Tubulator's Back On Sale!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tubulator's Back On Sale!

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:06 am

But temproarily out of stock. MF says it should be available around February 6, 2007. $9.99. This is a good sounding pedal. Others who've delved into its guts say it's quite like the circuit of a TS-808.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=150509
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:02 am

Hey Ric, where'd you see the Tubulator for that 9.99 price? My MF web link comes up 29.99. I know sometimes you have to phone them to get sale prices. I looked in the sale flyer that just came out and I didn't see it in there. Was that in one of those little flyers that comes with a purchase or where did you see that 9.99?

Thanks, Mike
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Came straight from a post over on http://valvejunior.com/ from which I copied the link.

I did buy mine for $9.99 from MF a while back.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bignick » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:49 pm

Yes they do have the same chip as the old Screamers. I was debating on picking one of these up and throwing the internals into a heavier casing.

Ric, I heard that the switches on these things were extremely bad? The reviews on Arion's effects are all hit or miss. You either love them, or they break and you hate them. My uncle had an Arion Stereo Chorus and that never gave him or myself any trouble. Sounded really nice!

They did jump up to 29.99 for about a day, for some reason. They are back down now. Have you tried the Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss DS-1 Ric? I'd like to get a comparison before I purchase. I own the other two already.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Mine hasn't broken yet, nor has Joe's. I really don't use effects much, preferring generally to plug straight in. I can't give you a comparison with the Bad Monkey or DS-1, never having tried them.
ricochet
Regular

Postby JLynn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:46 am

I've got all 3 of these pedals. Let me throw em down and see what gives. I haven't had time to play with the Tubulator much though...but it's pretty close to a screamer from what I recall. Mine has a bit of a delay when activating the switch (i.e. no sound at all) and that is a bit of a let down for me but for 9.99 I'm not gonna complain. The Bad Monkey is a great pedal...kind of a screamer without the mid boost and a lot of eq control. I got the DS-1 on recommendation for a solo boost only (since it is a rather bright pedal)...and I must admit I haven't had a lot of time to incorporate it into my live rig yet. I'm sure on a head to head comparison it will be much different from the Bad Monkey and the Arion since Boss uses a different clipping method. I've been on a pedal kick lately but haven't had the time to find there places yet :? I recently picked up a used Timmy by Paul Cochrane (expensive I know) but man it really is a sweet and smooth overdrive so it's been getting all of my attention lately.

Now the Arion chorus...that is a sweet pedal. It nails a faux Leslie like you wouldn't believe!
JLynn
Regular

Postby JLynn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:25 am

So just had a moment to compare the Bad Monkey, DS-1, and Tubulator. Only spent about 30 min but didn't take long to distinguish the differences.

Overall I find the Bad Monkey to be most versatile you can roll back the lvl and gain and use as bass & Treble controls as a subtle EQ or go for a tubescreamer sound to a full tilt distortion and all spaces between.

The tubulator is a good TS clonish pedal....it does that and nothing else (which is fine). I mentioned the cut out of the pedal in my previous post but forgot that was actually a friend of mines tubulator...mine is fine with no delay when hitting the switch.

Last...the DS-1 is so different from these 2 pedals it's not really even fair to compare it. It is definitely meant to be a distortion box because it has way less onboard clean vol boost than either of the other two pedals. Having them all side to side if I had to pick one of the 3 I'd choose the Bad Monkey.
JLynn
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:32 am

But, can you get one for $9.99? :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby JLynn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:13 am

ricochet wrote:But, can you get one for $9.99? :D

Nope....but at $30-40 for a Bad Monkey your still in the league of great deals. Even as a bang for the buck comparison...the monkey wins in my opinion.
JLynn
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:05 am

The Tubulator may eventually go back to 9.99 but it has been at 29.99 since your post Ric. I keep watching it, to get one, but it hasn't dropped yet.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby JLynn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:The Tubulator may eventually go back to 9.99 but it has been at 29.99 since your post Ric. I keep watching it, to get one, but it hasn't dropped yet.

Just checked MF's clearance page today (1/30) and the Tubulator is back to 9.99 again for those that are waiting.
JLynn
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:31 pm

I'd definitely rather pay $9.99 than $29.99 for it.

BTW, a few days ago I ordered a couple of Arion compressor pedals from MF at $9.99 apiece.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 5_iron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 am

Woo Hoo! Got me one today. Can't beat that price with a whoopin' stick.

Thanks Ric and JLynn!

5-iron
5_iron
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:51 am

I'm sorry, but maybe I am stupid. $9.99 for a pedal of any kind? I wouldn't think about it, just like I wouldn't even look at a $27.50 guitar. How good could it be? Educate me please. What makes a $10.00 pedal worth the measley 10 bucks? Does it have a $10 sound?
texas blues
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

texas blues wrote:I'm sorry, but maybe I am stupid. $9.99 for a pedal of any kind? I wouldn't think about it, just like I wouldn't even look at a $27.50 guitar. How good could it be? Educate me please. What makes a $10.00 pedal worth the measley 10 bucks? Does it have a $10 sound?

Obviously it's good, or people wouldn't be excited by the price. This idea that price dictates quality is more than a little off in my experience - not with expensive Gibsons that are crap and amazing Chinese and Japanese guitars that are "cheap".
rustyslide
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Blues