10" Speakers (size matters!)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

10" Speakers (size matters!)

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm looking for input on what speakers to get for my Valve Jr. head. I'm inclined towards a 2x10 cab, as the 1x12" I've tried was too warm with my humbucker equipped guitars and the 1x8" is too bright with my Strat.

I'm probably going to get a cab from Lopo Cabs, and was thinking of Weber speakers.

I basically know nothing about how speakers relate to tone - I think I want a smoother sound rather than "crunchy" (opposite of how I like peanut butter), as I can do the Marshall thing very well with my other amps. I like the 'verge of clipping' spot, where I can get the overdriven sound by digging in.

It's tempting to just toss in the cheapest speakers and hope for the best, but I can afford to spend a little more than that.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 pm

I really like my 2x10 Fender combo for electric slide.

Not at all what you're looking at - it's a Vibroluxe Reverb, clean with a bit of breakup at club volumes.

It has the blue Jensen speakers.

For years I used a Black Faced Twin; this is a smaller, less clean version of the Fender Amp sound that I've considered the "be all, end all" Tele sound.

But I'm not that into distortion; I've spent years chasing that odd thing called "break up"

Too much Muddy Waters at too young an age, I guess.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:54 pm

I've got a 10" 70W Jensen MOD in my Pignose G40V, and I like that speaker a lot. It's fairly efficient (= loud) and is a relatively clean speaker that doesn't put a lot of its own coloration on what's coming out of the tubes. That's the way I want it. And the best part is, MODs are CHEAP!
ricochet
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:02 pm

I am a big fan of the Webers and have yet to hear one that didn't sound good no matter the guitar and pickups.

AllanLummox what guitars are you running through your rig?
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:52 pm

1998 Fender tele, stock.

And a '64 Gibson "Melody Maker" on which everything but the wood has been changed at least twice - it has a really nice after market p-90, but when I was given it (by someone who REALLY liked my playing) it had a rather silly "fine tuning" Schaller bridge - huge chunk of metal. A real Tone stealer. I replaced it with something closer to the original "stop" tailpiece.

So it's the perfect marriage of p-90 and Mahogany. It sounds like a teenage girl drinking expensive ruby Port and eating chocolate. If you know what I mean.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Sounds like a great setup. Hard to beat a good piece of mahogany w/90's.

I would think that where the cabinet is accommodating, that a 12" speaker will usually out perform a 10". At least in my experience.
texas blues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:32 am

I've been happy using a 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab together...provides some nice rumble in the lower register.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:27 am

I believe the Epi will only drive one cab at a time. I was looking for a 1x10/1x12, but no one seems to make them.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jaybee » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:35 pm

I just got a JrValve head too,, tried it at rehearsal through the speakers of an old LabSeries 2x12, sounded great! Too bad my friend made it VERY cleaer he was NOY ging to sell me the LS... but he's got a 12" Eminence lying around and I've probably found a cab for it: an old Peavey of which the amp has been removed because broken beyond repair, that has been standing in the way in his tech's workplace, so if the speaker fits in it, I'll get that (for little or no money - ok, I'll be buying a round or two next time we get together 8) ). Cheap and fast way to make a speaker cab :wink:
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:51 am

Yeah, I made a 1x8" out of my old Peavey Rage amp. I want something a bit nicer, though.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jaybee » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:02 am

rustyslide wrote:Yeah, I made a 1x8" out of my old Peavey Rage amp. I want something a bit nicer, though.

I want to make sure it sounds the way I like it with a 1x12", before I start spending money (that's a first: sensible GAS :wink:) - I'll try it with 1x10" and 2x10" too, if I like it and it stays more than 6 months, I might buy a "dedicated" cab, the other one can stay as "spare/extension for my Laney"
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:16 pm

I've got a nice 15" Gemini PA speaker that I use bare as an amp test speaker. Got to build a cab for it.

Got to build my doggone head, too! I've had all the stuff since last April.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:17 am

ricochet wrote:...

you mean that pic on the left is just the frame, and you still have to install the contents? :lol:
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:29 pm

jaybee wrote:
ricochet wrote:...

you mean that pic on the left is just the frame, and you still have to install the contents?

ssssh. Nobody likes being reminded that they're a zombie.

I'm going to hold off on speakers until after my attenuator arrives, which should be this week.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Check out what I posted last night. Then decide.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues