Bass feeeeeEEEEEEEEEEDback

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Bass feeeeeEEEEEEEEEEDback

Postby Ajoten » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:57 pm

I use a resonator bass and am plagued with feedback, and I'm not sure of the best way of dealing with it. It hasn't got much in the way of soundhole to cover up with tape (or shove a towel into) and I can't stand away from the amp.

Would a parametric or graphic eq pedal be enough to stop it? Feedback destroyer rack units scare me and I can't work out if you can put them inline like a stomp box or whether it's all much more complicated than that.

My option at the mo is to get a solid body bass. But none is as ace as the reso.

Any input gratefully received.
Ajoten
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 pm

You may be able to use an EQ pedal, Play with each of the settings and find the frequency that causes feedback, however this may destroy your tone, is there any possibility of changing amp location?
Bournio
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Noise gates can be helpful here too, as they stop the feedback sound occuring at the low level that builds up. As a harp player I've used one when other techniques to avoid feedback have failed.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:09 pm

I think the EQ pedal's your best bet.
ricochet
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:19 pm

If you can't stand away from the amp then you'll have to turn it down or buy a solid body. With any resophonic instrument you get to a volume level where it feeds back on so many frequencies that nothing stops it. I've even defeated a 10-band feedback eliminator box with a resophonic guitar.

I have a reso bass but I wouldn't play it in a rock band situation because I can't stop it feeding back when it's loud and I'm in front of the amp.
louisianagrey
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues