lap steel pickup setting

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

lap steel pickup setting

Postby podunk_phill » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:57 am

I've picked up an old Supro Oahu lap steel that has been modified the old electronics have been taken out and replaced with a neck pickup a gold foil filtertron brand and a unknown bridge pickup. They both have individual pole screws and I would like to set them for more responce. They seem to be a little far from the strings. Is there a standard distance for pickup settings? If there is please clue me in. Thanks in advance.
Phill
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby huge blues » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:02 am

Pole piece height is one of those things that's a tad subjective. You want them high enough to get good tone but NOT too high as to get string dampening from the magnetic field. I play a couple of Magnatone lapsteels with the pickups buried in the body under the mother-of-toiletseat wrap. I'd say those are probably a good 1/2 inch below the strings. They (like most laps i've played/heard) snarl like pissed-off weasels.

I'd check this and tinker away:
http://mediawebsource.com/guitar/pickupadjust.htm

Being able to back them off might be a good thing to have.
huge blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:16 pm

I like 'em close and hot. The old Gibson standard of 3/16" for a neck pickup and 1/8" for a bridge pickup is a pretty good start generally, IMO.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues