Tiny digital recorders

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tiny digital recorders

Postby De Ferre » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:52 pm

Gentle people,

Has anyone here any experience with these new multitrack digital recorders on the market?

I'm thinking of the Boss micro BR, for example. For 200 euros you can record rehearsals or song ideas with its built-in microphone (or use a better one connected). Then download it in your PC via USB, process it, burn a CD, make a demo for bandmates... etc. Also a good idea for acoustic players.

I wonder whether it sounds good or crappy.

Thanks in advance!!!
De Ferre
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:42 pm

Just bought a Boss Micro BR. Won't know how it sounds for a while, as it's going under the tree with my boy's name on it. But my buddy Billy Crawford thinks it's the stuff, and that's a good enough recommendation for me!
ricochet
Regular

Postby huge blues » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:55 pm

I can vouch for Fostex digital recorders. I have an MR-8 with two inputs that runs on CF cards. Took awhile to get through the learning curve but it's been very good to me. I'm able to record everything the band does be it a rehearsal or gig. Since it's a CF card I only need to pull it out of the unit and put it into my tower to get at the sound files. I will likely upgrade to the MR-8HD model with four inputs and a hard-drive.
huge blues
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:35 am

Ricochet, I wait for your first impressions. I value your opinion!

Huge Blues, in fact the Fostex mr8hd is the second one I have in my list. But I think is a step higher, not in price, but in easyness of use. I would need some time to set it properly before any recording and it won't run on batteries. I really like the xlr inputs though and the bigger capacity. I regard it as a more serious approach to recording. I would need to buy a few extra mics.

Thanks for the feedback!!!
De Ferre
Regular

Postby slickcat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:21 am

Here is another "field recorder" portable and gets great reviews.
I have no personal experience with it.
I too have a interest in the Boss unit Rico has purchased.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=240219
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby huge blues » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:37 pm

De Ferre,
I did examine some smaller Tascam and Korg units before I got the Fostex. In the end it boiled down to amount of inputs and the type of exported file for the money. I got into recording to have a "sketchpad" for ideas. It did take on a life of it's own and required some more cash outlay but the results got better and better. I usually will opine that recording isn't rocket science but runs a close second. Do make use of online forums such as:

http://homerecording.com/

And look into a decent (and free) wave editor. I use:

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html
huge blues
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:07 pm

I just got a micro BR for Christmas, so I haven't really messed with it much. The built in mike works OK but obviously picks up all kinds of background noise too, drum tracks are pretty limited as you would expect (when will they ever put a Bo Diddley rhythm in these things?) but seem to work adequately. The facility to import MP3s is handy if you want to do collaborations with other people, so I've loaded a couple of half-done tracks onto mine to work up into something.

The other facilities like the virtual tracks, the effects and the automatic mastering sound very useful but I haven't had time to try them yet.
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:56 am

I also ordered one yesterday. Let's see what I can do with it when it arrives...
De Ferre
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues