10" Speakers (size matters!)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Postby teiscomaniac » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 am

I bought an Epi Valve Jr. head and found a Line6 1x12 cabinet at Trading Musician in Seattle for a very reasonable price. The speaker seems to have a pretty flat response without much coloration. It stands up well to the bass notes, too. I sometimes use a cool little FranTone CreamPuff fuzz pedal, which is really too much for every other amp/speaker combo I've tried. It sounds great through the EVJ and the Line 6 speaker.

The EVJ sounds completely great through my old 2x15 Teisco cab. It's loaded with (yes!) Pioneer speakers. I love the sound!
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 am

I got a "DIY package" last Saturday: Peavey combo (without the amp) with a 10" speaker and an old Fender 12" speaker.

For the moment all I had time for was connect some sepeaker wire to the 10", solder a jack at the other end and... this sounds GOOD

BUT the idea was to put the 10" speaker in my Laney, which BADLY needs another one - the original farted out and with the one the tech put in the amp sounds like absolute canine excrements

the 12" is to be mounted in the Peavey enclosure to use with the Epi.

Guess I'll be trying out how the Laney sounds through this cab, and whether I might fit the 12" in the Laney, before I start tinkering away.

3rd solution: I build a new cab for the 12", disconnect the speaker in the Laney and solder a jack input to the speaker wire, this way I can use either amp with either speaker.

come to think of it - can anyone here tell me: could I run the Epi through BOTH speakers? The Epi has 4-8-16 Ohm outputs / Peavey speaker is 8 Ohm, the Fender 16 Ohm --> how do I connect them and which output should I use?
jaybee
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 am

You could run into both speakers, if you put them in parallel (load of 12 ohms), but I wouldn't recommend it. IIRC the lower ohm speaker will do more of the work. Much better to have 2 speakers of equal impedance, wired either series or parallel. I prefer parallel because it provides a more even sound and if one speaker goes you don't end up blowing up the OPT in a tube amp.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:03 pm

thx bruce, 2 speakers together is out of the question, guess I'll go the "make a new cab and have the choice"-route
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Actually, parallelling the speakers will give a lower impedance than the lower one of the two. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but it'd end up being closer to 6 ohms, I think. Either the 4 or 8 ohm setting would work; I'd probably use the 8 ohm. The 8 ohm speaker will put out 4 times as much of the power as the 16 ohm one.

If you put them in series you'll nominally have 24 ohms. Then the 16 ohm one will be putting out 4 times as much of the power as the 8 ohm one, I think. Won't hurt your VJ to play that on the 16 ohm setting. I've played my VJ combo with 4 ohm only output through an 8 ohm cab. Didn't hurt a thing. You will get a bit more distortion.
ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Oops, you're right Rico, 5.33 ohms, that's what you get when you don't use your calculations to check...
Seriously, you can run an amp into the next speaker load up or down without much trouble. I've run both 16 ohm and 4 ohm loads from an 8 ohm tap before, no problems. Just don't try running more than a 100% mismatch.
t bone bruce
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues