Delay to make all kinds of drippy water cave sounds.

That's what effects are for. Effects.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:17 am

A Maxon - OD808 is all the Overdrive you'll ever need.
If someone has made a better sounding OD pedal, I haven't heard it.
and, I've heard EVERYTHING.

I can plug my Maxon into any amp I own and it'll sound great.

I have

Fender Pro Jr (one of the best amps ever)
Epi Valve Standard
Modified Kustom Tube 12

They all sound great.
grady
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues